• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Kent Hovind: Broccoli man

! If it was to be said that these "other " theories" suggest no Creator then I would then claim ID IS a falsifiable theory by the same notion.
Pretty much as usual, then. Creationisn/ID is not a scientific theory, it's just a reaction TO a theory.

You cannot falsify ID, the closest you could come is IFF evo theory said gods did not affect change in the past, you could say, 'Nuh-uh.'

It's not my actual reaction really
Then you bring it up to...?
although I do wonder why the big-bang is a theory by the falsifiable method mentioned here for example ?

Well, do you understand the observations made that led to the formulation of the BBT? That might help you figger out what it would take to falsify it...

Not until these occur first:

1) A hypothesis of intelligent design is written which comports with standard scientific protocols and procedures, including testing regimens, data collection, a null hypothesis and clear falsifiability indicators.

2) The hypothesis is actually tested and results published to give others a chance to review it.

May require further in-depth QM level e.g. Higgs field and beyond to suss out ,but you're are right with the procedures. Just a bit more time to know either way maybe?

3) A consensus of scientists within the disciplines over which the hypothesis stretches is reached. That would include at least physics, chemistry and biology.

Your ID pals from the Discovery Institute have yet to do this. Why not?

I suppose secular or humanists have had quite a head start in the last 100 years or so with science institutions seperated from the religious influences who went by the theology. No thought of Startrek or ID till much recent in comparison to the old established schools.

It's not my actual reaction really
although I do wonder why the big-bang is a theory by the falsifiable method mentioned here for example ?

Well, do you understand the observations made that led to the formulation of the BBT? That might help you figger out what it would take to falsify it...

Everyone brings something up and I said I wouldn't claim such a thing really because "it sounded silly".

Observations of the "current data" only available that led someone or the consensus (if you must) to the "interpretation" of natural processes / data giving the formulation of the BBT ?

IDer's are using the same data but see different formulations ! (is all it is)

Everyone brings something up and I said I wouldn't claim such a thing really because "it sounded silly".

Observations of the "current data" only available that led someone or the consensus (if you must) to the "interpretation" of natural processes / data giving the formulation of the BBT ?

That doesn't make any sense. Perhaps you could describe what you think both the BB theory is and more importantly what you think the ID "model" claims - and on what data they base those claims.

Observation of data?
The observations are data.
I don't think you understand this stuff very well.
No, they are not using the same data.

They start with their desired conclusion and filter the data to fit that.
If they cannot fit it in, they discard, demonize, marginalize, or just lie about the observations.

The Lady Hope tale, quote-mining, etc.

That doesn't make any sense. .

It makes sense because there wasn't anyone there from the start (to state the obvious) so we make do with whats available.

Perhaps you could describe what you think both the BB theory is and more importantly what you think the ID "model" claims - and on what data they base those claims

Both BBT and ID are philosophies. Models of philosophical pov's, if you will - and ID base their idea on examples such as DNA (the same material under scrutiny) containing coding / instructions (what ever name you or they call it).

Observation of data?
The observations are data.
I don't think you understand this stuff very well.
No, they are not using the same data.

They start with their desired conclusion and filter the data to fit that.
If they cannot fit it in, they discard, demonize, marginalize, or just lie about the observations.

The Lady Hope tale, quote-mining, etc.

Ok but pardon me , I'm learning new things everyday . Lets say then; the same "subject matter" and each to his own data gathering and formulations.

Babbling away like a brook. I am beginning to suspect that this is a feature, not a bug of your posting habits, as someone else pointed out earlier. The point of posting something is to communicate ideas. If the language you use doesn't make sense, then you are failing at communication. Again, if you want to be taken seriously you have to be understood; so please try to frame your thoughts in clear, coherent slices, and use those slices to build your sentences using proper grammar and syntax.

