• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Louisiana mandates 10 Commandments In Schools

steve_bank

Diabetic retinopathy and poor eyesight. Typos ...
Basic Beliefs
secular-skeptic
It never ends. Add to it the audio recording of a SCOTUS judge talk about making the USA a country of god 'again'.

Updated on: June 19, 2024 / 3:35 PM EDT / CBS/AP

Louisiana has become the first state to require that the Ten Commandments be displayed in every public school classroom under a bill signed into law by Republican Gov. Jeff Landry on Wednesday.

The GOP-drafted legislation mandates that a poster-sized display of the Ten Commandments in "large, easily readable font" be required in all public classrooms, from kindergarten to state-funded universities. Although the bill did not receive final approval from Landry, the time for gubernatorial action - to sign or veto the bill - has lapsed.

Opponents question the law's constitutionality, warning that lawsuits are likely to follow. Proponents say the purpose of the measure is not solely religious, but that it has historical significance. In the law's language, the Ten Commandments are described as "foundational documents of our state and national government."

What a mess. These loonies that think the ten commandments are "foundational" to American law likely have only a child's understanding of either corpus.

Isn’t the follow up to these things always “which ten commandments?” In order to point out even the religious problem with this kind of mandate?

Isn’t the follow up to these things always “which ten commandments?” In order to point out even the religious problem with this kind of mandate?
Or why are they defiantly breaking the one about the Sabbath?

The more religion you jam down people's throats the less religious they're going to be long term. I wish they'd waste more money placing this silliness on every street corner in the state and every building.

Yeah, I'm not seeing a bunch of American teenagers having come to Jesus moments because they saw some shitty laminated posters of the ten commandments on a classroom wall.

Yeah, I'm not seeing a bunch of American teenagers having come to Jesus moments because they saw some shitty laminated posters of the ten commandments on a classroom wall.
It has nothing to do with religion. It is about control and reminding people who aren't Christians that they don't belong. Christian Nationalist bullshit.

It has nothing to do with religion. It is about control and reminding people who aren't Christians that they don't belong. Christian Nationalist bullshit.
Indeed. They're going to end up taking their church down with them, though, as happened in the revolutions of western Europe and in people's republics the world over. Even here in the US, the church thus far was saved only by some timely revival movements (and effectively new religions) interrupting what might otherwise have become a movement toward mass secularization. You certainly don't see many people proudly claiming their roots in the Church of England, even now; they cloak that history in euphemisms and extraordinarily good wine. Now these "evangelicals" believe they are already pariahs and martyrs, when nearly the opposite is true the second you leave the safety of a university campus. But it is within their power to make it true, and indeed they are now well along the path.

If you make the church an instrument of political oppression, you necessitate its forceful divestment by anyone who might desire civil liberties of their own.

Which version of the 10Cs did Louisiana choose to print?

So unfair. ALL COMMANDMENTS MATTER.

Which version of the 10Cs did Louisiana choose to print?

So unfair. ALL COMMANDMENTS MATTER.
Evangelicals only support the decalogue in Exodus. They don't know about the one in Deuteronomy.

Wait, wasn't Deuteronomy an Alan Parsons Project album?

The Torah is their treasure trove of hateful crap. Stuff the Jewish have, in part, let go of. I'd say most of the Tanakh is flyover country.

Even the events of Genesis and Exodus are largely ignored on any given Sunday. It's the mythic cultural history of a people they utterly despise, and they are VERY selective about which stories they pull out of them and which they ignore. Never mind Deuteronomy, Leviticus, or Numbers! They want to barge in and steal the privileges of the Covenant, but they are profoundly uninterested in the actual terms of the Covenant, to the point of being openly and publically dismissive of what the entire way of life that they call the "old law" or "ceremonial law". The Evangelical motto with respect to the Hebrew Scriptures is Swiss Cheese: Holes Only.

Come to think of it, perhaps this has been somewhat influential on US foreign policy, we're the same way about international treaties...

So, HOW does this end?

