• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Leaving woke culture and God

Here's an interesting video about a woman on how she became a very active activist for social justice warrior causes and then lost faith in the cause, and is now an activist against it.

What's interesting is a detail, you'll only notice if you pay attention. She started off as a Christian. Became an atheist (implied) found Woke and became woke the same way as she was Christian, then left woke and became a Christian again.

She sounds like quite the reactionary moron hunting for a dogma a label to define herself so that she doesn't have to ever actually think or become self aware.

Here's an interesting video about a woman on how she became a very active activist for social justice warrior causes and then lost faith in the cause, and is now an activist against it.

What's interesting is a detail, you'll only notice if you pay attention. She started off as a Christian. Became an atheist (implied) found Woke and became woke the same way as she was Christian, then left woke and became a Christian again.

She sounds like quite the reactionary moron hunting for a dogma a label to define herself so that she doesn't have to ever actually think or become self aware.

Don't worry, I'm sure she's recovered from that now. :D The latest one is always the last one, eh?

This conversation needs a bit of levity. So here's my favorite definition of "woke". I got it right out of the urban dictionary.

"The act of being very pretentious about how much you care about a social issue."

I personally hate the word woke, and that definition pretty much says it all. :D

Or the modern version of divide and conquer if it is being used by the top end of society

EsG2-qMUwAIUkFQ.jpeg

EsKl8DTUwAEEn2Q.jpeg

However some good part of this came from the bottom of this movement

great comments for the video.

This conversation needs a bit of levity. So here's my favorite definition of "woke". I got it right out of the urban dictionary.

"The act of being very pretentious about how much you care about a social issue."

I personally hate the word woke, and that definition pretty much says it all. :D

Or the modern version of divide and conquer if it is being used by the top end of society

View attachment 31479

View attachment 31480

LOL. And the reason so many gays hate Pride

Last edited:

View attachment 31479

View attachment 31480

However some good part of this came from the bottom of this movement

great comments for the video.

I had always thought the term "progressive stack" was a mocking and/or pejorative term invented by the anti-SJW crowd. I didn't think they actually used it on themselves. :hysterical:

I had always thought the term "progressive stack" was a mocking and/or pejorative term invented by the anti-SJW crowd. I didn't think they actually used it on themselves. :hysterical:

These leftist loonies have become what used to be a conservative caricature of the left. They have become a joke.

It seems like the left will never learn the lesson from history that if you lift up a group and give them power they will exploit it... just like... you know... the capitalists we complain about. It's so dumb

Uh, we don't hate Pride, we hate soulless attempts to cash in on it. The first Pride was a riot.

My understanding of the disdain for Pride by many in the gay community is that it tends to promote the stereotype of gays being people who (for example) want nothing more than to wear assless leather chaps and tight rainbow tank tops and make out with their partner in public. Whereas it seems most gay people don't really care about any of that and just want to have the same rights and priveliges as everyone else, and live their lives as a normal member of their community. There could also be some Pride fatigue going on after all these years.*

*Reminds me of an old Simpsons episode when there was a Pride Parade in town and a couple of flamboyantly dressed, dancing gay guys sang, "We're here, we're queer...get used to it!!". Lisa shouted back, "We are used to it. You do this every year! One of the guys pipes back, "Spoiled sport".

Ah. I don't mind, because I see the inherent connection between the two necessary sides of Pride. I have the freedom to live a quiet life with my boyfriend in a little apartmewnt in a suburb, because other people braver than myself were there, queer, and made people get used to it. And I think if there were no Pride, there would be a danger of a slow slip into oblivion, apathy, and piece-by-piece erosion of rights as has happened with the Civil Rights Movement of much the same era. We have to stay visible, relevant, and loud. No rtight was ever granted or kept for free.

Uh, we don't hate Pride, we hate soulless attempts to cash in on it. The first Pride was a riot.

