• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Leningrad: Russian Shock Rock Band

Copernicus

Industrial Grade Linguist
Basic Beliefs
Atheist humanist
To keep up my Russian, I listen to a lot of Russian music. The raunchy band "Leningrad" is one of the most interesting groups. Three of their songs are in the soundtrack of the great movie "Everything is Illuminated". You can see some of their videos on Youtube (with English subtitles). Lots of brass in their music (pun intended).

How Russia's Biggest Rock Star Gets Away With Speaking Truth to Power (aka Putin)

Here is one of the songs in the soundtrack of "Everything is Illuminated". It is called "Wild Man" (Дикий Мужчина).

[YOUTUBE]VNsH8KDUC5U[/YOUTUBE]

For those who may not have seen "Everything is Illuminated", here is a sample scene with a little Leningrad band music thrown in.

[YOUTUBE]44P0LNy9VFw[/YOUTUBE]

That's pretty mild compared to this:

Americans don't realize how much most of the Russian cursing is a taboo.
I am surprised that was not censored.

Russian "Я" to americans is like english "th" russian. Weird considering that there are English words with pretty much the same sound sound.

Yeah, and it's the first time I ever listened to "Leningrad". Not a big fan of that whole genre.
I read some of his "poetic" commentary in the news though/

That's pretty mild compared to this:

Americans don't realize how much most of the Russian cursing is a taboo.
I am surprised that was not censored.

Russian "Я" to americans is like english "th" russian. Weird considering that there are English words with pretty much the same sound sound.

Actually, I've heard all of the expressions she uses in their songs. For example, "Pizdyets" (Пиздец) is even a title of one of their songs. One can find all of their music on Spotify, including the raunchiest ones. They go out of their way to use offensive language, but that is part of their shtick. Basically, they are Russian hippies who delight in shocking people with their outrageous behavior. I really do like their jazz and rock 'n' roll, however.

Ah, a youth altrnative to jumping off ten story buildings into snow banks. How entirely "Idiot" worthy.
You mean traveling to Russia? it's better than some other destinations - North Korea for example, Afghanistan, etc

Personally, my wife and I both love travelling to Russia. It can be challenging at times, but the people are marvelous and the cultural experiences unforgettable. After the virus epidemic settles down, we may travel to Ukraine. Visa regulations for Russia are fairly prohibitive for Americans, but no visa is required for Ukraine now.

Actually, I've heard all of the expressions she uses in their songs. For example, "Pizdyets" (Пиздец) is even a title of one of their songs.
That would be new to me. But then as I said I have never heard any of their songs.
One can find all of their music on Spotify, including the raunchiest ones. They go out of their way to use offensive language, but that is part of their shtick. Basically, they are Russian hippies who delight in shocking people with their outrageous behavior. I really do like their jazz and rock 'n' roll, however.
Russian cursing is a long way to the acceptance English cursing has.
You mean traveling to Russia? it's better than some other destinations - North Korea for example, Afghanistan, etc

Personally, my wife and I both love travelling to Russia. It can be challenging at times, but the people are marvelous and the cultural experiences unforgettable. After the virus epidemic settles down, we may travel to Ukraine. Visa regulations for Russia are fairly prohibitive for Americans, but no visa is required for Ukraine now.
Why would you need Visa to Ukraine? It's 51st US state and English is an official language.
By the way, don't try to impress them with your russian, could be some problems.

I pride myself in speaking better Russian than the vast majority of Americans. :biggrina: Seriously, you are beginning to sound like a babushka.

Back
Top Bottom