• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Man Seeks Restraining Order Against God

TSwizzle

Let's Go Brandon!
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
An Israeli man has petitioned for a restraining order against God, claiming the almighty has been particularly unkind to him over the years and that the police are unable to do anything. The man, named by Israeli news site NRG as David Shoshan, represented himself at a court hearing in Haifa, a port city in the north of Israel. The report noted that God was not present to defend himself. The request for a restraining order was denied by the presiding Judge Ahsan Canaan, who said the request was “delusional” and that the petitioner required help from sources outside of the court.

God could not be contacted for comment.

Independent

"God could not be contacted for comment", that cracks me up. :D

An Israeli man has petitioned for a restraining order against God, claiming the almighty has been particularly unkind to him over the years and that the police are unable to do anything. The man, named by Israeli news site NRG as David Shoshan, represented himself at a court hearing in Haifa, a port city in the north of Israel. The report noted that God was not present to defend himself. The request for a restraining order was denied by the presiding Judge Ahsan Canaan, who said the request was “delusional” and that the petitioner required help from sources outside of the court.

Independent

"God could not be contacted for comment", that cracks me up. :D

That's disappointing. Seems that with some people, God never shuts up. He could have taken a few minutes to answer questions.

The request for a restraining order was denied by the presiding Judge Ahsan Canaan, who said the request was “delusional” and that the petitioner required help from sources outside of the court.

Is this a sign that the court system is finally acknowledging that acting as if there is a god is a sign of delusional behavior?

:consternation1:

Is this a sign that the court system is finally acknowledging that acting as if there is a god is a sign of delusional behavior?
No, it's simply the court acknowledging that representing yourself in court is a sign of mental troubles.

:D

Interesting attempt. I wonder if I could file a suit against churches that claim to be the representatives of god for invasion of privacy since they claim that god is always watching me. No use suing god since he wouldn't show up and would be impossible to collect from but his institutions as his agents should be accountable for his actions.

:D

Interesting attempt. I wonder if I could file a suit against churches that claim to be the representatives of god for invasion of privacy since they claim that god is always watching me. No use suing god since he wouldn't show up and would be impossible to collect from but his institutions as his agents should be accountable for his actions.

Can you evidence any harm caused by the superstitious claim that their particular god is watching you? (You would probably have to actually believe such claim.) How could you differentiate it from harm done by claims that other gods are watching you? (Not to mention Santa Claus, whose snooping practices are widely accepted across sectarian lines.)
You might have better luck claiming that those cookies ("hosts") aggravated your Celiac disease... if the church in question partakes in that particular silly ritual.

Independent

This got me smiling. I love when courts rather inadvertently call out theists as squirrelly when they consider such things as hearing god, talking to god, trying to sue god as delusional, yet find the notion of a "personal relationship" with whatever deity to be sacrosanct and full of meaning. Definitely worth the chuckle.

Back
Top Bottom