• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.
  • 2021 Internet Infidels Fundraising Drive
    Greetings! Time for the annual fundraiser.Sorry for the late update, we normally start this early in October. Funds are needed to keep II and IIDB online. I was not able to get an IIDB based donations addon implemented for this year, I will make sure to have that done for next year. You can help support II in several ways, please visit the Support Us page for more info. Or just click:

I will try to track all donations from IIDB. Many thanks to those that have already donated. The current total is $923. If everyone dontated just $5, we would easily hit our goal.

Major League Baseball

rousseau

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Realist
Has there ever been a World Series where the visiting team won every game?

Nope, but there also hasn't been a day where some statistical anomaly wasn't generated by the random number generator (MLB).

In fact, it's never even happened for the first six games, in MLB, NBA, or NHL; so, the first time in 1,420 best-of-7 series.

It'd be interesting to get a statistician on it. Based on this link there's only 35 different permutations in a 7 game series. So given random chance you should get roughly that sequence every 35 series.

That it didn't happen until 1420 were played suggests to me that home-field advantage is huge. I wonder if someone's tried to quantify that before..

blastula

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Gnostic atheist
Congrats to the Nats and to the Stros for giving me my dream series. When my team is not in it, I always root for the road team. This was a dream come true!

Still amazed that Kendrick batted .344, good for him. But go to hell Soto, keep your crotch out of my face.

TSwizzle

Let's go Brandon!
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
I always watch baseball after I have recorded at least an hour. So I was only in to the fourth inning and the Astros up by two runs when a notification popped up on my phone with the title "Nationals Win Their First World Series" !! Kinda spoiled it for me. But the Nationals deserved their championship, they played a hell of a series, winning all their games on the road (as did the Astros) and playing some really good baseball. Two great teams. What an enjoyable series that was.

blastula

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Gnostic atheist
Also, the last 4 WS champions had to beat the Dodgers to make it. Yay for being stepping-stones.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
The Expos finally won the World Series! This should have been their second one, but the players couldn't handle a French Canadien city winning the World Series, so they made with the strike. :(

ronburgundy

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist/Scientist
I always watch baseball after I have recorded at least an hour. So I was only in to the fourth inning and the Astros up by two runs when a notification popped up on my phone with the title "Nationals Win Their First World Series" !! Kinda spoiled it for me. But the Nationals deserved their championship, they played a hell of a series, winning all their games on the road (as did the Astros) and playing some really good baseball. Two great teams. What an enjoyable series that was.

Yeah, I don't have any sports apps like ESPN on my phone, just for that reason.

An amazing post-season run by the Nats. To come from behind in the late innings of 5 elimination games is impressive.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist

Yeah, I don't have any sports apps like ESPN on my phone, just for that reason.
And Apple News says "Hold my beer". I need to find out how to stop those push notifications.

TSwizzle

Let's go Brandon!
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Well, well, well. Seems there has been some cheating going on the past few years. Could this be the reason why Yu Darvish was clobbered in the 2017 World Series ? Maybe I was too hard on the guy and Dave Roberts for that matter.

ronburgundy

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist/Scientist
Well, well, well. Seems there has been some cheating going on the past few years. Could this be the reason why Yu Darvish was clobbered in the 2017 World Series ? Maybe I was too hard on the guy and Dave Roberts for that matter.

Well, Darvish was pretty lousy in 2018 with the Cubs, and only mediocre/average last year. So, I'm not sure his 2017 WS performance was merely a product of being cheated.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
So the HoF stuff just went down and Montreal Expo Larry Walker is in the Hall of Fame... and so is some other guy who played for the Yankees. The Yankee guy had the second highest HoF vote percentage ever. The guy with the most was some living cheat code who also played for the Yankees.

So my question is this... Ted Williams, the best batter ever? 6 batting titles, 2 triple crowns, highest career on base percentage. If it isn't for WWII, he might have had 1 to 3 more Triple Crowns. He had a 93% HoF vote, which is like 20th overall. So pretty high, but umm... 93%? In a year where he is the only one inducted? What the heck? Hank Aaron holds the record for homeruns in a career. He was off of 9 ballots? I don't get it.

