• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Let's Go!

poster

Basic Beliefs
none
Okay, TFT, you did it, you flipped the house. Now what? Keep the conversation moving forward. Ideas, people, ideas. Let's go!

Or are you all just taking a smoke break after all that hot sex and shooting your load?

maybe something to do with wall street regulation similar to the repealed dodd frank
I heard if something isn't done wall street and the banks are going to pull a fast one like they did when the 2008 crash
I've read 3 sources that predict another crash... If I recall one source was harvard business review
maybe get some tax money back that was given to the 450 billionaires

I don't know how they do this, but I say open up the money spigot. Let it flow into the hands of the average person. One of two things might happen: 1)the economy will really boom in short-term and bring interest rates back down again, or 2) it will sabotage Trump's economic plans. Either works for me.

I don't know how they do this, but I say open up the money spigot. Let it flow into the hands of the average person. One of two things might happen: 1)the economy will really boom in short-term and bring interest rates back down again, or 2) it will sabotage Trump's economic plans. Either works for me.
That isn't even a coherent thought.

Try getting out of your own fucking way and quit criticizing others, ffs.

ideas, asshole, ideas. *said in a very loving way, mind you*

Interest rates don't come down when the economy is soaring. The FED is raising rates to control inflation. The FED is likely to keep raising rates unless the economy collapses. Do you have another idea?

I have no idea what you mean about opening the money spigot?

How about the two parties do something to allow Medicare to negotiate lower drug prices like they do in more civilized countries? And, what about infrastructure? Our water systems, power grids, roads, bridges, railways, gas lines, etc. are all in need of repair or overhaul. Those are the only two areas that I can think of at this moment where the House and the Senate might work together.

Since the Senate is still controlled by the Republicans, it's a safe bet that no new regulations will be coming in the next two years. Dream on!

Universal Health Insurance.

This is probably the best idea. If they spend their time passing bills such as Medicare for All and paying for it by a tax increase on billionaires and letting the Senate vote it down, then they can go into 2020 with an actual platform and positive arguments about an agenda as opposed to a campaign slogan of "Hey, at least we're not Donald Trump".

You could follow that advice.

I have ideas, coherent ones. Yours indicated either you are completely clueless or a troll.

Interest rates don't come down when the economy is soaring. The FED is raising rates to control inflation. The FED is likely to keep raising rates unless the economy collapses. Do you have another idea?

I have no idea what you mean about opening the money spigot?

How about the two parties do something to allow Medicare to negotiate lower drug prices like they do in more civilized countries? And, what about infrastructure? Our water systems, power grids, roads, bridges, railways, gas lines, etc. are all in need of repair or overhaul. Those are the only two areas that I can think of at this moment where the House and the Senate might work together.

Since the Senate is still controlled by the Republicans, it's a safe bet that no new regulations will be coming in the next two years. Dream on!
This is what is wrong with the Democrats. No imagination.

The point is that nothing will get done, anyway. Talk about getting money out to the little person like Trump and the Republicans do. It isn't going to happen but it puts them on the defensive. It's about rhetoric.

Sorry i wasn't more clear, but I honestly thought you all realized that this next two years will be a beauty pageant, not a working government.

But you all might be right. We'll see.

- - - Updated - - -

I have ideas, coherent ones. Yours indicated either you are completely clueless or a troll.
Then bring on an idea. You've yet to do that.

"Insurance" is horseshit. Do you mean Universal Health Care?

My guess is, that as the Republicans did with the ACA, the house will throw Medicare-For-All legislation at the Senate knowing it won't get to Trump, which he'd veto anyway, with the idea of getting the Senate and Presidency to also flip, at which point the legislation will die. That happened to the Republicans until Trump surprised them and force them to vote on overturning the ACA. I'm all for it, but i have no illusions of it ever passing, though, I'd love to be wrong about that.

This is what is wrong with the Democrats. No imagination.

The point is that nothing will get done, anyway. Talk about getting money out to the little person like Trump and the Republicans do. It isn't going to happen but it puts them on the defensive. It's about rhetoric.

Sorry i wasn't more clear, but I honestly thought you all realized that this next two years will be a beauty pageant, not a working government.

But you all might be right. We'll see.

- - - Updated - - -

Then bring on an idea. You've yet to do that.