My understanding of the disdain for Pride by many in the gay community is that it tends to promote the stereotype of gays being people who (for example) want nothing more than to wear assless leather chaps and tight rainbow tank tops and make out with their partner in public. Whereas it seems most gay people don't really care about any of that and just want to have the same rights and priveliges as everyone else, and live their lives as a normal member of their community. There could also be some Pride fatigue going on after all these years.*

*Reminds me of an old Simpsons episode when there was a Pride Parade in town and a couple of flamboyantly dressed, dancing gay guys sang, "We're here, we're queer...get used to it!!". Lisa shouted back, "We are used to it. You do this every year! One of the guys pipes back, "Spoiled sport".

But it doesn't promote that stereotype. If anything it promotes the stereotype that gays are like most people. Have you seen a gay pride parade? Most gays in it are boring as fuck. That's why everybody cheers so much at the leather men in assless chaps or the flaming queens risking life with walking in those high heels.

Here's another example of woke craziness

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-55765514

There's an outcry that Australia's greatest tennis player, a job that requires zero brainpower or thought, is getting the nations greatest honour. I hate this shit. She's not being honored for her opinions. She's being honoured for her ability to hit a ball over a net. Who gives a shit what her opinions is on anything? If we decide that sports results deserve being honored, then what's the problem with her unrelated opinions?

Evaluating the hitting of a ball over the net is much more in line with objective methods than are opinions. If we celebrate those who are best at something (an opinion by the way) it seems much more objective to evaluate her on her relative success in doing so than it does to celebrate a Communist in Communist times or a Nazi in Nazi times.

But it doesn't promote that stereotype. If anything it promotes the stereotype that gays are like most people. Have you seen a gay pride parade? Most gays in it are boring as fuck. That's why everybody cheers so much at the leather men in assless chaps or the flaming queens risking life with walking in those high heels.

Well, I first heard about the stereotyping issue from a rather prominent gay talk show host in the Bay Area (Karel) a few years ago, who didn't like the Pride Parades for that reason. That sort of took me by surprise, actually. Being a straight guy, I don't have really have an opinion on that, which is why I said it was my understanding. I haven't been to a Pride Parade (I'm sort of crowd phobic, and not big on parades in general), but our local TV news stations in the Bay Area always show video clips which feature the more outlandish characters. I guess a handful of male Peacocks in bloom get more TV viewership points than a bunch of boring sparrows. So, perhaps its the media's fault for their selective editing that this stereotype is still prominent in the public's eye.

Preface: I have not been closely following this thread, so may be misunderstanding much of the back-and-forth. This one post here though caught my eye.

There's an outcry that Australia's greatest tennis player, a job that requires zero brainpower or thought, is getting the nations greatest honour.

As a tennis player/watcher/fan myself, I am confused by that statement. Tennis playing requires zero brainpower or thought? It is a sport that consists of athleticism and strategy.

I hate this shit. She's not being honored for her opinions. She's being honoured for her ability to hit a ball over a net. Who gives a shit what her opinions is on anything?

Many people. Someone who is being revered as an icon or a role model should be someone that the sport community can be proud of. Not just for their athleticism/skill at the sport itself, but also their off-court contributions and personal grace. People who exhibited embarrassing or morally repugnant behavior should have that taken into consideration when they are being decided on, to be honored by the sport and athletes and fans.

Several years ago, Sean Spicer (Trump's first press secretary) was on the TV show "Dancing With The Stars" and while he was a good enough dancer, my reaction was "so what? He made a living lying to the public. Who gives a shit how good or bad his moves are?" People's morals and character should be a factor in whether or not they are given awards, even if the awards are not explicitly for morals and character.

Preface: I have not been closely following this thread, so may be misunderstanding much of the back-and-forth. This one post here though caught my eye.

There's an outcry that Australia's greatest tennis player, a job that requires zero brainpower or thought, is getting the nations greatest honour.

As a tennis player/watcher/fan myself, I am confused by that statement. Tennis playing requires zero brainpower or thought? It is a sport that consists of athleticism and strategy.

I hate this shit. She's not being honored for her opinions. She's being honoured for her ability to hit a ball over a net. Who gives a shit what her opinions is on anything?

Many people. Someone who is being revered as an icon or a role model should be someone that the sport community can be proud of. Not just for their athleticism/skill at the sport itself, but also their off-court contributions and personal grace. People who exhibited embarrassing or morally repugnant behavior should have that taken into consideration when they are being decided on, to be honored by the sport and athletes and fans.

