• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Leah Remini new show about Scientology

Angry Floof

Tricksy Leftits
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Humanist
I put this in social science because that's where I think discussions of cults belong, but mods feel free to move it if you see fit.

Leah Remini is developing a TV show about Scientology

Leah Remini is creating a show about Scientology, specifically focusing on how the cult divides families. There are so many stories... she easily has the content for several seasons on that topic alone if the interest to keep watching is there.

I wish her the best in this endeavor and applaud her efforts. No matter how "quiet" the destructive cult of scientology might be lately, it is not subdued or going away so easily, and certainly has not been reformed in any meaningful way. (It does change, all the time, of course. The texts, the practices, the policies all change constantly because that his how ideologies work regardless of how absolute and unchanging it may seem in the heads of believers.) But the practices and beliefs that give rise to the worst behaviors and human rights violations by scientologists have not changed one bit. The psychological machine is intact. It's just mostly directed to places in the world where people have not been warned of its tactics and so are easier marks than people in developed countries who have things like internet and libraries, documented shady history, and thousands of people speaking out against it.

Really looking forward to this show. :)

I heard a radio DJ say that when he lived in another city, he heard stories about investigative reporters who were going to examine Scientology by pretending to be a new recruit. They planned to return in a couple of months with their findings.

And they were never heard from again.

Too delicious to be true, I suppose.

I heard a radio DJ say that when he lived in another city, he heard stories about investigative reporters who were going to examine Scientology by pretending to be a new recruit. They planned to return in a couple of months with their findings.

And they were never heard from again.

Too delicious to be true, I suppose.

Think the DJ was just yanking their chain? "Sec checks for everyone!" bellows Miss Cabbage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Scientology_security_checks

The C of S have been losing out to Muslims for bad publicity (aka free advertising) during the past few years so this may be a boost.
The CoS has been recruiting Nation of Islam members for the last couple of years. So I think they have that Muslim-bad publicity thing covered. :p

Did anyone ever notice the similarity of these items

tin-cans-telephone-work.jpg

travolta.jpg

maybe in the internet age they'll all wind up like this.

2592523309_331557168e.jpg

I finally got around to watching this show. I was excited to hear about it but not in a hurry to watch because I've been following cult news and the critic movement for two decades so I'm familiar with the stories, even if not the details or names. I expected nothing new in the kinds of stories it tells, but that's not to say I expected it to be boring. Now I'm as riveted as if I had never heard of the cult of Scientology.

It's great to see Mike Rinder participating. His name is well known to all scientologists as formerly one of Miscavige's direct reports and a very powerful man in the organization. Back then, I was impressed by him and recognized that he was not someone to mess with. I was thrilled and surprised when I heard he blew the cult and even more so that he's doing so much to speak out and to support Leah. :love:

Miscavige's other direct report and once second most powerful individual in the cult, Marty Rathbun, also blew along with Mike, but has since gone a bit nuts and seems to be anti-critics as well as anti-cult. It's hard to say what side he's on, but the weird ambivalence might have something to do with the rumor that "he knows where the bodies are" and so can only go so far in supporting critics before he gets defensive. (See Louis Theroux's My Scientology Movie, a documentary that Marty helped with. It's on Netflix or $3.99 on youtube.)

I'm also excited because today I learned that someone I knew in the cult twenty years ago is now out and has just published a book. :joy: I didn't know her well, and she probably wouldn't remember me, but it was very cool to see her name as an ex speaking out. I knew her as a very capable, confident individual, but she was also an one of the people who tried to get me back into the cult. I simply ignored the calls and they ended eventually. (They didn't try too hard with me because one, I didn't have any money, and two, I was an entry level public who knew no secrets. I didn't even know about the Xenu doctrine until after I left.)

Excellent work from Leah and her supporters. A must-watch if you haven't seen it yet.

Last edited:
Someone told me that he worked for a news station in Florida, as I recall. He told the story of an investigative reporter who volunteered to pose as a new recruit for Scientology (this was years and years ago) in order to report back and write a series of tell-all stories. "I'll be back in two or three months," the reporter said just before he went under cover.

And he was never heard from again.

Too good to be true, but then too good not to be either.

Someone told me that he worked for a news station in Florida, as I recall. He told the story of an investigative reporter who volunteered to pose as a new recruit for Scientology (this was years and years ago) in order to report back and write a series of tell-all stories. "I'll be back in two or three months," the reporter said just before he went under cover.

And he was never heard from again.

Too good to be true, but then too good not to be either.

You never know. I wouldn't put anything past this evil cult. But they don't usually disappear people from the outside who would have families and community looking for them. They tend to save the most drastic handling for those who have been in the cult for a while and have already lost most or all meaningful contact with the wog world.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBK5aKOr2Fw[/YOUTUBE]

That video looks like it was made several years ago, but I just now watched it. Pretty accurate, and kinda funny. Could be better made though. At certain spots, such as 3:34, 3:38, 5:22 (among others) it looks like that is a much younger Jim Carrey, the actor/comedian. Or at least it sounds like his voice a lot, and has a strong facial resemblance to him. Anyone else think that is him, or am I wrong on that?

Brian

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBK5aKOr2Fw[/YOUTUBE]

That video looks like it was made several years ago, but I just now watched it. Pretty accurate, and kinda funny. Could be better made though. At certain spots, such as 3:34, 3:38, 5:22 (among others) it looks like that is a much younger Jim Carrey, the actor/comedian. Or at least it sounds like his voice a lot, and has a strong facial resemblance to him. Anyone else think that is him, or am I wrong on that?

Brian

Mainstream religions allow more freedom, but incorporate many of these tactics.

I put this in social science because that's where I think discussions of cults belong, but mods feel free to move it if you see fit.

Leah Remini is creating a show about Scientology, specifically focusing on how the cult divides families. There are so many stories... she easily has the content for several seasons on that topic alone if the interest to keep watching is there.

I wish her the best in this endeavor and applaud her efforts. No matter how "quiet" the destructive cult of scientology might be lately, it is not subdued or going away so easily, and certainly has not been reformed in any meaningful way. (It does change, all the time, of course. The texts, the practices, the policies all change constantly because that his how ideologies work regardless of how absolute and unchanging it may seem in the heads of believers.) But the practices and beliefs that give rise to the worst behaviors and human rights violations by scientologists have not changed one bit. The psychological machine is intact. It's just mostly directed to places in the world where people have not been warned of its tactics and so are easier marks than people in developed countries who have things like internet and libraries, documented shady history, and thousands of people speaking out against it.

I figured that out from the smear campaign against her currently showing up all over Facebook.

I figured that out from the smear campaign against her currently showing up all over Facebook.

Yep. Just par for the course with insecure social dominance ideologies.

Back
Top Bottom