• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Microsoft to replace Edge rendering engine with Chromium

Underseer

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheism, resistentialism
https://www.computerworld.com/artic...crosoft-raises-white-flag-in-browser-war.html

[YOUTUBE]yesVe_MZ0eQ[/YOUTUBE]

Ever since MS Edge came out, there actually are times when I use it. Specifically, if I get a problem with a page behaving badly on Chrome, it's time to pull out MS Edge. If they change Edge to use Chromium, then that kind of takes away my reason to use Edge at all. I'll go from using Edge infrequently to using it never.

Anyway, does anyone here care about what Edge uses under the hood? I imagine this will make things easier for web developers.

That's interesting -- M$ willing to make such a great sacrifice. Reminds me of Apple using NeXT's OS after it completely failed to create a good successor for MacOS Classic. Also of Apple using Intel-x86 CPU chips, throwing in the towel about PowerPC chips.

I like that playing of "Taps" for M$ Edge. Reminds me of this:
[youtube]G1SLCAiGkVQ[/youtube]
Steve Jobs having a funeral for MacOS 9, the last version of MacOS Classic. IMO, he should have given a nod to its forebears, all the way back to the original Macintosh back in 1984.

Anyway, does anyone here care about what Edge uses under the hood? I imagine this will make things easier for web developers.

Anything that improves a browser's HTML5 and CSS3 compliance is a boon. Fewer fallbacks, less testing.

Anything that improves a browser's HTML5 and CSS3 compliance is a boon. Fewer fallbacks, less testing.

That's what I thought too, but I kinda was starting to like Edge specifically because it used a different rendering engine. If I had performance trouble on a given page, I knew I could clear it up by using Edge instead.

Does Mozilla use Chromium? If not, I'll go back to using that as my alternate browser when something goes goofy with Chrome.

Does Mozilla use Chromium? If not, I'll go back to using that as my alternate browser when something goes goofy with Chrome.
Not at all. It's a completely separate project. Another separate one is Apple's Safari -- it uses an offshoot of KHTML.

Not at all. It's a completely separate project. Another separate one is Apple's Safari -- it uses an offshoot of KHTML.

Oh, good. Then I can go back to using Firefox as my primary alternate browser. Honestly, Chrome has been getting a lot of performance hiccups on YouTube for some reason.

Back
Top Bottom