• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Major League Baseball

Learned about this MLB tidbit recently.
[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2qOK8J9Be8[/YOUTUBE]

Sad to learn that Bill Freehan - a member of the 1968 Detroit Tigers World Series championship team - has died.

I was too young to remember that victory, and never met the man, but my dad did. I'm not sure how exactly it transpired, but my dad took Freehan and fellow '68 Tigers alum Jim Northrup on a fishing trip. Not long after, he came home with a baseball that was covered in autographs. According to my father, Freehan wanted to repay him for a successful adventure, and asked "do your sons like baseball?" He went down to Tiger Stadium, and had the entire team sign a ball for us. Mind you, this was in 1976, before autographed baseballs became a hot commodity. The stand out signatures were from legendary manager Ralph Houk, and this young rookie named Mark Fidrych...who went on to have an epic season with the Tigers.

A few years ago I was doing a recording session with Bob Uecker, and talked to him about Freehan and the '68 Tigers. He knew all those guys.

I wonder what ever happened to that baseball...

My dad actually took me to a game that season. I idolized Bill Freehan. I bought the book he wrote.

In it, he said most players really didn't want to play in the all star game. If you weren't picked for the game, you got a nice 3 day weekend off work.

Sad to learn that Bill Freehan - a member of the 1968 Detroit Tigers World Series championship team - has died.

I was too young to remember that victory, and never met the man, but my dad did. I'm not sure how exactly it transpired, but my dad took Freehan and fellow '68 Tigers alum Jim Northrup on a fishing trip. Not long after, he came home with a baseball that was covered in autographs. According to my father, Freehan wanted to repay him for a successful adventure, and asked "do your sons like baseball?" He went down to Tiger Stadium, and had the entire team sign a ball for us. Mind you, this was in 1976, before autographed baseballs became a hot commodity. The stand out signatures were from legendary manager Ralph Houk, and this young rookie named Mark Fidrych...who went on to have an epic season with the Tigers.

A few years ago I was doing a recording session with Bob Uecker, and talked to him about Freehan and the '68 Tigers. He knew all those guys.

Signatures from every player on the Tigers? I'd imagine scrubbed clean to make the ball worth more. :D

Signatures from every player on the Tigers? I'd imagine scrubbed clean to make the ball worth more. :D

You're a bad person. :mad:

:D

I grew up in Detroit. Your jokes about perennially losing sports teams don't hurt me. We know. We all know.

Ohtani even steals home.

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/Jack_A_Harris/status/1432909071762399232?s=20[/TWEET]

Too bad they have such miserable pitching, the Angels may waste another singular talent. I did see that in the draft, they selected nothing but pitchers, so at least they're trying something.

In 1968 I was living in St. Louis. I remember that World Series well. Denny McClain was a 30 game winner for the Tigers. Mickey Lolich was their lefthanded star starter. Al Kaline and Norm Cash were their star hitters.
The Cardinals had won the previous W.S. Bob Gibson was their star starter, he had an era of 1.12 in 1968 - he was almost unhittable. The Cards had Curt Flood, Lou Brock and Orlando Cepeda. Yet the Tigers pulled out a 4-3 Series win.

Too bad they have such miserable pitching, the Angels may waste another singular talent. I did see that in the draft, they selected nothing but pitchers, so at least they're trying something.

Pitching has been brutal, badly beaten up by SD last night, walked in three runs. One of the runs scored after pitcher threw FIVE straight balls but umpire gave the pitcher a very generous strike call on ball four. Hard to watch. But after being 8-0 down the Angels came back to make things interesting. SD have faded badly lately.