TSwizzle

Let's go Brandon!
Basic Beliefs
Atheist

Well, Darvish was pretty lousy in 2018 with the Cubs, and only mediocre/average last year. So, I'm not sure his 2017 WS performance was merely a product of being cheated.

True, and Darvish getting clobbered was not unknown. Darvish himself doesn't think he was "tipping pitches" in the game he was clobbered.

Meanwhile, LA City Council passed a measure to ask MLB to award 2017 and 2018 the World Series. MLB obviously won't do that. Elsewhere in the city, homeless camps continue to expand.

hurtinbuckaroo

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
laissez le bon temps rouler
So the HoF stuff just went down and Montreal Expo Larry Walker is in the Hall of Fame... and so is some other guy who played for the Yankees. The Yankee guy had the second highest HoF vote percentage ever. The guy with the most was some living cheat code who also played for the Yankees.

So my question is this... Ted Williams, the best batter ever? 6 batting titles, 2 triple crowns, highest career on base percentage. If it isn't for WWII, he might have had 1 to 3 more Triple Crowns. He had a 93% HoF vote, which is like 20th overall. So pretty high, but umm... 93%? In a year where he is the only one inducted? What the heck? Hank Aaron holds the record for homeruns in a career. He was off of 9 ballots? I don't get it.

When you consider who casts HOF ballots (the press), and Williams' difficult relationship with them, it's surprising his % was that high.

As for Aaron, there are some writers who didn't want to vote for anyone in their first year of eligibility. I won't speculate on what other reasons some of those nine writers might have had.

Is Williams the best hitter ever? Consider that he was able to win the batting title when he was 40 years old, lost the 1949 title by .00015, would have had another one in 1954, but he got so many walks that he didn't have enough "official at-bats". He's one of the reasons the rule was changed to use "plate appearances" instead of "official at-bats" as the qualifier. Also, while you mentioned WWII, he was also drafted to fight in Korea, and lost all but six games in 1952 and 37 in 1953. Unfortunately for him, 20/10 eyesight and great reflexes also made him a good fighter pilot (on half his flights in Korea, he was John Glenn's wingman).

There have been players with higher batting averages, but when you throw in his power stats, he's a good choice for the best ever.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
Uh, how 'bout Babe Ruth https://www.mlb.com/news/babe-ruth-s-top-10-career-statistics-c163792958

und

.. how about Ty Cobb https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ompared-by-traditional-and-modern-measurments

and the answer to you power states speculation the answer is a spectacular nope.
You respond as if hurtinbuckaroo suggested John Olerud was the best hitter of all time (though he is under-rated).

Firstly, Ted Williams lost three prime years fighting WWII and later but still great years in Korea. The stats of the two greats likely even up

Secondly, Ted Williams won the Triple Crown twice and was one at bat from thrice. Babe Ruth never won it.

Thirdly, yes, Babe Ruth was awesome. This becomes a bit of a Brady v Montana or Jordan v James argument. But suggesting Williams is the greatest hitter, the last man to bat over .400, lead history in career on base percentage, and have his stats quelled by service in two wars... it is hardly crazy.

hurtinbuckaroo

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
laissez le bon temps rouler
Uh, how 'bout Babe Ruth https://www.mlb.com/news/babe-ruth-s-top-10-career-statistics-c163792958

und

.. how about Ty Cobb https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ompared-by-traditional-and-modern-measurments

and the answer to you power states speculation the answer is a spectacular nope.
You respond as if hurtinbuckaroo suggested John Olerud was the best hitter of all time (though he is under-rated).

Firstly, Ted Williams lost three prime years fighting WWII and later but still great years in Korea. The stats of the two greats likely even up

Secondly, Ted Williams won the Triple Crown twice and was one at bat from thrice. Babe Ruth never won it.

Thirdly, yes, Babe Ruth was awesome. This becomes a bit of a Brady v Montana or Jordan v James argument. But suggesting Williams is the greatest hitter, the last man to bat over .400, lead history in career on base percentage, and have his stats quelled by service in two wars... it is hardly crazy.

LOL, someone posting a couple of links, without even bothering to put forth a reasoned argument (or even an unreasoned one), isn't worthy of a response. Don't waste your time on it.

blastula

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Gnostic atheist
Dodger and Yankee fans to greet Astros at Angel Stadium

The Los Angeles Dodgers don’t play the Houston Astros this year, but that wasn’t going to stop their fans from booing the team that might have cheated them out of their first World Series title since 1988.

