• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Koalemos

Cheerful Charlie

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Strong Atheist
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koalemos

In Greek mythology, Koalemos is the god of stupidity,[1] mentioned once by Aristophanes,[2] and being found also in Lives by Plutarch.[3] Coalemus is the Latin spelling of the name. Sometimes it is referred to as a daimon, more of a spirit and minor deity.
Otherwise, the word κοάλεμος was used in the sense of "stupid person" or also "idiots".[4][5]
An ancient false etymology derives κοάλεμος from κοέω (koeō) "perceive" and ἡλεός (ēleos) "distraught, crazed".[6] Its etymology is not established, however.[7]

----

Finally, a god worth knowing.

I imagine that priests of that god probably had to take a lot of shit from everybody.

This makes sense...I am a child of Koalemos. I will have a hard time remembering how to spell and pronounce my new god..goddess.

My understanding is that in Gnostic and other mysticisms that belong to Abrahamic religions, the world wasn't created by God, but by a being called the "Demiurge". The world also sucks. This isn't because the Demiurge is malevolent, exactly. He's just incompetent.

Back
Top Bottom