• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Lord of the Rings: debunking the backlash against non-white actors in Amazon’s new adaption

Potoooooooo

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
J.R.R. Tolkien’s much-loved fantasy The Lord of the Rings is a work of epic scale, portraying races of imaginary beings in the medievalesque setting of Middle-earth, culminating in a battle of good against evil. Peter Jackson’s film adaptations in the early 2000s established the iconography and aesthetics that many fans grew up with and consider almost sacred.

Now Amazon’s new adaptation of Tolkien’s world is coming to our screens in September: The Lord of the Rings – The Rings of Power. Recent reports and a newly released trailer have revealed more details about plotlines, ramping up the anticipation.

But it is the diverse casting, which includes non-white actors playing an elf and a female dwarf, which has caused uproar in certain quarters of Tolkien fandom. Some fans argue that Tolkien never described elves, dwarves or hobbits as anything but white, and claim that the casting is disrespectful to his books. But this argument is flawed in two ways.

This happens with every single fantasy property, it seems; people remember older TV or film adaptations cast entirely with whites (because until recently, Hollywood discriminated with wild abandon and none of these fuckers minded) and come away with the false impression that this whitewashed world was "in the books", and will insist on that interpretation even after it's been pointed out to them that the text of said books establishes no such thing. Indeed, fantasy authors are more likely to embrace race-diverse and gender-diverse interpretations of their work than are authors in most other genres. If you understand the entire fantasy genre as a kind of pageant to the superiority of European skin tones, go wild, but the authors of the genre are not likely to be on your side in this. In this particular case, though he certainly had his failings and Lord of the Rings in particular has been the target of some severe and justifiable criticism on the issue of race, Tolkien was NO friend to Nazism or the misguided notion of a pristine Aryan race, which offended him on both a personal and professional level as a philologist. I think it is fair to say that he would object more to those "championing" his work in a case like this than his detractors.

But even if that isn't the case, it's hardly an excuse to endlessly repeat the sins of the past on into every future adaptation. Such a position is morally bankrupt and financially suicidal. Fantasy will mean very little to anyone if it becomes the exclusive province of the socially regressive, who are not its most frequent consumers anyway, even if they wish through decibels alone to give the dubious impression that they are the most passionate. I used to moderate at a fan forum for Lord of the Rings properties, and while this was certainly a divisive issue, it was far less divided than the question of whether Balrogs had wings or whether Frodo and Sam had a thang. Just as in daily life, the pro-racism faction within that fandom was tiny, bitter, aging, and loud. Most Tolkien fans are more embarrassed than proud than proud of the orientalist and royalist tropes regurgitated in the second and third books, and keen to mend the wrongs of a less informed generation.

I did fine the books to possibly have a whiff of white supremacism to them, so I wouldn't doubt that Tolkien would have preferred white actors for certain roles (the heroes), but I don't care if non-whites are in it and the producers don't need to care neither.

Are we going to have to hear about people whining about something not being inertial in movies?

People are upset that it disrespects Tolkien? He was an author (dead one too), not a god. I mean where the fuck were these people when Clancy's Sum of All Fears was royally fucked?! And that didn't involve any race. Oh... I guess that was why. Seriously, any time they put a woman in a role or a black person in a role that people think should be white, they just unleash an online torrent of rage. It is getting old!

The interesting thing, in some web searching, according to the Internet, turning great books into bad movies started only about 15 years ago. ;)

I did fine the books to possibly have a whiff of white supremacism to them, so I wouldn't doubt that Tolkien would have preferred white actors for certain roles (the heroes), but I don't care if non-whites are in it and the producers don't need to care neither.

Good Lord, a whiff?

Those books are drenched in racism, classism, sexism, every ism you can think of.

Doesn't mean I don't love them. I do. But, yeah, it's there. Tolkien would have been appalled by nonwhite actors portraying most of the important roles.

But he's dead. We don't have to care about his opinions any more.
Tom

Not cool, Tom, don't be trying to out-woke me.

Back
Top Bottom