Several years ago, Sean Spicer (Trump's first press secretary) was on the TV show "Dancing With The Stars" and while he was a good enough dancer, my reaction was "so what? He made a living lying to the public. Who gives a shit how good or bad his moves are?" People's morals and character should be a factor in whether or not they are given awards, even if the awards are not explicitly for morals and character.

What makes you think she doesn't have morals? She seems to have very high moral standards. Just different standards from you or me. Doesn't she have a right to express her differing views? Are we really so sensitive that we can't stand celebritys that don't endlessly repeat the PC dogma? Do we really want a world where all discussions are dead and are replaced by brain dead PC regurgitations?

Why do you feel so threatened by that she doesn't agree with you?

I play tennis. The amount of strategy involved is less than your average board game. Nah, a highly skilled drooling idiot could do it.

I play tennis. The amount of strategy involved is less than your average board game. Nah, a highly skilled drooling idiot could do it.
I'm utterly unqualified to hold an opinion on this dispute; that said, have you considered the possibility that some people play the game more strategically than others?

Roger Federer as Religious Experience

I'm utterly unqualified to hold an opinion on this dispute; that said, have you considered the possibility that some people play the game more strategically than others?

Roger Federer as Religious Experience

I didn't say there's no strategy in tennis. Only that the strategy required doesn't require genius. Certainly not to a degree where we give medals for it. She's not getting a medal for her great tactical skill or thought at all.

The mental part of athletic performance is interesting. Making oneself that dedicated and single minded is impressive. But will not help you in figuring out the big things in the world.

But even so, even if she had been a politician who had done something impressive she still has to be allowed to have whatever opinions we has.

We don't take down statues of Churchill even though he was a white supremacist. He's still worth being honoured imho

What makes you think she doesn't have morals?

Why did you ask a loaded question, and also be so presumptuous as to think you know what I think? You could have taken a better approach and asked me what I think, rather than putting words in my mouth which do not accurately reflect my views.

She does have morals, as do people who have different morals. But so what? It comes down to a judgment call on how to proceed. Some people’s morals are more bigoted than others, some are more altruistic than others, some are more fascist than others, some are more charitable than others, etc. Let’s not put all morals on the same playing field.

Doesn't she have a right to express her differing views?

Yes. That is a complete strawman and red herring fallacy wrapped up into one. Nobody was suggesting that she does not have a right to express her opinions. The issue under discussion is whether or not she should additionally be honored, given the (what some consider to be) grotesque content of her views. Don’t the sporting event organizers also have a right to determine who they decide to give special honors to?

Are we really so sensitive that we can't stand celebritys that don't endlessly repeat the PC dogma?

So it is considered “PC dogma” to not be a bigot, like she is.

Do we really want a world where all discussions are dead and are replaced by brain dead PC regurgitations?

No. But that is not what this is about either.

Why do you feel so threatened by that she doesn't agree with you?

Why do you again ask a loaded question? You could first ask if I feel threatened. If I confirm that I do, then you can ask why. Instead though, you made the unwarranted assumption that I do feel threatened by her views, and that is false. I find her views bigoted, but the sensation of “threatened” never applied to me.

Well. Please tell that to every player, coach, commentator, organizer, and trainer who has ever worked in professional tennis. I have a strong hunch that they will disagree with you.

I didn't say there's no strategy in tennis. Only that the strategy required doesn't require genius.

DrZ, you are rewriting history right before our very eyes. You had said (quoting you word for word here): “…Australia's greatest tennis player, a job that requires zero brainpower or thought,…”

So yes, you said there is no brainpower or thought. Strategy requires brainpower and thought, so by consequence you are saying there is no strategy.

I recall that in WWE professional wrestling, when the wrestler Chris Benoit was found dead, there was a tribute paid to him by the organization at the next event. In the days that followed, it was discovered that he had actually murdered his own wife and child, before killing himself. The owner of the WWE (Vince McMahon) then gave a public announcement basically stating that Benoit’s name would never be spoken of again in any kind of honorable mention. That seems an appropriate response. It is fine for an entity to want to disassociate to varying extents from people that engage in disgraceful behavior, whether it be for ethical and/or business reasons.

Back
Top Bottom