• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Locals oppose landmine clearance

bilby

Fair dinkum thinkum
The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
Basic Beliefs
Strong Atheist
...but the landmines must be removed anyway, under the terms of the 1997 Ottawa Mine Ban Treaty.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-39821956

The mines, laid by Argentine forces during the 1982 invasion, create an excellent preserve for the penguins of the Falklands; The penguins are too light to trigger the mines, but foxes are not - and the well signposted and fenced minefields keep the humans from disturbing the penguin rookeries too.

I read the post. I read the article. I understand the consequences. Put me down for a vote to remove the mines.

I read the post. I read the article. I understand the consequences. Put me down for a vote to remove the mines.

Why? They are not causing anyone any problems; Even if we don't care about the penguins, why would we risk people's lives, and spend large amounts of time and money, on resolving a non-existent problem?

Why? They are not causing anyone any problems;
Maybe not now...
Are these mines going to become safer or more dangerous as time passes? I assume the explosives and the triggering mechanisms will become unstable, eventually? The sands will continue to shift, possibly exposing the mines? The triggers more sensitive?
Or maybe not. Maybe they'll just rust safer in another decade. Are there any studies?

But i would tend to plan for more danger as time goes on, just because death-tech tends to do that, get less and less controllable, more and more dangerous. WHich means it eventually will become hazardous to the penguins and the rest of the environment, and by then the demining efforts will be even more expensive and dangerous.

Maybe not now...
Are these mines going to become safer or more dangerous as time passes? I assume the explosives and the triggering mechanisms will become unstable, eventually? The sands will continue to shift, possibly exposing the mines? The triggers more sensitive?
Or maybe not. Maybe they'll just rust safer in another decade. Are there any studies?

But i would tend to plan for more danger as time goes on, just because death-tech tends to do that, get less and less controllable, more and more dangerous. WHich means it eventually will become hazardous to the penguins and the rest of the environment, and by then the demining efforts will be even more expensive and dangerous.

That makes sense.

Perhaps, if the mines are deteriorating and becoming more dangerous, they should replace the ones that are there with newer ones :D

Maybe not now...

The article states that this is already happening. The concern seems to be that the environment is marginal and will not easily recover, and also that the area will become open to recreational use and even more environmental degradation, even though this did not happen where the cleanup occurred elsewhere.

If I had a vote I'd vote to leave them alone and let the penguins have their beach.

Why? They are not causing anyone any problems; Even if we don't care about the penguins, why would we risk people's lives, and spend large amounts of time and money, on resolving a non-existent problem?
Duty

because as mines age the potential for them just going off for little-or-no reason increases... so, to protect the penguins, they should be removed.

I fear the penguins will use these mines to attack man. We must protect ourselves and bomb the penguins before it is too late.

FFS!

I fear the penguins will use these mines to attack man. We must protect ourselves and bomb the penguins before it is too late.
You're just playing into the hands of the sea lion lobby...
Jebus! Can we go one thread without you bringing up your damned hobby horse topic, the sea lion lobby?!

Back
Top Bottom