• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Mad Max: Fury Road

I heard it has a 106 minute chase scene.

Is it a fresh story line or continuation? I haven't seen the originals since the 80's. Junkie XL doing the score makes me giddy.

I've read it's a continuation. Part 4. But of course, the producers seem to have forgotten that Max was going gray in the Beyond Thunderdome and a lot of time had passed and the world had run out of gasoline.

I wonder how they're going to explain how Max is suddenly much younger.

Max Mad, the Lost Years?

Post-apocalyptic stories were popular during the Cold War because most of the public had anxieties about a possible nuclear holocaust.

Now that the threat of nuclear annihilation is greatly reduced, how is this story supposed to connect with its audience the same way the older movies did? Are they banking on pure nostalgia to carry the day?

Post-apocalyptic stories were popular during the Cold War because most of the public had anxieties about a possible nuclear holocaust.

Now that the threat of nuclear annihilation is greatly reduced, how is this story supposed to connect with its audience the same way the older movies did? Are they banking on pure nostalgia to carry the day?

Many people still expect the apocalypse. Resources are running low. People fear economic collapse. Hence the proliferation of all those 'survival' and "Doomsday preppers" reality shows.

Many people still expect the apocalypse. Resources are running low. People fear economic collapse. Hence the proliferation of all those 'survival' and "Doomsday preppers" reality shows.

Sure, there are always people who expect the world to end.

However, during the Cold War, everyone lived with the constant fear that it could happen at any moment. That's a little different from a few random kooks convincing themselves that the world is going to end, and that's the reason I don't think the same story will connect to modern audiences like the originals did.

Sure, there are always people who expect the world to end.

However, during the Cold War, everyone lived with the constant fear that it could happen at any moment. That's a little different from a few random kooks convincing themselves that the world is going to end, and that's the reason I don't think the same story will connect to modern audiences like the originals did.

I don't think audiences will have a problem.

People watch movies about post apocalyptic worlds without issue.

Hunger Games/Divergent type movies or TV shows like Defiance.

TV shows and movies about zombie-apocalyptic worlds are quite popular right now.

I don't recall wanting to watch any Mad Max movies because I believed a nuclear apocalypse would happen. I rented the movies because Mel Gibson was a hunk and it was an action flick.

The memory I have of Mad Max movies was that it wasn't a nuclear apocalypse, but things just kind of fiddled. The first movie still had Max as a cop and living with wife in the suburbs, albeit with criminal gangs apparently having an upper hand. The second movie was in the outback with survivors holding on to resources of old world order. And the third movie ended with that weird+ass tribe of child survivors that knew nothing of the old world except myths. But there wasnät any single event that caused the apocalypse, at least not to my memory (someone will now prove me wrong probably!)

Anyway I don't see how the new movie could fit into that continuity anymore. Probably it's just going to be a fun car chase.

Sure, a post-apocalyptic movie did not have to involve an actual nuclear apocalypse to connect with the audience's fears, but the audience's fears are what made post-apocalyptic stories more popular, at least in my opinion.

The memory I have of Mad Max movies was that it wasn't a nuclear apocalypse, but things just kind of fiddled. The first movie still had Max as a cop and living with wife in the suburbs, albeit with criminal gangs apparently having an upper hand. The second movie was in the outback with survivors holding on to resources of old world order. And the third movie ended with that weird+ass tribe of child survivors that knew nothing of the old world except myths. But there wasnät any single event that caused the apocalypse, at least not to my memory (someone will now prove me wrong probably!)

Anyway I don't see how the new movie could fit into that continuity anymore. Probably it's just going to be a fun car chase.

It was about diminishing resources that did end up in a nuclear war.

Back
Top Bottom