The People lost legal standing in 2007, so, hahaha that was the Freethinkers' fault. I'm right, you can't prove me wrong.

2007, Hein vs Idiots. Legal standing, y'all ain't got none.

If they are Christians wouldn’t they prefer Jesus’ messages on their walls, not Jewish ones?

I think the People lost legal standing to sue the government for investing in promoting one theological doctrine over all others in the 2007 Hein case. I am not a lawyer, so, I can't be sure, but, I've been mad about Hein since the first day we went to SCOTUS over it. The one secret that one lawyer whispered to me about Hein? He forgot it; even a slight reminder did not remind him.

I forget a lot, but some things are unforgettable. Having a top legal eagle tell me what he told me and not being able to repeat it has been eating at me since that morning in DC.

Sigh, I took my KIDS with me to DC that day, FOR the Hein case. I've been disappointed and bitter about it ever since he said what he said. But, he was right.

I believe that SCOTUS is ready to help the USA choose its God now. The 10C case will go up to a circuit court to be declared '"unconstitutional," like the abortion pill case just did, then SCOTUS will throw it out, not on its merits, but because citizens lack legal standing to sue the government for choosing a state religion or for sending taxpayer dollars to fund some Christian religious bodies, churches, and doctrines.

[Hein vs] "Freedom From Religion Foundation, 551 U.S. 587 (2007), was a decision by the United States Supreme Court which ruled that taxpayers do not have the right to challenge the constitutionality of expenditures by the executive branch of the government."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hein_v._Freedom_From_Religion_Foundation

Can someone tell me which version of the Ten Commandments did the State of Louisiana choose to be the One Ten Commandments to Rule Them All? I am not sure which version of which Bible was selected by the State as the True Bible, yet.

Mark 10, Luke 12, 14, 18, Matthew 19
Sell all you have and give to the poor. Why do the Xians want the 10 commandments in schools? Because Jesus commands that. (See the verses above) But these faux Christians leave off the punch line to these commands of Jesus to mind the ten commandments. Sell all you have and give to the poor.
Plus, Matthew 6:5-6. No public praying. Matthew 5, no religious oaths. Jesus commands, you obey!
Jesus commands it, the Bible proves it, that settles it.

My new hobby horse.

Christians, "Jesus didn't mean ME! My fantasy is over time every school child learns by age ten the Bible, Jesus, commands us to sell all we have and give to the poor. Very much taking the steam out of placing the ten commandments in schools to indoctrinate the kids. I have recently been posting over at Reddit R/atheist peddling this idea of flipping the script.

Yeehaw! religious holy war!

Even the events of Genesis and Exodus are largely ignored on any given Sunday. It's the mythic cultural history of a people they utterly despise, and they are VERY selective about which stories they pull out of them and which they ignore. Never mind Deuteronomy, Leviticus, or Numbers! They want to barge in and steal the privileges of the Covenant, but they are profoundly uninterested in the actual terms of the Covenant, to the point of being openly and publically dismissive of what the entire way of life that they call the "old law" or "ceremonial law". The Evangelical motto with respect to the Hebrew Scriptures is Swiss Cheese: Holes Only.

Come to think of it, perhaps this has been somewhat influential on US foreign policy, we're the same way about international treaties...
Indeed, they took alleged Jesus's alleged take on the law a bit childlike. Kind of argued that the spirit of the law matters more. He didn't say forget the Tanakh.

Can someone tell me which version of the Ten Commandments did the State of Louisiana choose to be the One Ten Commandments to Rule Them All? I am not sure which version of which Bible was selected by the State as the True Bible, yet.
I think that is an excellent question. Lots of first and second graders are going to want to know.

Seriously, I can see one christian group suing the state because the state's version of the dumbfuckery came from a bible to which they are religiously opposed, therefore violating their constitutional rights.

Whoever wants to win this one is going to have to make arguments regarding the fact that the last two Commandments are anti-Capitalist! :D

There are no laws against coveting, except... oh gosh, these two!

Back
Top Bottom