• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Metaphysics is a self delusional anadyne

UM says

It is a phenomena that arises due to the activity of an organ.

I am sure he means a phenomenon , the a marking a singular phenomenon.

Apologies for more moustaches on what? Your Sistine Chapel ceiling?

QUESTION 3: How do you know, or what scientific process leads you to believe, that a Brain does not understand Ideas and Creations ?

The brain works with cells and with chemicals and has blood constantly moving.

It does not work with ideas. It cannot. It can't know anything.

Something created by a brain could.

Unter ...

Can you see that I ask a specific question: How do you know, or what scientific process leads you to believe, that a Brain does not understand Ideas and Creations ?

And you don't answer? You just tell me what you believe to be correct.

These are just statements you provide as hearsay.

The Brain works with cells and chemicals.
It does not work with ideas. It cannot.
It can't know anything.
Something created by a brain could

Not one of them is an answer to the question?

What evidence do you have that convinced you that a Brain does not understand ideas? Think about this carefully.

According to Natural Selection there is a need for all successful mutations.

That's just bad metaphysics. Selection doesn't care about anything. Nothing is "selected for".
EB

Look ... surely it goes without saying that Natural Selection is blind and has no prevision. For a mutation or trait to survive it must be fit for the environment it faces. I know this, you know this. So why the phuck pull me up on every sentence that isn't spelt out exactly.

Mate, you got nothing further to tell me. So you stay rooted in your philosophies, no problem at all. For you they're your lodestone, your rubber comforter, for me they are non-definitive platitudes and generalisations. But whatever suits your IQ as comprehensive and complete is fine by me.

We have no more to discuss, nothing. So move on Dude, move on. There is no point in wasting your intelligence and valuable time in conversing with me, a monkey. And I don't need the grief of being purposefully misunderstood continually in order for you to feel that you have put down a potentially dangerous and heretical uprising, to justify your position, to save philosophy from fools and monkeys.

Turns out, I didn't need to wait for your second post to understand enough of you.

There, what could be better. You've said it, now stick to it, move on.

We are by nature stubbornly pledged to defend our own from attack, whether it be our person, our family, our property, or our opinion.

A history of philosophy and theology could be written in terms of grouches, wounded pride, and aversions, and it would be far more instructive than the usual treatments of these themes

I don't want to discuss your personal problems with my views. You've had your say. OK? Find yourself another thread to Kant-Rant into. Do you get it pretty boy?

So bye bye, best kisses and wishes ... don't cry for me ...

4292.gif

Unter ...

Can you see that I ask a specific question: How do you know, or what scientific process leads you to believe, that a Brain does not understand Ideas and Creations ?

Minds understand things.

It is just some personification to imagine brains or rocks do too.

There is absolutely no reason to believe a brain understands anything.

Brains just do as they have been "programmed".

It takes a mind to understand anything.

Look ... surely it goes without saying that Natural Selection is blind and has no prevision. For a mutation or trait to survive it must be fit for the environment it faces. I know this, you know this. So why the phuck pull me up on every sentence that isn't spelt out exactly.

Mate, you got nothing further to tell me. So you stay rooted in your philosophies, no problem at all. For you they're your lodestone, your rubber comforter, for me they are non-definitive platitudes and generalisations. But whatever suits your IQ as comprehensive and complete is fine by me.

We have no more to discuss, nothing. So move on Dude, move on. There is no point in wasting your intelligence and valuable time in conversing with me, a monkey. And I don't need the grief of being purposefully misunderstood continually in order for you to feel that you have put down a potentially dangerous and heretical uprising, to justify your position, to save philosophy from fools and monkeys.

Turns out, I didn't need to wait for your second post to understand enough of you.

There, what could be better. You've said it, now stick to it, move on.

We are by nature stubbornly pledged to defend our own from attack, whether it be our person, our family, our property, or our opinion.

A history of philosophy and theology could be written in terms of grouches, wounded pride, and aversions, and it would be far more instructive than the usual treatments of these themes

I don't want to discuss your personal problems with my views. You've had your say. OK? Find yourself another thread to Kant-Rant into. Do you get it pretty boy?

So bye bye, best kisses and wishes ... don't cry for me ...

4292.gif

It's not like that. I couldn't care less about you as a person. I'm quite sure we would get on very well but that's not the point. This place is a FORUM. Get it? What matters is what you say, not your little person, about which nobody cares. And you can say whatever you like, within the rules, but then don't come complaining other people comment on how stupid what you said. And I'm like that. When I see something stupid, I can't stop commenting on it, and usually, I'll be a bit rude about it. The only solution you might try, is stop saying stupid things. I'm sure you're a nice bloke, but what matters is what you say. And you shouldn't take it personally. That's also a bit naff.
EB

Unter ...

Minds understand things.

That's all metaphysics and of the worst sort. Half-cooked and not smelling good. You keep coming up with your trivial beliefs your mistake for knowledge. And you can't explain yourself rationally so nobody could possibly take you seriously, as has been made abundantly clear on this forum for years and years. Seems you like it this way. Just going nowhere and happy it should be so.
EB

There is nothing rational about that rant.

No reason to try to dispute anything since nothing was said.

There is nothing rational about that rant.

