• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Local Weather

Hurricane beryl is now a category 5 hurricane. We are laying in supplies for if we get rain and wind and things shut down. Meanwhile Livingstone dam, a major dam near Houston is in danger of failure. We may have a serious water supply problem in Houston soon.

Looks like we getting what comes from years of neglect of the infrastructure. Just wait till all that AI and EV stuff hits the grid!

We are in a heat wave for the area.

80s-90s in the day 60s at night.

I open the windows at night and close in the morning. I have aluminum foil on widows getting direct sunlight.

Manageable. It can be as much as 10 degrees cooler inside.

I open the windows at night and close in the morning.
If it's gonna be hot we do that, but more often open everything up in the late afternoon to let it warm up inside so it only gets down into the high 60s indoors overnight. Doors are open 12-16 hrs/day most of the year, except when its windy. Which it is, a lot..

I open the windows at night and close in the morning.
If it's gonna be hot we do that, but more often open everything up in the late afternoon to let it warm up inside so it only gets down into the high 60s indoors overnight. Doors are open 12-16 hrs/day most of the year, except when its windy. Which it is, a lot..
We do it when the temperature outside is in the direction we would like the house to move. Spring and fall only. Security doors with screen so it's safe to leave the real door open if we want, although if it's windy we will have to pick up a few bits of leaf. There's a tiny gap and our front door is a leaf attractor.

We are actually having a nice day in North Texas. 76 degrees F and light rain. The remnants of Beryl haven't appeared yet. I hope our members in Houston are all OK.

We are actually having a nice day in North Texas. 76 degrees F and light rain. The remnants of Beryl haven't appeared yet. I hope our members in Houston are all OK.
I hope it doesn't make too much of a mess. Two of the three standard ways up our local mountain are still closed in the aftermath of a remnant that didn't even come all that close to us. The one that's left has maybe 10% of the parking that the combination of the other two had.

It's still been at least a few degrees above normal most every day, which means it's been about 90 to 97. The normal is around 87 to 90 this time of year. We finally got some showers today and are hoping to have more over the next several days, with temps in the upper 80s, a welcome relief. I guess that compared to most of the country, our weather's not too bad. It's always rather hot in July in north central Georgia, but it's been a lot more humid this year, making the heat index a bit unbearable at times.

A record for number of days in a row above 80f in the region had been 15 days. I think it has been broken.

The fire season has expanded, smoke in Seattle is common.

Right now we are in the upper 60s headed to the 80s.

NWS Cleveland (my emphasis) said:
The weekend forecast appears quiet for the local area. A weak upper
low to the west over Minnesota and Iowa will block an upper trough
moving through eastern Canada from overtaking the Great Lakes
region. This will actually allow for some upper ridging to form over
the local area and keep high pressure in place across the region.
With that, will keep the forecast dry with relatively seasonable
temperatures with 80s for highs
. Lows on Saturday night could
continue to be a bit cool with mid 50s under clear conditions. Lows
should recover somewhat for Sunday into the 60s.
Cooling off here now and we will be seeing normal seasonal temps. Very pleasant!

Seems odd that seasonal is cool now.

We’re living in the good old days for a change. Afternoon rain showers every day, nights in the 50s, highs in the 80s. Wind with the rain but mostly calm otherwise. Almost Santa Monicoid. Sure is a welcome change from the burning drought we were in for the last bunch of years.
My neighbor downstream put in a bunch of ginormous sandbags a few years back, tethered some 15 feet above the river to keep the it from eroding the bank/cliff on his side. I had to laugh this year at high water time; the river was raging
Above the sandbags’ level and had dug a big cave right above them. Yesterday I checked, now that the levels have receded. No cave - the entire bank had collapsed and got swept away, big bags, tethers and all. Wish I had seen it happen. On the bright side, when the whole bank collapsed it made a cute, if inaccessible little beach that will last until the next high water.

Back
Top Bottom