• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

King in His Own Words on MLK Day

It is stuff like this that gets you killed.

You know, moderation and morality.

More:

MLK said:
In communism, the individual ends up in subjection to the state. True, the Marxists would argue that the state is an 'interim' reality which is to be eliminated when the classless society emerges; but the state is the end while it lasts, and man is only a means to that end. And if man's so-called rights and liberties stand in the way of that end, they are simply swept aside. His liberties of expression, his freedom to vote, his freedom to listen to what news he likes or to choose his books are all restricted. Man becomes hardly more, in communism, than a depersonalized cog in the turning wheel of the state.

This deprecation of individual freedom was objectionable to me. I am convinced now, as I was then, that man is an end because he is a child of God. Man is not made for the state; the state is made for man. To deprive man of freedom is to relegate him to the status of a thing, rather than elevate him to the status of a person. Man must never be treated as means to the end of the state; but always as an end within himself."

Kings condemnation of Communism didn't stop the FBI, and many others, from calling him one.

“I am now convinced that the simplest approach will prove to be the most effective – the solution to poverty is to abolish it directly by a now widely discussed matter: the guaranteed income… The curse of poverty has no justification in our age. It is socially as cruel and blind as the practice of cannibalism at the dawn of civilization, when men ate each other because they had not yet learned to take food from the soil or to consume the abundant animal life around them. The time has come for us to civilize ourselves by the total, direct and immediate abolition of poverty.” .
Where do We Go from Here?, 1967

“You can’t talk about solving the economic problem of the Negro without talking about billions of dollars. You can’t talk about ending the slums without first saying profit must be taken out of slums. You’re really tampering and getting on dangerous ground because you are messing with folk then. You are messing with captains of industry. Now this means that we are treading in difficult water, because it really means that we are saying that something is wrong with capitalism.”
– Speech to his staff, 1966.

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/01/11-most-anti-capitalist-quotes-from-martin-luther-king-jr/

The biggest problem in the slums does not appear to be all the profit being taken in them. That one seems to be an airball.

Not a MLK quote but I read this in Reader's Digest recently:

..we’ve never said protests are the answer,
but protests create space for the answer.

Protest is disruption.

Protest is confrontation.

Protest is the end of silence and what protest does is it creates space for the other work to happen.

And I think that, that space is there. We’ve exposed the problem. Now we’re in the phase where people are like something has to change. People who would otherwise have never focused on this, who would never be in places like this are now like interested in it…

http://www.ebony.com/news-views/ferguson-forward-deray-mckesson-222#axzz3xj1ufJ99

Sounds impressive, but I don't get it.

He is saying that capitalism and communism represent extremes.

Capitalism (as it existed and still exists in the US) in it's extreme denial of society and the collective needs of society and communism (as it existed in the Soviet Union) in it's extreme denial of personal freedoms.

King is saying that a better society would exist without these extremes.

We call this today Social Democracy and it has it's best examples in places like Germany and Finland.

And it is what Bernie Sanders is calling for.

Moderation. Even if some extremists want to portray HIM as the extremist.

Sounds impressive, but I don't get it.

Capitalism (as it existed and still exists in the US) in it's extreme denial of society and the collective needs of society and communism (as it existed in the Soviet Union) in it's extreme denial of personal freedoms.

We call this today Social Democracy and it has it's best examples in places like Germany and Finland.

Tip: You're being statist now. You're advocating a much larger role for the state in our lives than we currently have. This is what statists do.

Tip: You're being statist now. You're advocating a much larger role for the state in our lives than we currently have. This is what statists do.

I am advocating for a certain kind of state as long as they exist.

Yes, a bigger more intrusive one. This is what statists advocate for. Those who are not statists advocate a smaller less intrusive state -- so long as they exist.

Yes, a bigger more intrusive one. This is what statists advocate for. Those who are not statists advocate a smaller less intrusive state -- so long as they exist.

More intrusive how?

Is a State that provides decent social services more intrusive in doing so?

What are you talking about?

More intrusive how?

Well, if the government forces me to use and pay for government health insurance instead of allowing citizens to buy and or sell the health insurance they like that's a bigger more intrusive government.

It's bigger, in that it's doing more, taxing more and spending more; and more intrusive in that it's forbidding individual citizens from achieving their own desired ends.

More intrusive how?

Well, if the government forces me to use and pay for government health insurance instead of allowing citizens to buy and or sell the health insurance they like that's a bigger more intrusive government.

It's bigger, in that it's doing more, taxing more and spending more; and more intrusive in that it's forbidding individual citizens from achieving their own desired ends.

Changes in the tax structure is not a change in the nature of government intrusion.

What is this intrusion you speak of?

Changes in the tax structure is not a change in the nature of government intrusion.

What is this intrusion you speak of?

Is this the dance you must go through to convince yourself you're not a statist while continuously advocating state control over more and more things?

Back
Top Bottom