Poster is correct. Dems don't make ideas, they make wet spots as they melt over all the wrong things. They'll waste the next 2 years of hardly controlling the house on investigating Ivanka's clothing line or something... and come up with "AH HA! It only cost 1 billion dollars of taxpayer money, but we can prove that some of her clothes were made in China! We knew it! Now everyone in the cabinet resign! (why isn't everyone resigning???) <melt>"

Seems to be part of Kamala Harris' platform, if she runs for president in 2020. We might think back to Bush's first tax cut. It was aimed at the rich but the Democrats hijacked it and sent those tax cuts to middle America instead. $300, and $600 for all. If tax cuts are the mantra of the right that keep them in power, maybe subvert it to actually help somebody other than the very rich and big corporations.

"Insurance" is horseshit. Do you mean Universal Health Care?

My guess is, that as the Republicans did with the ACA, the house will throw Medicare-For-All legislation at the Senate knowing it won't get to Trump, which he'd veto anyway, with the idea of getting the Senate and Presidency to also flip, at which point the legislation will die. That happened to the Republicans until Trump surprised them and force them to vote on overturning the ACA. I'm all for it, but i have no illusions of it ever passing, though, I'd love to be wrong about that.

We have the best heath care system in the world.

And a primitive insurance system.

What needs modernization is the insurance system.

Either healthcare is a basic human right, or it is a privilege. If it is a privilege, then capitalism says you have to pay for it, and what you pay is what the market can get away with. If it is a basic human right, then "insurance" is as unnecessary as a permit to practice religion.

Either healthcare is a basic human right, or it is a privilege. If it is a privilege, then capitalism says you have to pay for it, and what you pay is what the market can get away with. If it is a basic human right, then "insurance" is as unnecessary as a permit to practice religion.
It has to be paid for, one way or the other. UHC isn't free, it is limited out of pocket cost. Which means everything is paid up front. Premiums turn into taxes.

We have the best health care system in the world.
If you define what you mean by this then perhaps we could discuss it. To my knowledge the US doesn't have a "health care system", we have a marketplace for health care, that, other than medicare or medicaid and VA health care, is anything but a "system".

And a primitive insurance system.

I'm listening.

It has to be paid for, one way or the other. UHC isn't free, it is limited out of pocket cost. Which means everything is paid up front. Premiums turn into taxes.

Yes. Like how public school teachers are paid, as one example... Except I have heard the argument that it is the Teachers that should be earning the doctor's salary, and the doctors should be paid the car mechanic's salaries.

Yes. Like how public school teachers are paid, as one example... Except I have heard the argument that it is the Teachers that should be earning the doctor's salary, and the doctors should be paid the car mechanic's salaries.

And then there are those of us who think that if you are doing a job that requires a human being, you should be paid what it takes to support the life of a human being, at a minimum, and increasing from there on the basis of trained or acquired skills; that the government (society) should foot the bill for educating everyone to the highest generally attainable level, and in 1 higher level field per 15 (or so) years of life from birth, claimable after the attainment of the general education, with the option to forego the second selection for additional advanced specialization immediately after attaining the basic degree. And I you fail that first round of college, you get to try again when you're 30 (to noth provide drop-outs like me a second chance to finish their shit)

Granted, all these numbers came straight out my ass, but it seems like it would pretty adequately serve the needs of the country and business, without placing its citizens under a mortgage on their own souls like the current student loan bullshit does.

To my knowledge the US doesn't have a "health care system", we have a marketplace for health care, that, other than medicare or medicaid and VA health care, is anything but a "system".

The system is the hospitals and the doctors and the nurses and many more workers and support workers and the drugs and the lab tests and the procedures. And the materials and equipment.

The insurance system is how this health care is paid for by patients.

I'm listening.

Single payer. Medicare for all.

Or even better something better than Medicare. No co-payments, no doughnut holes, the ability to negotiate with drug manufacturers to lower drug costs, everything covered. And you fund the hell out of it. You make it the best system in the world. You make it a huge government priority.

It will also help the economy in many ways. More health care workers. More support workers. More equipment. More materials.

No more people going bankrupt because of health care costs.

A system where all persons are covered.

The best system is where all people have the exact same coverage. Where everybody has the best coverage possible.

A system where the health of some people is not worth more than the health of other people.

Back
Top Bottom