This makes no sense. What are you trying to say here? Observations are data. If observations for a particular phenomenon are not available, then we lack data on the phenomenon. Current data is all the data we have at the present time, and presumably this data is available to people who made the observations and to others who are using the observations in their work. Or else it would not be a part of the set that makes up "current data". What is your confusion stemming from?

What do you mean by
"interpretation" of natural processes / data giving the formulation of the BBT

The Big Bang Theory is a mathematical model that was developed to fit the observations we have collected over the past 90 years, observations which show
1. that the universe is expanding, and
2. that the rate of expansion of the universe is accelerating

Are you questioning the data or the model that was built to fit the data? What specifically are you questioning?
1. Are you suggesting the observations are flawed? If so, how so? Please be specific. Do you even know how astronomers measure distances to other stars and galaxies?
2. Are you questioning the Big Bang Model that was developed using the observations? If yes, what methodology or construct or assumption are you questioning? Please be specific. Do you even know what the Big Bang Model is, what it predicts, and how its predictions match the data?

Nonsense. IDers don't do scientific research; their belief system is based on the premise that the Bible (or some other holy book) is the truth and cannot questioned. This is dogma, which is the opposite of science. Prove me wrong. Show me how IDers are interpreting observations from our telescopes that show an expanding universe and matching it to what their preferred holy book says. Be specific. Discuss the data that was interpreted, the assumptions made, and the conclusions drawn by these mythical IDers who are using scientific data to support their religious beliefs.

While it is fascinating to occasionally get a glimpse into the thought processes of someone whose mind does not appear to work like the minds of normal adult humans, it gets tiresome after a while. And frustrating if you are actually trying to have a conversation with them.

Babbling away like a brook

I never realised I was seriously that bad. Anways, a lot to get through in your post.

I think the incoherent rambling is a symptom, not the root cause of your failure to communicate effectively. You appear to know very little about science or what we know when it comes to things like cosmology and biology. If what you say here can be taken as an indicator of what goes on in your mind, you appear to believe in some sort of amorphous, poorly defined theology that you can't even define even in your own head.

Ignorance can be cured, but it takes work. Instead of spending time watching Hovind videos, I suggest you start reading books on science. The universe is magnificent and full of wonder, but you can only unlock this wonder through knowledge. Why lock up your mind in a small box filled with old superstitions when you can set it free? The universe has given you an incredibly complex and powerful brain, nourish it and teach it to think and the rewards will be worth it, I promise you.

Learner said:
Well I'll have to admit here (not that it was a hidden thing) and as coming from a different angle, I never knew much about the cosmological argument and a few others, (if I did at all) not untill I read Lion's and Remez's posts (plus others in discussion) and believe it or not : discovered who William Lane Craig was (genuine thanks to members on the forum ) I leave other theists to it , not needing to attempt to try and understand if I think its a little complex to delve into (I'm converted anyway).

The Cosmological Argument, as against spontaneity-of-the-gaps, is as easy to understand (parsimonious) as the claim that a stationary billiard ball sitting on a billiard table won't suddenly start moving spontaneously. It certainly won't randomly start moving (for no apparent reason) in a straight line at the exact required angle aimed directly towards the back left pocket.

Science doesn't claim that the billiard ball will start moving spontaneously. As Newton's first law of motion tells us, a body at rest (with respect to some local coordinate system, in this case the table) will remain at rest unless it is acted upon by an unbalanced force. I think you are confusing the quantum world with the macroscopic reality we experience through our senses. They are very different things. In the quantum world, particles can pop into existence out of nothing, and then disappear very shortly after. In the world we experience, the world of humans and trees and tables, billiard balls don't pop out of existence out of nothing, nor do they start moving or experience changes in momentum unless it is through their interaction with matter/energy.

The billiard ball not move unless it is acted upon by an unbalanced force. However, given enough time, the arrow of time dictates that the ball will start to erode away as the outer molecules making up the ball detach themselves from the surface of the ball and drift away. But this is a completely different phenomenon than the one you described.

