• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Major League Baseball

Has there ever been a World Series where the visiting team won every game?

Nope, but there also hasn't been a day where some statistical anomaly wasn't generated by the random number generator (MLB).

In fact, it's never even happened for the first six games, in MLB, NBA, or NHL; so, the first time in 1,420 best-of-7 series.

It'd be interesting to get a statistician on it. Based on this link there's only 35 different permutations in a 7 game series. So given random chance you should get roughly that sequence every 35 series.

That it didn't happen until 1420 were played suggests to me that home-field advantage is huge. I wonder if someone's tried to quantify that before..

Congrats to the Nats and to the Stros for giving me my dream series. When my team is not in it, I always root for the road team. This was a dream come true!

Still amazed that Kendrick batted .344, good for him. But go to hell Soto, keep your crotch out of my face.

I always watch baseball after I have recorded at least an hour. So I was only in to the fourth inning and the Astros up by two runs when a notification popped up on my phone with the title "Nationals Win Their First World Series" !! Kinda spoiled it for me. But the Nationals deserved their championship, they played a hell of a series, winning all their games on the road (as did the Astros) and playing some really good baseball. Two great teams. What an enjoyable series that was.

Also, the last 4 WS champions had to beat the Dodgers to make it. Yay for being stepping-stones.

The Expos finally won the World Series! This should have been their second one, but the players couldn't handle a French Canadien city winning the World Series, so they made with the strike. :(

I always watch baseball after I have recorded at least an hour. So I was only in to the fourth inning and the Astros up by two runs when a notification popped up on my phone with the title "Nationals Win Their First World Series" !! Kinda spoiled it for me. But the Nationals deserved their championship, they played a hell of a series, winning all their games on the road (as did the Astros) and playing some really good baseball. Two great teams. What an enjoyable series that was.

Yeah, I don't have any sports apps like ESPN on my phone, just for that reason.

An amazing post-season run by the Nats. To come from behind in the late innings of 5 elimination games is impressive.

Yeah, I don't have any sports apps like ESPN on my phone, just for that reason.
And Apple News says "Hold my beer". I need to find out how to stop those push notifications.

Some of the best baseball completion, pitching, and plays I've seen.

Well, well, well. Seems there has been some cheating going on the past few years. Could this be the reason why Yu Darvish was clobbered in the 2017 World Series ? Maybe I was too hard on the guy and Dave Roberts for that matter.

Well, well, well. Seems there has been some cheating going on the past few years. Could this be the reason why Yu Darvish was clobbered in the 2017 World Series ? Maybe I was too hard on the guy and Dave Roberts for that matter.

Well, Darvish was pretty lousy in 2018 with the Cubs, and only mediocre/average last year. So, I'm not sure his 2017 WS performance was merely a product of being cheated.

So the HoF stuff just went down and Montreal Expo Larry Walker is in the Hall of Fame... and so is some other guy who played for the Yankees. The Yankee guy had the second highest HoF vote percentage ever. The guy with the most was some living cheat code who also played for the Yankees.

So my question is this... Ted Williams, the best batter ever? 6 batting titles, 2 triple crowns, highest career on base percentage. If it isn't for WWII, he might have had 1 to 3 more Triple Crowns. He had a 93% HoF vote, which is like 20th overall. So pretty high, but umm... 93%? In a year where he is the only one inducted? What the heck? Hank Aaron holds the record for homeruns in a career. He was off of 9 ballots? I don't get it.

Well, Darvish was pretty lousy in 2018 with the Cubs, and only mediocre/average last year. So, I'm not sure his 2017 WS performance was merely a product of being cheated.

True, and Darvish getting clobbered was not unknown. Darvish himself doesn't think he was "tipping pitches" in the game he was clobbered.

Meanwhile, LA City Council passed a measure to ask MLB to award 2017 and 2018 the World Series. MLB obviously won't do that. Elsewhere in the city, homeless camps continue to expand.

So the HoF stuff just went down and Montreal Expo Larry Walker is in the Hall of Fame... and so is some other guy who played for the Yankees. The Yankee guy had the second highest HoF vote percentage ever. The guy with the most was some living cheat code who also played for the Yankees.

