• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Midterms 2022

The Republicans are laying their cards on the table and many people are not liking what they see. Tax the poor, removal of privacy rights and women's bodily autonomy, refusal to enact common sense gun reform while children are being mowed down in their classrooms, refusal to allow anti-inflation legislation, sunsetting Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid. Numerous other unpopular issues the Reps are standing for.

I don't think this is going to be the bloodbath that usually occurs during the midterms.

The Republicans are laying their cards on the table and many people are not liking what they see. Tax the poor, removal of privacy rights and women's bodily autonomy, refusal to enact common sense gun reform while children are being mowed down in their classrooms, refusal to allow anti-inflation legislation, sunsetting Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid. Numerous other unpopular issues the Reps are standing for.

I don't think this is going to be the bloodbath that usually occurs during the midterms.
I hope that you are right. But it just seems to me that people aren't that interested in privacy rights, women's bodily autonomy, the environment, and increasing the safety net. These issues just don't seem to float the boat today. I think that we're going to get creamed in November, and Trump will take over in 2024. Hope that I'm wrong.

Prediction markets show the QOP as about 80% to get Senate control in the 2022 elections, and 90% to get House control. The QOP is also favored to take the White House in 2024, but that's closer to a toss-up. (I don't think Nate Silver's famous site has made predictions yet.)

All sane good-spirited Americans hope these predictions are wrong. But prediction markets have a good track record.

The out of power party usually does well in midterms though.
Do you really need an Australian to explain to you the weird fucking shit that has been going on in American politics the last few fucking years? Or are you going to be obtuse and do the "both sides" argument?

Do you really need an Australian to explain to you the weird fucking shit that has been going on in American politics the last few fucking years? Or are you going to be obtuse and do the "both sides" argument?
WTF?

I didn't make any sort of "both sides" argument. It is the trend for several decades that the in power party tends to do poorly in the midterms, and the out of power party tends to do better in the midterms.

Do you have anything else to say besides accusing me of making a "both sides" argument?

WTF?

I didn't make any sort of "both sides" argument. It is the trend for several decades that the in power party tends to do poorly in the midterms, and the out of power party tends to do better in the midterms.
With Roe v Wade apparently getting skewered, I think the mid-terms are going to be asterisking the typical trend, at least as far as turnout is concerned.

The original thought was maybe SCOTUS would slow step the repeal, to provide electoral cover. But with the significantly high potential for full repeal 5 months before the mid-terms, that would really change the generalized voter base for the mid-terms, making them completely unpredictable. Generally higher turnout favors the Dems. It is still a mid-term though and Democrats when in power don't do too well in them, but Roe v Wade is dropping tanks of blood in to the water full of sharks.

I hope that you are right. But it just seems to me that people aren't that interested in privacy rights, women's bodily autonomy, the environment, and increasing the safety net. These issues just don't seem to float the boat today. I think that we're going to get creamed in November, and Trump will take over in 2024. Hope that I'm wrong.
Empires have fallen for dumber reasons.

Empires have fallen for dumber reasons.
The DA in San Francisco was recalled when crime hadn't soared. ACORN was punished and dissolved over manufactured accusations. Several states tightened voting laws for fraud that never occurred.

It is depressing how things can change because of things that never actually happened.

Santa is running for Congress!
Carpetbagger. His home district is a good bit further north.

OMG!

I'm not optimist about the midterms. I've spoken to many lukewarm Democrats who claim they won't bother to vote. My husband had a conversation with our very nice neighbor who apparently votes Republican, at least some of the time. He had no understanding of the concept of supply and demand or that a president can't easily fight inflation or control the price of a global commodity. He told my husband that gas was lower under Trump and his stocks did better prior to Biden.

Then, a friend of mine stopped by and told me that a young trans female that knows her son, said some terrible things about Biden. My friend asked her if she thought things would be better if the Republicans were controlling everything at the national level. I don't think she had given it any thought. Will she vote or just stay at home and complain?

That's the problem, as I see it. Most of us who post here follow politics closely and understand the limits of the influence of a president when it comes to many things. Plus, we have people on the edges of right and left who aren't usually interested in compromise. Most people have little understanding of how government works or is supposed to work. They don't follow foreign policy or understand its influences on the rest of the world, etc. etc. My point is that I think a combination of voter apathy and ignorance will give the Republicans an advantage this fall. Unfortunately, the Democrats are good at destroying their own as well. I hope I'm wrong, but that's how it looks to me right now. We still have time to change things, but at the very least, Dems need to somehow inspire those who are apathetic to vote.

When someone like MTG wins her primary with 70% of the vote, it's time to be concerned. I know her district isn't typical, but from what I've been reading this week, it appears that there are many far right extremists in a many parts of the country, that might make it difficult for moderates from either party to win this fall.

Bill Maher takes a look at the typical American voter, and the type of political campaign ads we will be seeing. It should be good for laughs, but tears would be more appropriate.

History books will point to 2021-2022 as the brief period when American democracy MIGHT have been saved with a tiny bit of patriotism or just integrity from Manchin and Sinema on one side of the aisle, or from Romney and Murkowski on the other side — but giving up their private jets was never an option for these scumbags. The coming military and economic crises will just be frenzied percussion overlaid on a symphony of anguish that is already in its fourth movement.

OMG!
I assume the average Republican voter just figures she'll quit after a few months.

Bill Maher takes a look at the typical American voter, and the type of political campaign ads we will be seeing. It should be good for laughs, but tears would be more appropriate.

History books will point to 2021-2022 as the brief period when American democracy MIGHT have been saved with a tiny bit of patriotism or just integrity from Manchin and Sinema on one side of the aisle, or from Romney and Murkowski on the other side — but giving up their private jets was never an option for these scumbags. The coming military and economic crises will just be frenzied percussion overlaid on a symphony of anguish that is already in its fourth movement.
Manchin and Sinema vote for the judges. Enough blaming them for all the ills of our country!

Back
Top Bottom