Also noteworthy is the fact that although the ball is stationary from our perspective, it is, in fact, moving at an enormous speed along with the planet it is sitting on the surface of. Nothing in the universe is truly static.

And yet according to atheism we are expected to believe that such a spooky scenario is a perfectly reasonable theory and better alternative to the theistic First Cause argument which says that deliberate (personal) intent is the instigator of such an event.

See above. The ball will not move by itself. However, at the fundamental level our reality behaves very differently than objects we perceive with our senses, and this behavior is described by quantum mechanics. The science of Quantum Mechanics is well established, and verified through countless experiments.

If you want your argument for an intelligent creator to be taken seriously, you have to do better than to point at scripture. You have to explain how this creator came to exist, how it exists without being subject to the arrow of time, how it created the universe out of nothing, and how it created life from dust. You know this, but you don't have any answers or evidence to support your beliefs, so you keep waving your hands around and attacking science. You have nothing, and you and I both know that.

Atheism traces to motion of the billiard ball back in time to when it first started moving (Big Bang) and wants us to believe that the ball spontaneously popped into existence and began to roll. And when asked why the billard ball is not only moving but accelerating, once again, they appeal to spooky invisible dark energy whose ways are mysterious and beyond understanding.

Again, this is incorrect. The billiard ball did not spontaneously pop into existence, it was created by humans. However, the conditions that allowed humans and the billiard ball to exist can be traced back to the initial conditions when our universe began. That much is true.

Dark energy is a placeholder. We don't understand dark energy today, but we can study the effect it has on spacetime. If we keep studying the problem we will probably solve it one day. That is how science works. Just because we don't currently understand what dark energy is doesn't mean your preferred supernatural creature created the universe. Even if we are completely wrong about dark energy it still wouldn't be evidence that your preferred god exists. You understand this, right?

And when the perfectly aimed billiard ball lands squarely in the pocket we are still told it's not billiards - but some trompe L'oel which our pattern seeking brains are imagining.

Our brains see patterns everywhere, probably because it helped our ancestors survive in the wilderness before we invented civilization. But our minds deceive us all the time. Children see monsters in the closet, adults see gods. Especially if said adults have been indoctrinated into believing in supernatural gods from early childhood.

I get it. Through your flawed analogy you wanted to show us that life couldn't possibly exist without the actions of some supernatural creator. You want to believe in god so badly that you are willing to ignore facts and reason. But I'm not.

I think the incoherent rambling is a symptom, not the root cause of your failure to communicate effectively. You appear to know very little about science or what we know when it comes to things like cosmology and biology. If what you say here can be taken as an indicator of what goes on in your mind, you appear to believe in some sort of amorphous, poorly defined theology that you can't even define even in your own head.

I'm sure you're quite mistaken with that pov. Your previous post for example, inplies (in error) that Intelligent-design is the argument made purely from Christian theology ,based on the bible and Kent Hovind .

Ignorance can be cured, but it takes work. Instead of spending time watching Hovind videos, I suggest you start reading books on science. The universe is magnificent and full of wonder, but you can only unlock this wonder through knowledge. Why lock up your mind in a small box filled with old superstitions when you can set it free? The universe has given you an incredibly complex and powerful brain, nourish it and teach it to think and the rewards will be worth it, I promise you.

As the paragraph above, my interest of ID cane from people like Stephen Meyer and co. before I became a B.A. Christian,as my earliest of forum posts would indicate.

Reactions: WAB
The Big Bang Theory is a mathematical model that was developed to fit the observations we have collected over the past 90 years, observations which show
1. that the universe is expanding, and
2. that the rate of expansion of the universe is accelerating

Ahh... know that one.

Are you questioning the data or the model that was built to fit the data? What specifically are you questioning?
1. Are you suggesting the observations are flawed? If so, how so? Please be specific. Do you even know how astronomers measure distances to other stars and galaxies?
2. Are you questioning the Big Bang Model that was developed using the observations? If yes, what methodology or construct or assumption are you questioning? Please be specific. Do you even know what the Big Bang Model is, what it predicts, and how its predictions match the data?

