• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

'Merica: YOU ARE SO GAY!

Actually, marriage and merely laying with someone and getting stoned are two different things. The reason behind the gay marriage is because of the significance our society has placed in marriage in the first place. Benefits and all sorts of goodies are tied to marriage. I know a number of gay people who still are not interested in marriage. Marriage is its own thing. It is only fair that gay people with an inclination to marry each other should also be allowed to do so. I still think it would be better to individualize all benefits so marriage would not be so damned necessary in so many situations.

Marriage is two things....a social convention, and an agreement that is subject to all the semantic foibles of language. It is not a cosmic thing. It serves earthly purposes and sometimes it doesn't serve purposes too well. When you strip away the alleged metaphysical or cosmic aspect of marriage, it becomes an different sort of institution a lot more pragmatic whether you are gay or straight.

I know a number of gay people who still are not interested in marriage.

Well, tough shit for them. If Obama is going to force straight men to marry other dudes, you can't just arbitrarily exempt gay men from having to do the same thing. You advocating reverse discrimination here. :mad:

I know a number of gay people who still are not interested in marriage.

Well, tough shit for them. If Obama is going to force straight men to marry other dudes, you can't just arbitrarily exempt gay men from having to do the same thing. You advocating reverse discrimination here. :mad:

You missed the entire point of the post. It was a discussion of the nature or marriage and how when you strip away the cosmic and religious aspects of it , it becomes simply an agreement between two people. You apparently seem to think that fact is not a fact and that anybody who doesn't marry is deprived or perhaps depraved. I pointed out at the very start of the post that I have no problem whatever with letting gay people marry. I also mentioned that I know a number of gay men who have absolutely no interest in getting married. I am not advocating anything here except perhaps a little more realistic assessment of marriage itself.

You missed the entire point of the post. It was a discussion of the nature or marriage and how when you strip away the cosmic and religious aspects of it , it becomes simply an agreement between two people. You apparently seem to think that fact is not a fact and that anybody who doesn't marry is deprived or perhaps depraved. I pointed out at the very start of the post that I have no problem whatever with letting gay people marry. I also mentioned that I know a number of gay men who have absolutely no interest in getting married. I am not advocating anything here except perhaps a little more realistic assessment of marriage itself.

Really? That response started with "You missed the entire point of the post" is a completely non-ironic manner?

Guys...guys! You're undoing all the important groundwork!!!

Back
Top Bottom