Pantone 294, a traveling group of Dodgers fans, told Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times that it has secured 2,727 tickets to the Angels’ home opener in Anaheim, which happens to be against the Astros. You can probably guess what they plan to do at the game.

Funny, and I have to think that it's not just Dodger and Yankee fans who will be heckling them over this for a long time to come.

It very well could have cost the Dodgers the series, especially looking at game 5 which they lost 13-12. Mike Friers pulled a Bolton, keeping his mouth shut until it didn't matter.

I find it too convenient that the investigation absolved the ownership of any wrongdoing. But I won't get too indignant though because who knows which other teams have been doing something like this.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
I think absolving the players seems to be the bigger issue. The ownership could easily not be involved. But the players... even those that didn't engage in it or the pitchers... they knew. I think there is humor in that they did this and people didn't catch on.

They had this on NPR, and one note a guy made was that catchers are doing multiple signals regardless if players are on base, which means they think someone is looking. That implies there is cheating... everywhere. I think the simple solution is to kill everyone.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist

blastula

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Gnostic atheist
Still it's zero punishment vs. permanent ban. He also brought peds. Bonds and Clemens still haven't made the HOF though eligible. Rose mostly wants to get in the HOF. I'd bet he wouldn't make it even if lifted.

ronburgundy

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist/Scientist
Well yes the selective amnesty for players is curious and perhaps sets a precedent for others to hitch onto.

Pete Rose uses Astros saga to ask for reinstatement - ESPN

Rose was betting on games when he was a manager.
One was cheating to win the World Series, the other was cheating to win money.

When you strip the context, it is the same thing.

Betting isn't "cheating". He broke the ancillary rules of employment by the MLB, not the rules of the sport of baseball itself.
One act changes the outcome the games themselves and erodes the entire point of competitive sport. The other does nothing like that and merely is frowned upon b/c gambling is a sin and someone who gambles on their own sport might then be motivated to cheat on the game itself in order to win their bet, but there is no evidence Rose ever did that.

Breaking a rule designed to prevent the appearance that you might be breaking an actual important rule is not the same as actually breaking the important rule.

rousseau

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Realist
So last year I skipped the entire regular season and only tuned in for the playoffs which turned out well. With the division winners being largely predictable, the MLB makes a pretty good analogy with the Champion's League - the real competition is between those at the top of their respective divisions, rather than within divisions.

You can sense this during a lot of regular season games - I'm playing this game because I'm contractually obligated to, and trying to do well at it because if not I lose my job, versus the postseason where players actually care about winning.

It makes the regular season an exercise for the purist, and the person who likes drinking beer and watching sports.

TSwizzle

Let's go Brandon!
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Playoffs are well under way. The Dodgers have their backs to the wall as they have lost the first two games and they look to be out muscled in both pitching and batting. Last night's game was very good. The Dodgers looked dead and buried after falling behind 7-0 before Corey Seager hit a three run homer in the bottom of the seventh to get their ass back in the game 7-3. At the start of the bottom of the ninth, the Dodgers were trailing 8-3 and what an exciting finish. The score was 8-7 with a runner on base and the winning run at the plate with two outs. Alas, they just couldn't get a score. But it was an exciting finish, much better than the first game. Also good to see fans in the stands, spread out of course but still, plenty people in attendance.

GO BLUE !!

TV and credit cards

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Humanist
Playoffs are well under way. The Dodgers have their backs to the wall as they have lost the first two games and they look to be out muscled in both pitching and batting. Last night's game was very good. The Dodgers looked dead and buried after falling behind 7-0 before Corey Seager hit a three run homer in the bottom of the seventh to get their ass back in the game 7-3. At the start of the bottom of the ninth, the Dodgers were trailing 8-3 and what an exciting finish. The score was 8-7 with a runner on base and the winning run at the plate with two outs. Alas, they just couldn't get a score. But it was an exciting finish, much better than the first game. Also good to see fans in the stands, spread out of course but still, plenty people in attendance.

GO BLUE !!

Little better.

