• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Masturbation! Guilt and Religion!

Well, just look at any conventional photo of Queen Victoria. This woman was not a player. She didn't retire to her bedchamber, murmuring to the maid, "What I need's a good stiff cock!" By contrast, a century before, Catherine the Great -- a world-class royal with a flaming reputation. 22 lovers and she once (allegedly) tried to fuck a stallion.

Since this thread is dying out or going off the rails a bit, I'd like to add, possibly end it with a tribute to the late Betty Dodson. I had only heard about this woman once and didn't know about her masturbation groups, but I think she did a lot for women by promoting female masturbation as a very normal, satisfying experience. Too bad, some religions don't realize the benefits of this healthy, behavior. I do think it's surprising that some women needed instruction, but apparently many did or Betty Dodson would never have had the career that she did. :)

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/03/style/betty-dodson-dead.html

Ms. Dodson was a second-wave feminist making erotic art when she began hosting consciousness raising groups — but with a twist — in her Manhattan apartment. The method involved a genital show and tell, so that women could see that vulvas came in all shapes, sizes and colors; this was followed by clitoral attention with a vibrator. As she refined her teaching, she realized that she had found her calling.

“This masturbation business,” as she liked to say, was a kind of social justice work. If women could learn to pleasure themselves properly, she reasoned, they could end their sexual dependence on men, which would make everybody happy.

“The most consistent sex will be the love affair you have with yourself,” she wrote in “Sex for One” a quasi memoir and how-to guide that began as a short primer in Ms. Magazine and that has been translated into 25 languages since Random House first published it in 1987. “Masturbation will get you through childhood, puberty, romance, marriage and divorce, and it will see you through old age.”

I think it's very sad that so many religious groups harshly judge such a healthy innocent practice, often leaving the victims of their harsh indoctrination, suffering from guilt or worse.

The implication for freethinking parents is, I think, simple. Wait for a suitable age (say, north of 6th grade), pick a calm moment in the day, and tell your kid that you want to clear up the Matter of the Two Roads. Draw an imaginary line in your living room. Point to one side: "Here you have the bounty of religion and the blessings of a personal relationship with God and His son, Jesus Christ. And here..." (pointing to other side)..."You have unlimited, guilt-free masturbation privileges. You decide. I'll be on the porch reading." (Leave room.)

Masturbation leads to promiscuity, a slippery slope to damnation.

It s best to be a celebate sexless priest or nun.

Back
Top Bottom