Dodgers and Giants have been in an epic division race all season long.

nl west 2021 09 30.JPG

Both 100-win teams, and they've been within a couple of games of each other most of the time. Dodgers were in first in much of April, but dropped behind by May and were never in first again until briefly at the beginning of this month. Padres got a sniff at the race early, leading in mid May, but took a dive beginning in June, now over 20 games back. The Giants have led most of the way by far, but mostly no more than by 2. They simply refuse to lose and fall behind. No matter that the Dodgers made perhaps their best trade in their history (pending the outcome of the season and the careers of the traded minor leaguers), acquiring Max Sherzer and Trea Turner at the beginning of August, with the two of them having arguably been their best players since then. Dodgers do have an obscene payroll and have deepity depth, but they needed it, having lost significant playing days of several top players due to injury, and lost one starting pitcher due to off the field numbnuttery (at best).

Giants are 2 games up today with 4 to go, so should win it, but if they don't, the Dodgers can thank these recency-biased late inning at bats from last night.

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/Dodgers/status/1443467696511676416?s=20[/TWEET]

Giants have had their injuries too and did just lose maybe their best hitter Belt for this last week.

On the other hand, Dodgers have a key player knucklehead like this one who is worry for other reasons.

treinin ig.jpg\

The second place team gets to join the exclusive club of 100 win second place finishers, as well as the honor of playing the red hot Cardinals for a one game playoff.

Fantastic game at Chavez Ravine last night. Sherzer had an off night but an what an eight inning that was. Incredibly, Cody Bellinger came off the IL and scored a home run. Before going on the IL he was batting <200. I reckon the haircut had something to do with it.

And Ohtani still produces magic, two triples in one game. That lad can motor.

Buehler likewise was on a roll, then had a couple bad outings. But he's bounced back. The Cy Young should be interesting this year.

Urias is another who had a recent bad game. They haven't been able to rest anybody much because of the tight race. Kershaw is a big question mark coming off the injured list.

They played Bellinger more than he really earned this year, but he said he's feeling good now so we shall see.

Really been impressed with Scherzer though. I mostly just pay attention to the Dodgers, so I don't know how how good other players are. Didn't know how good Bettis was till he got there. Now consider him their best player even if others have better stats.

Oh, one team I was following this year was the Angels just to see Ohtani at bats. With those triples, he is officially Mays like now.

[Tweet]https://twitter.com/Angels/status/1441938240315953154?s=20[/tweet]

Another home run derby at Chavez Ravine last night. Tatis hit one onto the roof of the outfield pavilion. The last time I saw something like that was Giancarlo Stanton a few years ago. Giants managed a late win to keep the Dodgers two games back, ugh.

Down to the last game. Buehler for LA against Anderson. Padres with a rookie against Webb. Dodgers will be doing it the hard way if they're to keep their division streak alive.

Seattle soo close! Could still happen.

Bad luck for your team that the Angels chose this weekend to pitch okay.

But they're still in it. 4 teams are, there could be a 4 way tie! Would love that.

Dang, Trea Turner is on fire. Dodgers will face the Cardinals on Wednesday for a one and done wild card game. I fancy our chances.

On August 1, LA was 3 games behind. Since then, they went 63-43 or 0.768 and still couldn't finish ahead of SF who went 65-39 or 0.724.

It will be painful to lose the one gamer, but at least they get that chance, compared to the pre-wild card days.

Tight, intense NL wild card game. So many 3-2 counts, plenty of clutch fielding by St. Louis, a couple of steals on Molina. Scherzer struggled but got outs he needed, still had to come out way earlier than ideal. Wainwright much better, but maybe pulled too early. Could have had a different ninth setup maybe.

Scherzer continues to impress with his near psychotic intensity. Never seen somebody so wound up on the bench. He paces around like a future workplace shooter.

And he goes drunk and shirtless for his live interview. Red flag or just a lol?

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKAJzWs5uKE[/YOUTUBE]

That was not a fun game to watch, kinda boring up until the closing stages. Bellinger is useless at the plate and has been for some time. Pretty funny to see Dodger stadium quite sparse at the start and the commentator said something about getting anywhere in LA at 5:00pm is a nightmare never mind a playoff game at Chavez Ravine. But later it was a full house. And the only folks in masks were the catchers, ump and a few worry warts.

Back
Top Bottom