I'm not suggesting the observations are flawed but I am saying not all scientists entirely agree with the theory even though oddly enough, one of the originators of the concept was a "priest". A theistic IDer if you will. Besides I don't have a problem with the BB , and also its not a confliction imo to creation.

Nonsense. IDers don't do scientific research; their belief system is based on the premise that the Bible (or some other holy book) is the truth and cannot questioned. This is dogma, which is the opposite of science. Prove me wrong. Show me how IDers are interpreting observations from our telescopes that show an expanding universe and matching it to what their preferred holy book says. Be specific. Discuss the data that was interpreted, the assumptions made, and the conclusions drawn by these mythical IDers who are using scientific data to support their religious beliefs.

IDer's are not all Christian! i.e IDers Not looking into the bible for scientific answers!

While it is fascinating to occasionally get a glimpse into the thought processes of someone whose mind does not appear to work like the minds of normal adult humans, it gets tiresome after a while. And frustrating if you are actually trying to have a conversation with them.

You'd have to get a little more info, I say obviously, in order to be able tell . Some people may just speak better than they write or post. ( I do hope so in my case).

Discuss the data that was interpreted, the assumptions made, and the conclusions drawn by these mythical IDers who are using scientific data to support their religious beliefs.

IDer's are not all Christian! i.e IDers Not looking into the bible for scientific answers!
No, some are muslim. But still, it's accurate to say ID is attempting to further religious beliefs with filtered (or made-up) science.
If there's any objective science to it, then you'd think some would have been provided at one or another trial to see if ID violates CSS, wouldn't you?

So something is only true in science if someone wins $250,000?

I don't think you understand how science works. You should consider going back to elementary school.

Another stupid indirection attempt by LIRC. There never was a $250k prize...it was a pathetic attempt by Kunt Hovind to detract from Evolution in favour of his creationist garbage. In the end, Hovind's $250k, and a further $180400 were "won" by the IRS, as that was the amount that he was ordered to forfeit when he went to jail for tax crimes. Hovind is yet another true xtian criminal.

Oh, it was one of those things?

Yeah, there was a Catholic Bishop who offered a six figure prize (of the Church's money, no less) to anyone who could prove that the Earth orbits the Sun instead of the other way around. Despite the fact that we all know that the evidence points to heliocentrism, he never paid out the money because belief in geocentrism was a religious belief to him, and he would not accept any evidence that contradicted what he already believed.

That's how these things work. Every. Time.

I'm sure you're quite mistaken with that pov. Your previous post for example, inplies (in error) that Intelligent-design is the argument made purely from Christian theology ,based on the bible and Kent Hovind .

Your post does not actually address what I was talking about. It is hard to understand what you are trying to communicate because your posts lack coherence and structure that systematically lay out your arguments.

Most people believe our universe was created by an intelligent entity because of what they read in their sacred religious texts. This could be the Bible or Quran or some other book. There may be a small number of people who are not religious but still believe in creation, but they are few and far between. Feel free to point out the errors in my arguments and list them out here; something tells me you won't do that.

As the paragraph above, my interest of ID cane from people like Stephen Meyer and co. before I became a B.A. Christian,as my earliest of forum posts would indicate.

My point was that you should seek knowledge from more traditional sources, like science textbooks and university lectures you can often find online, before turning to sources like Hovind. Hovind frequently lies, either by direct misstatement of the facts, or by omission of the facts, in his videos. If all you watch is Hovind, you are missing out on the information that really matters, that is testable and documented through the scientific process, and getting a very biased view of reality.

