• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Limitations of Turing tests

Humans do a lot of things when they think. Should really all that be labelled thinking?

No, "human thinking".

You can say a computer is "thinking" but what is experiencing this "thinking"? and how do we know there is any experience of this "thinking"?

Because "thinking" is experienced. At least mine is.

Humans do a lot of things when they think. Should really all that be labelled thinking?

No, "human thinking".

You can say a computer is "thinking" but what is experiencing this "thinking"? and how do we know there is any experience of this "thinking"?

But "experience" is not all what there is.
Reasoning is a important part of what is going on when we think and that contains a lot that us separable from experiencing.

No, "human thinking".

But "experience" is not all what there is.
Reasoning is a important part of what is going on when we think and that contains a lot that us separable from experiencing.

If this reasoning isn't experienced it isn't human reasoning.

Not scratching your nose, breathing, etc. But Descartes adopted a large definition, which, if you think about it, is reflected in untermensche's definition.

There are also plenty of words for what computer's do (computation, calculation, text edition, simulation, etc. etc. etc.). Where is the need to redefine the word "thinking" as what computers do? This is hubris. Scientists are human beings, if they think they can escape human nature merely by being scientific in their outlook they are wrong. I suggest some of them should try to visit their nearest church to ask the Lord for forgiveness even if they don't believe in God. Works even without a God this. :D
EB

There is no hybris. Just a decent wish to create a useful definition of "thinking" without including everything.
What's useful about defining thinking as what computers do?! We seem to be the reference as to what thinking may be. So, start by trying to understand what human beings do when they think and by all means try to emulate thinking on a computer if that can help but the simulation is not the thing simulated. The picture of the moon is not the moon. So please don't go claiming a computer is thinking just because you simulated thinking on it.
EB

Back
Top Bottom