Screenshot_2020-10-15 The Official Site of Major League Baseball(1).png

TSwizzle

Let's go Brandon!
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
An incredible first inning for the Dodgers last night who beat up Braves' starting pitcher. Holy cow, the Dodgers were relentless in the first inning. Muncy, who has been sub par during the play offs blasted a grand slam. But it all started with Mookie Betts who has also been quite subdued and was the lead off batter. The play was incredible. Mookie grounds down the third base line, Camargo did well to field it but made an incredible throw across the diamond and Freeman made an incredible catch and Mookie, tanking down the just inside the base line was called out. Dodgers challenge and the call is overturned. And that started an incredible first inning for the Dodgers. The rest of the game played out as normal but that first inning, WOW ! A decent crowd in the stands to watch the game too. Braves lead the series 2-1.

GO BLUE !!

TSwizzle

Let's go Brandon!
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Oh boy, The Dodgers got their asses kicked last night. An abysmal performance from the bats and a couple of errors from sloppy defense. Two runs scored on three hits for the Dodgers while the Braves went to town in the sixth inning and scored six runs. Although Kershaw was shaky I think this loss wasn't his fault. Dave Roberts just doesn't seem to know when to take Kershaw out. Every Dodger fan knows that Kershaw in October is not quite the same as Kershaw in the regular season. Roberts' faith in Kershaw is causing a blind spot. Ah well, the Dodgers are facing elimination tonight but I think a strained Braves bullpen will see that the Dodgers will survive and make it to game six.

GO BLUE !!!

TSwizzle

Let's go Brandon!
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
To the relief of many, the Astros are eliminated.

Dodgers force a game seven by beating the Braves 3-1. This will be a very difficult game for the Dodgers as they face a strong Braves bullpen tonight.

Harry Bosch

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist

Dodgers force a game seven by beating the Braves 3-1. This will be a very difficult game for the Dodgers as they face a strong Braves bullpen tonight.

Well, the Astros are cheaters who deserve to lose their championship for last year. Then to top it off, they completely blamed others for the cheating and didn't responsibility despite being caught. The sad thing is that they are so talented that they could have the title without cheating.

TSwizzle

Let's go Brandon!
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
The Dodgers seal their place in the World Series with a hard fought 4-3 win in game seven over the Braves. A Cody Bellinger solo home run in the seventh was all that separated the two team and Urias closed down the Braves to win the game. A great game with lots of good plays.

I know nothing about Tampa, I couldn't name one player on that team so I can't give a prediction. Just hope the Dodgers can come through.

GO BLUE !!​

TSwizzle

Let's go Brandon!
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
The Dodgers take game one 3-8 with an impressive performance from Mookie Betts who set things in motion with his base stealing and running. It was an evenly matched game and Kershaw pitched really well for six innings.

GO BLUE !!

ronburgundy

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist/Scientist

Well, the Astros are cheaters who deserve to lose their championship for last year. Then to top it off, they completely blamed others for the cheating and didn't responsibility despite being caught. The sad thing is that they are so talented that they could have the title without cheating.

I must admit, that I was a bit torn. While I didn't want the Astros to win the W.S., a Dodgers-Astros rematch with such a hateable villain would have been great theater, and it's just a game after all.

TSwizzle

Let's go Brandon!
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Uh-oh, the Rays take game two 6-4. The Dodgers used a lot of pitchers and were behind from the first inning. A pretty good game though and you can see where Dodger game management made mistake in putting on the shift which prevented the Dodgers executing a double play. No game tonight and battle resumes Friday.

GO BLUE

Playball40

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Non-religious
Uh-oh, the Rays take game two 6-4. The Dodgers used a lot of pitchers and were behind from the first inning. A pretty good game though and you can see where Dodger game management made mistake in putting on the shift which prevented the Dodgers executing a double play. No game tonight and battle resumes Friday.

GO BLUE

By Uh-oh you really meant WAHOO! Right??

GO RAYS!!!!!!!!

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
I thought the Dodgers were supposed to lose. Isn't that what they do after winning the NL West 8 times straight, but lose in the playoffs? Is it not supposed to go like that?