For example, Hovind frequently makes the claim that evolution cannot be true because dogs always give birth to dogs, not other animals. This makes no sense because the theory of evolution (TOE) does not claim that dogs give birth to other animals. The TOE tells us that the offspring of dogs (or any other living thing) are indeed dogs (!) but they are not genetic clones of their parents. Mutations in the male and female reproductive cells that come together to make the dog embryo make the genes of the next generation slightly different from those of the previous generation. These variations accumulate over many generations, and given enough time this can and does lead to speciation. So 200,000 generations from today, one group of descendants of what of we today call a dog, may not be like a dog at all, and it may not be able to reproduce with other descendants of modern dogs that have evolved in reproductive isolation from the first group. That is how evolution works. And people like Hovind either don't understand, or choose not to understand this concept, so they attack strawman ideas that they have constructed instead.

Your post does not actually address what I was talking about. It is hard to understand what you are trying to communicate because your posts lack coherence and structure that systematically lay out your arguments.

Most people believe our universe was created by an intelligent entity because of what they read in their sacred religious texts. This could be the Bible or Quran or some other book. There may be a small number of people who are not religious but still believe in creation, but they are few and far between. Feel free to point out the errors in my arguments and list them out here; something tells me you won't do that.

It addresses your the point because I.D. is NOT soley a religious idea , which you seem to be trying to make out , giving the impression (deliberately if not mistakenly perhaps @ myself in regards to Hovind) that anyone coming to the idea , would be, by mere faith , without any reasoning at all (I agree some do). Now I don't pretend to have more than the "average" I.Q. but rationality is not beyond theists living in the modern world, who DO acknowledge and accept science, (who would be levels above me of course).

My point was that you should seek knowledge from more traditional sources, like science textbooks and university lectures you can often find online, before turning to sources like Hovind. Hovind frequently lies, either by direct misstatement of the facts, or by omission of the facts, in his videos. If all you watch is Hovind, you are missing out on the information that really matters, that is testable and documented through the scientific process, and getting a very biased view of reality.

Yes of course, and in regards to myself, I have understood "the obvious" for quite some time. You highlight Hovind as if, he was the one-and-only main source for theists to learn and argue from.

For example, Hovind frequently makes the claim that evolution cannot be true because dogs always give birth to dogs, not other animals. This makes no sense because the theory of evolution (TOE) does not claim that dogs give birth to other animals. The TOE tells us that the offspring of dogs (or any other living thing) are indeed dogs (!) but they are not genetic clones of their parents. Mutations in the male and female reproductive cells that come together to make the dog embryo make the genes of the next generation slightly different from those of the previous generation. These variations accumulate over many generations, and given enough time this can and does lead to speciation. So 200,000 generations from today, one group of descendants of what of we today call a dog, may not be like a dog at all, and it may not be able to reproduce with other descendants of modern dogs that have evolved in reproductive isolation from the first group. That is how evolution works. And people like Hovind either don't understand, or choose not to understand this concept, so they attack strawman ideas that they have constructed instead.

Was he not making the point that the "science method" i.e. real-time observation etc. is not for example in the underlined of your above quote, not documented evidence ( but its accepted and taught as if it was .. is Hovind's point).

Last edited:
It addresses your the point because I.D. is NOT soley a religious idea , which you seem to be trying to make out , giving the impression (deliberately if not mistakenly perhaps @ myself in regards to Hovind) that anyone coming to the idea , would be, by mere faith , without any reasoning at all (I agree some do). Now I don't pretend to have more than the "average" I.Q. but rationality is not beyond theists living in the modern world, who DO acknowledge and accept science, (who would be levels above me of course).
but every single time ID goes to court, accused of being religion rather than science, the ID proponents have failed to provide a non-religious basis for ID.

This is kinda significant.
It's not just that a science teacher was caught on the spot. Various experts show up each time, with every chance to show at least enough science to convince a conservative, Christain judge on the merits.

Fail.

A go-no go: how would you falsify ID theory?

If it can't be falsified, it isn't science.

Was he not making the point that the "science method" i.e. real-time observation etc. is not for example in the underlined of your above quote, not documented evidence ( but its accepted and taught as if it was .. is Hovind's point).
Um, where do you find this definition of the scientific method?

Back
Top Bottom