• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Light at the end of the tunnel? GOP Loses WI Court Seat

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
So meanwhile in the world, stuff is actually happening, such as the GOP trying to force a low-turnout spring election in Wisconsin. The WIsconsin Supreme Court was 5-2 and the race was between a loudly supported (on Twitter) by Donald Trump incumbent verses a Democrat.

Yeah, there was like record turnout and the number of absentee ballots used was near the same for a General Election in a Presidential Election year.

The Democrat didn't win. The Democrat smacked the incumbent's ass by 11 points. The Democrats were hoping to slip through on that election. They drove through.

This turned out very good for a few reasons.

• It fucked the GOP over, possibly for their reckless procedure to try and hold the election during an epidemic.
  • There were irregularities. Around 1.5% of people that requested mail in ballots didn't get them. Luckily the margin of victory was about 14x that number.

So the Supreme Court in Wisconsin is a less far right-wing dependable 4 to 3.

It is hard to extrapolate the meaningfulness for this election relative to the general election. It certainly can't fall under the 'Trump can sleep easy' category. But it was still a spring election and we have seen that the Trumpites love Trump, they don't seem to care as much about anyone else.

Did this result carry across the board (or was this a special election)? I haven't had the time to really look at the results (still working from home, and we're buying a house).

This is one small ray of hope though. I hope it bodes well for upcoming elections.

They have spring elections typically, and this was a normal Supreme Court race.

So more Democrats came out to vote in a contested presidential primary than Republicans in an uncontested presidential primary. Who’d have thought?

Obviously Trump's "complete endorsement" was a huge help in pulling his boy to within 120,000 votes of a victory.
Another first for PINO - no incumbent on that court has lost an election since God was a little boy (I forget the date).

Anyone know how to find out how many people who have earned the coveted endorsement of The Mighty Dumpf have been sent home?

I think Bernie, tho his campaign ended, was on the ballot. That may have motivated the "wrong" voters.

I’m sure that is what his campaign thinks but I think that his supporters have a stronger twitter presence than a propensity to actually ...vote. I haven’t looked at the demographics for that election but in my experience, the people who are willing to stand in line for hours in bad weather tend to be older folks. As contradictory as that sounds.

So more Democrats came out to vote in a contested presidential primary than Republicans in an uncontested presidential primary. Who’d have thought?

That too.

Until you brought up this point, I had not thought of the GOP keeping any other candidate from challenging Trump
as actual voter suppression but....

So meanwhile in the world, stuff is actually happening, such as the GOP trying to force a low-turnout spring election in Wisconsin. The WIsconsin Supreme Court was 5-2 and the race was between a loudly supported (on Twitter) by Donald Trump incumbent verses a Democrat.

Yeah, there was like record turnout and the number of absentee ballots used was near the same for a General Election in a Presidential Election year.

The Democrat didn't win. The Democrat smacked the incumbent's ass by 11 points. The Democrats were hoping to slip through on that election. They drove through.

This turned out very good for a few reasons.

• It fucked the GOP over, possibly for their reckless procedure to try and hold the election during an epidemic.
  • There were irregularities. Around 1.5% of people that requested mail in ballots didn't get them. Luckily the margin of victory was about 14x that number.

So the Supreme Court in Wisconsin is a less far right-wing dependable 4 to 3.

It is hard to extrapolate the meaningfulness for this election relative to the general election. It certainly can't fall under the 'Trump can sleep easy' category. But it was still a spring election and we have seen that the Trumpites love Trump, they don't seem to care as much about anyone else.

Voters on both sides believing the WI Republican party killed people by forcing them to come out to vote is not going to help in November.

You mean something like a state wide Supreme Court race and referendum, and quite a few local races across the state? Something like that?

Because there was the statewide Supreme Court and the Marsy's Law referendum votes... as well as a bunch of local races... about 5970 candidates in all.

I'm getting so fucking bored of having to fact check everything for right-wingers.

You mean something like a state wide Supreme Court race and referendum, and quite a few local races across the state? Something like that?

Because there was the statewide Supreme Court and the Marsy's Law referendum votes... as well as a bunch of local races... about 5970 candidates in all.

I'm getting so fucking bored of having to fact check everything for right-wingers.

People don't get excited about state supreme court races. Don't act like they do. Without looking it up, could you name all the justices on your state supreme court? I'm an attorney and read new opinions as they come out of my state supreme court. Without looking it up I could probably name three.

People don't get excited about state supreme court races. Don't act like they do. Without looking it up, could you name all the justices on your state supreme court? I'm an attorney and read new opinions as they come out of my state supreme court. Without looking it up I could probably name three.

Considering Sanders dropped out before the race then nobody really had any reason to turn out... except Dems who care about the Republican gerymandering and ridiculous voter suppression. Just once in a modern election cycle I'd like to see Republicans try to win in a purple state without cheating.

And about the 5700 other people running for all those other local government races?

Considering Sanders dropped out before the race then nobody really had any reason to turn out... except Dems who care about the Republican gerymandering and ridiculous voter suppression. Just once in a modern election cycle I'd like to see Republicans try to win in a purple state without cheating.
Don't hold your breath.

This result is notable because the Wisconsin Republican's obvious attempts to hinder the perceived "liberal" or "Democratic" vote failed in a tightly contested race for the WI Supreme Court. The Republicans took over the WI Supreme Court during the Scott Walker "wave". Each race has been tightly contested with lots of TV advertising. I live across the Mississippi River from Wisconsin and most of our "fre" TV stations are from Wisconsin, so we get inundated with these ads.

For WI Democrats, this result is a ray of hope for November. For WI Republicans, it is a red alert for November.

Don't hold your breath.

This result is notable because the Wisconsin Republican's obvious attempts to hinder the perceived "liberal" or "Democratic" vote failed in a tightly contested race for the WI Supreme Court. The Republicans took over the WI Supreme Court during the Scott Walker "wave". Each race has been tightly contested with lots of TV advertising. I live across the Mississippi River from Wisconsin and most of our "fre" TV stations are from Wisconsin, so we get inundated with these ads.

For WI Democrats, this result is a ray of hope for November. For WI Republicans, it is a red alert for November.

This judge that lost the election was one of the ones that voted against the governor's stay at home order.

Back
Top Bottom