• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Major League Baseball

Still it's zero punishment vs. permanent ban. He also brought peds. Bonds and Clemens still haven't made the HOF though eligible. Rose mostly wants to get in the HOF. I'd bet he wouldn't make it even if lifted.

Well yes the selective amnesty for players is curious and perhaps sets a precedent for others to hitch onto.

Pete Rose uses Astros saga to ask for reinstatement - ESPN

Rose was betting on games when he was a manager.
One was cheating to win the World Series, the other was cheating to win money.

When you strip the context, it is the same thing.

Betting isn't "cheating". He broke the ancillary rules of employment by the MLB, not the rules of the sport of baseball itself.
One act changes the outcome the games themselves and erodes the entire point of competitive sport. The other does nothing like that and merely is frowned upon b/c gambling is a sin and someone who gambles on their own sport might then be motivated to cheat on the game itself in order to win their bet, but there is no evidence Rose ever did that.

Breaking a rule designed to prevent the appearance that you might be breaking an actual important rule is not the same as actually breaking the important rule.

So last year I skipped the entire regular season and only tuned in for the playoffs which turned out well. With the division winners being largely predictable, the MLB makes a pretty good analogy with the Champion's League - the real competition is between those at the top of their respective divisions, rather than within divisions.

You can sense this during a lot of regular season games - I'm playing this game because I'm contractually obligated to, and trying to do well at it because if not I lose my job, versus the postseason where players actually care about winning.

It makes the regular season an exercise for the purist, and the person who likes drinking beer and watching sports.

Playoffs are well under way. The Dodgers have their backs to the wall as they have lost the first two games and they look to be out muscled in both pitching and batting. Last night's game was very good. The Dodgers looked dead and buried after falling behind 7-0 before Corey Seager hit a three run homer in the bottom of the seventh to get their ass back in the game 7-3. At the start of the bottom of the ninth, the Dodgers were trailing 8-3 and what an exciting finish. The score was 8-7 with a runner on base and the winning run at the plate with two outs. Alas, they just couldn't get a score. But it was an exciting finish, much better than the first game. Also good to see fans in the stands, spread out of course but still, plenty people in attendance.

GO BLUE !!

Playoffs are well under way. The Dodgers have their backs to the wall as they have lost the first two games and they look to be out muscled in both pitching and batting. Last night's game was very good. The Dodgers looked dead and buried after falling behind 7-0 before Corey Seager hit a three run homer in the bottom of the seventh to get their ass back in the game 7-3. At the start of the bottom of the ninth, the Dodgers were trailing 8-3 and what an exciting finish. The score was 8-7 with a runner on base and the winning run at the plate with two outs. Alas, they just couldn't get a score. But it was an exciting finish, much better than the first game. Also good to see fans in the stands, spread out of course but still, plenty people in attendance.

GO BLUE !!

Little better.

Screenshot_2020-10-15 The Official Site of Major League Baseball(1).png

An incredible first inning for the Dodgers last night who beat up Braves' starting pitcher. Holy cow, the Dodgers were relentless in the first inning. Muncy, who has been sub par during the play offs blasted a grand slam. But it all started with Mookie Betts who has also been quite subdued and was the lead off batter. The play was incredible. Mookie grounds down the third base line, Camargo did well to field it but made an incredible throw across the diamond and Freeman made an incredible catch and Mookie, tanking down the just inside the base line was called out. Dodgers challenge and the call is overturned. And that started an incredible first inning for the Dodgers. The rest of the game played out as normal but that first inning, WOW ! A decent crowd in the stands to watch the game too. Braves lead the series 2-1.

GO BLUE !!

Oh boy, The Dodgers got their asses kicked last night. An abysmal performance from the bats and a couple of errors from sloppy defense. Two runs scored on three hits for the Dodgers while the Braves went to town in the sixth inning and scored six runs. Although Kershaw was shaky I think this loss wasn't his fault. Dave Roberts just doesn't seem to know when to take Kershaw out. Every Dodger fan knows that Kershaw in October is not quite the same as Kershaw in the regular season. Roberts' faith in Kershaw is causing a blind spot. Ah well, the Dodgers are facing elimination tonight but I think a strained Braves bullpen will see that the Dodgers will survive and make it to game six.

GO BLUE !!!

To the relief of many, the Astros are eliminated.

Dodgers force a game seven by beating the Braves 3-1. This will be a very difficult game for the Dodgers as they face a strong Braves bullpen tonight.

Dodgers force a game seven by beating the Braves 3-1. This will be a very difficult game for the Dodgers as they face a strong Braves bullpen tonight.

Well, the Astros are cheaters who deserve to lose their championship for last year. Then to top it off, they completely blamed others for the cheating and didn't responsibility despite being caught. The sad thing is that they are so talented that they could have the title without cheating.

The Dodgers seal their place in the World Series with a hard fought 4-3 win in game seven over the Braves. A Cody Bellinger solo home run in the seventh was all that separated the two team and Urias closed down the Braves to win the game. A great game with lots of good plays.

I know nothing about Tampa, I couldn't name one player on that team so I can't give a prediction. Just hope the Dodgers can come through.

GO BLUE !!​

The Dodgers take game one 3-8 with an impressive performance from Mookie Betts who set things in motion with his base stealing and running. It was an evenly matched game and Kershaw pitched really well for six innings.

GO BLUE !!

Well, the Astros are cheaters who deserve to lose their championship for last year. Then to top it off, they completely blamed others for the cheating and didn't responsibility despite being caught. The sad thing is that they are so talented that they could have the title without cheating.

I must admit, that I was a bit torn. While I didn't want the Astros to win the W.S., a Dodgers-Astros rematch with such a hateable villain would have been great theater, and it's just a game after all.

Uh-oh, the Rays take game two 6-4. The Dodgers used a lot of pitchers and were behind from the first inning. A pretty good game though and you can see where Dodger game management made mistake in putting on the shift which prevented the Dodgers executing a double play. No game tonight and battle resumes Friday.

GO BLUE

Uh-oh, the Rays take game two 6-4. The Dodgers used a lot of pitchers and were behind from the first inning. A pretty good game though and you can see where Dodger game management made mistake in putting on the shift which prevented the Dodgers executing a double play. No game tonight and battle resumes Friday.

GO BLUE

By Uh-oh you really meant WAHOO! Right??

GO RAYS!!!!!!!!

I thought the Dodgers were supposed to lose. Isn't that what they do after winning the NL West 8 times straight, but lose in the playoffs? Is it not supposed to go like that?

LA Dodgers win their first World Series in 32 years and what a great series it was. Game four was epic but game six was just as interesting. A very tight game indeed. Snell on the mound for the Rays absolutely cruising into the sixth inning, leading 1-0, when he gives up a hit, a single to Austin Barnes. Snell gets pulled for Anderson and the Dodgers could smell blood and go on to score two runs and getting an insurance run from a Mookie Betts home run in the eighth. Urias closed out the game with brilliant pitching. A great night, the fans in the stands go wild and it gets a bit crazy in Los Angeles but what a great series.

Back
Top Bottom