So my question is this... Ted Williams, the best batter ever? 6 batting titles, 2 triple crowns, highest career on base percentage. If it isn't for WWII, he might have had 1 to 3 more Triple Crowns. He had a 93% HoF vote, which is like 20th overall. So pretty high, but umm... 93%? In a year where he is the only one inducted? What the heck? Hank Aaron holds the record for homeruns in a career. He was off of 9 ballots? I don't get it.

When you consider who casts HOF ballots (the press), and Williams' difficult relationship with them, it's surprising his % was that high.

As for Aaron, there are some writers who didn't want to vote for anyone in their first year of eligibility. I won't speculate on what other reasons some of those nine writers might have had.

Is Williams the best hitter ever? Consider that he was able to win the batting title when he was 40 years old, lost the 1949 title by .00015, would have had another one in 1954, but he got so many walks that he didn't have enough "official at-bats". He's one of the reasons the rule was changed to use "plate appearances" instead of "official at-bats" as the qualifier. Also, while you mentioned WWII, he was also drafted to fight in Korea, and lost all but six games in 1952 and 37 in 1953. Unfortunately for him, 20/10 eyesight and great reflexes also made him a good fighter pilot (on half his flights in Korea, he was John Glenn's wingman).

There have been players with higher batting averages, but when you throw in his power stats, he's a good choice for the best ever.

Uh, how 'bout Babe Ruth https://www.mlb.com/news/babe-ruth-s-top-10-career-statistics-c163792958

und

.. how about Ty Cobb https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ompared-by-traditional-and-modern-measurments

and the answer to you power states speculation the answer is a spectacular nope.
You respond as if hurtinbuckaroo suggested John Olerud was the best hitter of all time (though he is under-rated).

Firstly, Ted Williams lost three prime years fighting WWII and later but still great years in Korea. The stats of the two greats likely even up

Secondly, Ted Williams won the Triple Crown twice and was one at bat from thrice. Babe Ruth never won it.

Thirdly, yes, Babe Ruth was awesome. This becomes a bit of a Brady v Montana or Jordan v James argument. But suggesting Williams is the greatest hitter, the last man to bat over .400, lead history in career on base percentage, and have his stats quelled by service in two wars... it is hardly crazy.

Uh, how 'bout Babe Ruth https://www.mlb.com/news/babe-ruth-s-top-10-career-statistics-c163792958

und

.. how about Ty Cobb https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ompared-by-traditional-and-modern-measurments

and the answer to you power states speculation the answer is a spectacular nope.
You respond as if hurtinbuckaroo suggested John Olerud was the best hitter of all time (though he is under-rated).

Firstly, Ted Williams lost three prime years fighting WWII and later but still great years in Korea. The stats of the two greats likely even up

Secondly, Ted Williams won the Triple Crown twice and was one at bat from thrice. Babe Ruth never won it.

Thirdly, yes, Babe Ruth was awesome. This becomes a bit of a Brady v Montana or Jordan v James argument. But suggesting Williams is the greatest hitter, the last man to bat over .400, lead history in career on base percentage, and have his stats quelled by service in two wars... it is hardly crazy.

LOL, someone posting a couple of links, without even bothering to put forth a reasoned argument (or even an unreasoned one), isn't worthy of a response. Don't waste your time on it.

Dodger and Yankee fans to greet Astros at Angel Stadium

The Los Angeles Dodgers don’t play the Houston Astros this year, but that wasn’t going to stop their fans from booing the team that might have cheated them out of their first World Series title since 1988.

Pantone 294, a traveling group of Dodgers fans, told Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times that it has secured 2,727 tickets to the Angels’ home opener in Anaheim, which happens to be against the Astros. You can probably guess what they plan to do at the game.

Funny, and I have to think that it's not just Dodger and Yankee fans who will be heckling them over this for a long time to come.

It very well could have cost the Dodgers the series, especially looking at game 5 which they lost 13-12. Mike Friers pulled a Bolton, keeping his mouth shut until it didn't matter.

I find it too convenient that the investigation absolved the ownership of any wrongdoing. But I won't get too indignant though because who knows which other teams have been doing something like this.

I think absolving the players seems to be the bigger issue. The ownership could easily not be involved. But the players... even those that didn't engage in it or the pitchers... they knew. I think there is humor in that they did this and people didn't catch on.

They had this on NPR, and one note a guy made was that catchers are doing multiple signals regardless if players are on base, which means they think someone is looking. That implies there is cheating... everywhere. I think the simple solution is to kill everyone.

Back
Top Bottom