TSwizzle

Let's go Brandon!
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
LA Dodgers win their first World Series in 32 years and what a great series it was. Game four was epic but game six was just as interesting. A very tight game indeed. Snell on the mound for the Rays absolutely cruising into the sixth inning, leading 1-0, when he gives up a hit, a single to Austin Barnes. Snell gets pulled for Anderson and the Dodgers could smell blood and go on to score two runs and getting an insurance run from a Mookie Betts home run in the eighth. Urias closed out the game with brilliant pitching. A great night, the fans in the stands go wild and it gets a bit crazy in Los Angeles but what a great series.

ronburgundy

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist/Scientist
LA Dodgers win their first World Series in 32 years and what a great series it was. Game four was epic but game six was just as interesting. A very tight game indeed. Snell on the mound for the Rays absolutely cruising into the sixth inning, leading 1-0, when he gives up a hit, a single to Austin Barnes. Snell gets pulled for Anderson and the Dodgers could smell blood and go on to score two runs and getting an insurance run from a Mookie Betts home run in the eighth. Urias closed out the game with brilliant pitching. A great night, the fans in the stands go wild and it gets a bit crazy in Los Angeles but what a great series.

I was rooting for Dodgers in 7, but mostly wanted a game 7. It was a great series up until the 6th inning. The Dodgers should cut Kevin Cash a check for what has to be one of the dumbest managerial decisions in WS history (and Roberts is familiar with those). It was one of the most glaring examples I've seen of when analytics should be disregarded in favor of what is happening in that moment on the field. Analytics only tell you what is typical, but Snell pitching one the best games of his life is atypical and thus analytics don't apply. Not to mention, he replaced him with a right-hander who Betts and Seager are better against. So, it isn't clear that even the analytics supported that decision.

TSwizzle

Let's go Brandon!
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
It's hard to believe that Cash took him out when he did. I don't think there's a baseball fan anywhere never mind in Tampa that would agree with that decision. Betts was very poor at the plate this whole series and does terrible against left handed pitching. How did the analytics and Cash miss that ? The Dodgers were set up or at least prepared for a game seven which I think they would have won anyway and I was sort of looking forward to.

TSwizzle

Let's go Brandon!
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
MLB is back baby !! Spring training already underway but the games are only five innings, WTF ?! And there’s some weird rule about the pitching. But at least in Arizona there are limited fans in attendance. I just read why Angeles player Andrelton Simmons couldn’t finish the last five games of last season. I was very sad to see him leave the Angeles, he was an excellent fielder.

steve_bank

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
secular-skeptic
A Brit interested in baseball, you don't see that every day.

Is BB replacing Cricket?

TSwizzle

Let's go Brandon!
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
A Brit interested in baseball, you don't see that every day.

Is BB replacing Cricket?

:D Having lived in California for 25 years baseball has grown on me and it's my favorite sport to follow. Baseball, NFL then football I guess. I've never had any interest in cricket but will occasionally check in with the world cup or Twenty20 if there is a buzz going on.

blastula

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Gnostic atheist
Entertaining weekend series from Pads and Dodgers, LA took first 2 and lost the last. Friday had lots of back and forth scoring and went 12. Sunday was a good pitching duel and SD came back in the 8th to win. Saturday had the best play of the series:

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/Dodgers/status/1384273086942375937[/TWEET]

Outstanding walk-off catch with the tying runners in scoring position. .

Last edited:

ZiprHead

Loony Running The Asylum
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Democratic Socialist Atheist
[TWEET]<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sell the team. <a href="https://t.co/MW9LG2PNhk">pic.twitter.com/MW9LG2PNhk</a></p>— Pat McAfee (@PatMcAfeeShow) <a href="https://twitter.com/PatMcAfeeShow/status/1397972933755158535?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 27, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>[/TWEET]..

TSwizzle

Let's go Brandon!
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Entertaining weekend series from Pads and Dodgers, LA took first 2 and lost the last. Friday had lots of back and forth scoring and went 12. Sunday was a good pitching duel and SD came back in the 8th to win. Saturday had the best play of the series:

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/Dodgers/status/1384273086942375937[/TWEET]

Outstanding walk-off catch with the tying runners in scoring position.

I was in San Diego earlier this week at Petco Park for a SDSU graduation ceremony. I rarely get to see Dodgers or Padres these days. I could easily get on board with watching the Padres if I move down there. I’m still watching the Angels but keeping an eye on Pujols who signed for the Dodgers. Seems to have hit a few home runs our Pujols.

Top Bottom