No reason to try to dispute anything since nothing was said.

Oh sure there was. It would take an honest mind to see it, though.
EB

Unter ...

Minds understand things.

Grendel is right. Your ideas are just trivial beliefs not even based on any evidence. It is therefore ironic as these irrational beliefs can only come from your brain, an unconscious part of your brain, so no even from your mind. You're just repeating the irrational ideas of your unconscious brain without even understanding them.
EB

This is not trivial.

It is amazing that people can do something with their minds to move their limbs their whole life and somehow think it is a trivial phenomena.

This is not trivial.

It is amazing that people can do something with their minds to move their limbs their whole life and somehow think it is a trivial phenomena.

You're beliefs are trivial and not even based on evidence. Just bad metaphysics.
EB

Your fourth rate opinion is noted.

It is a worthless mind that does not wonder what is happening in the mind when it orders the arm to move.

It is an even more worthless mind that doesn't even know they are doing it.

It is a worthless mind that does not wonder what is happening in the mind when it orders the arm to move.

That, too, is just trivial beliefs not even based on evidence. Same bad metaphysics.

I guess the demonstration has been made that you can't articulate any rational justification for any of your trivial beliefs. You seem to accept this since you don't even try, content to repeat your trivia ad nauseam.
EB

That, too, is just trivial beliefs not even based on evidence. Same bad metaphysics.

I guess the demonstration has been made that you can't articulate any rational justification for any of your trivial beliefs. You seem to accept this since you don't even try, content to repeat your trivia ad nauseam.
EB

You are just mindlessly babbling and addressing nothing.

What a pathetic thing.

This is all so far beyond you.

All you are doing is making objective declarations subjectively derived from empirical evidence that your own ontology insists is nothing more than an unreliable brain's stories. It is "beyond" no one.

Now prove yourself an intellectual poseur once again by regurgitating your deliberately misconstrued strawman about the heat and the heater.

Last edited:
All you are doing is making objective declarations subjectively derived from empirical evidence that your own ontology insists is nothing more than an unreliable brain's stories. It is "beyond" no one.

Now prove yourself an intellectual poseur once again by regurgitating your strawman about the heat and the heater.

My ontology does not say the mind is dealing with brain stories.

It is dealing with ideas.

Able to move ideas around.

At will.

An idea is separate from a brain and something that stands on it's own.

Something accessible to all minds.

Something that can be transmitted mind to mind.

A mind is capable of understanding them.

And unless there is some some proof to the contrary that is the only thing capable.

I think this part needs more work, given the scope of things which can't be willed, even if it seems they are possible in principle.

All things pertaining to organic life have limits.

So is it with the human will.

The will that just constructed these sentences and not other sentences.

The will that commanded the hands to type out specific words, not other words.

Words of my choosing.

I can see them and know "I" agree with them.

Now prove yourself an intellectual poseur once again by regurgitating your strawman about the heat and the heater.

My ontology does not say the mind is dealing with brain stories.

You have repeatedly asserted that the brain either "translates" or "generates" (you flip flop between the two as it suits you) the "experiences" for the "mind" to experience. Now that your Descartes drivel has been decimated, you are trying to shift the goal posts.

An idea is separate from a brain and something that stands on it's own.

An "Idea" (noun) is; but particular ideas are generated by a brain and therefore categorically do not stand on their own. They are entirely dependent upon the brain to generate them and maintain them.

And unless there is some some proof to the contrary that is the only thing capable.

You have never provided proof in accordance, merely objective declarations subjectively derived from empirical evidence that your own ontology insists is nothing more than an unreliable brain's stories. As to proof to the contrary that the "mind" is the only "thing" capable, the brain generates the "mind" AND the "experiences"--and, now, "ideas"--for the "mind," remember? That necessarily means it must also be capable of understanding what it is that it's "translating" and why it is "translating" and generating a "mind" to begin with in order to imbue it with all of this information.

Once again, you are merely redefining brain to be "mind" based entirely on empirical evidence generated by your brain; the subjective declaring it is objective, based on a subjective interpretation of the belief in Objectivity, maintained and imbued by the brain.

You have repeatedly asserted that the brain either "translates" or "generates" (you flip flop between the two as it suits you)

More ignorance that is supposed to be an argument.

The only way to experience a color is to have something that is not a color translated into a color.

The only way to have pain is to have something that is not pain translated into the experience of pain.

And the activity that creates the mind must be generated somehow.

Most likely the brain is generating it.

Now that your Descartes drivel has been decimated

Absolute delusion.

You do not even understand the position no less has anything been shattered.

Descartes has not been overturned. "I think therefore I am" is still true. You have not overturned it in any way.

An "Idea" (noun) is; but particular ideas are generated by a brain and therefore categorically do not stand on their own.

The mind placed the idea into memory.

We call it "studying". For some it is easy, for others it takes a lot of active work by the mind.

The brain merely retrieves something placed into memory by the mind.

The idea is not generated by a brain. It is generated by something that is a product of brain activity.

Once again you have no point.

They are entirely dependent upon the brain to generate them and maintain them.

Totally meaningless.

The mind needs to be generated to do the things it does.

This is a given.

Back
Top Bottom