• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Minimum Rage: The remix

I'd like to see figures in relation to the remark ''Profit margins are usually pretty low''

How low are the profit margins for an average business?
What is the expenditure of an average business in wages?
What ratios are we looking at?

In my industry the recent recession has crashed profit margins down to a mere 35% or so.

In another industry I've been looking at, Steelmaking, the profit margins are much higher but the capital expenditure is out of control. A steel plant I was looking at is a market leader in several areas, but will need to replace their BOS plant soon, a mere snip at £500million.

In a corner store I looked at, profit was largely non-existent, because the purpose of the family firm was not to make a profit at all, but to employ as many family members as possible.

Where are you finding such high profit margins?

To support the proposition that wages, minimum rates, etc, are too high shouldn't the stats on corporate and business profits be provided as a matter of course? Including direct Labor Cost Per Unit.

If you like, you can probably find the stats here. But they may not support your case.

Oh, NOES!!1!!

If you force employers to pay reasonable wages, some people might not have jobs at all!!!ONE!!

Here's a question: So fucking what?

1477771_735275843167923_914902831_n.jpg

Seriously - if there are not enough jobs for everyone to have one, why the fuck does it matter?

Where is the commandment from a confirmed, bona fide God that says 'Thou must work or thou doest not eat'?

Why do we need to treat unemployed people like shit; give them barely enough to survive, and make even that pittance dependant on them taking any shitty job they are offered?

There are now the means, in the developed world, to support all of those who would choose not to work if it were comfortable (but not luxurious) to do so.

Oh, NOES!!1!!

If you force employers to pay reasonable wages, some people might not have jobs at all!!!ONE!!

Here's a question: So fucking what?

1477771_735275843167923_914902831_n.jpg

Seriously - if there are not enough jobs for everyone to have one, why the fuck does it matter?

Where is the commandment from a confirmed, bona fide God that says 'Thou must work or thou doest not eat'?

Why do we need to treat unemployed people like shit; give them barely enough to survive, and make even that pittance dependant on them taking any shitty job they are offered?

There are now the means, in the developed world, to support all of those who would choose not to work if it were comfortable (but not luxurious) to do so.

All good points. And I agree that with ever increasing use of computerized systems, jobs that were once an option for many to earn a living are going to disappear for good...but there are those who counter the idea of a social wage with the question: where is the money to come from? The money from to finance a large portion of the population who do not work and are not being paid to stay at home (or go to school) through the normal activity of a business driven economy?

No, "free choice" in the market does not mean freedom to kill your customer, and other such nonsense.

Togo

Consider two bakeries. The first is the price-efficient bakery. It produces the most popular type of bread at the very lowest price it can. Its staff aren't very well trained - they don't know much about bread because they don't need to, and they're often tired and sick. They work while sick, unless they literally can't stand, because they're on a zero-hours contract and only get paid for the hours they work.

The second is an actual bakery. There you'll see a vast array of different types of bread, at an impressive variation of prices. What we're seeing is a business producing a range of products that compete with each other. The staff are alert, helpful, and well-motivated. Obviously all this costs, and the most popular types of bread are 10% more expensive than at the efficiency store.

Why do you suppose that the second type of bakery is more common, attracts more business, and makes more money? Could it be customers select on something other than price?

In both cases it is supply-and-demand alone which is setting the prices. You haven't named any factor at work that is not a part of the supply-and-demand factors setting the prices of the bread in each case.

In that case there is a basic logical flaw in your argument.

You previously argued that because the market worked by supply and demand, wages should always fall to the lowest level necessary to produce the product. But here you are arguing that supply and demand does not always reduce prices to the lowest level. So which is it?

Wages (and all other costs) should always fall to the lowest level necessary to produce the product. I.e., the same quality product.

Given the same quality, the LOWEST price is always the right one. Supply-and-demand always reduces the price to the lowest level to produce that same product, i.e., product of the same quality.

It also INCREASES the quality of the product to the highest level at the same price. Given the same price, supply-and-demand always increases the quality to the highest level possible at that same given price level.

Yes, you can try and claim that everything that ever effects the market is somehow an aspect of supply and demand, but then you can't go on to to claim anything based on that. All you've done is re-labelled 'everything' as supply and demand, so a claim based on that is meaningless.

If I said "everything in the universe is supply-and-demand" then yes, such a claim would be meaningless, just as the claim of Thales that "everything is water" was meaningless. And I should be taken out and shot for saying such a thing.

I don't remember saying that, but I'll take your word for it that I did and I will do penance for it and go dip myself in the River Jordan to purify me of such a sin.

But meanwhile, in your example of the two bakeries, the reason the one bakery did better is that it performed better at meeting the consumer demand, which means it had the power to raise its price. That follows the principle of "supply-and-demand," i.e., higher demand = higher value/price, because more customers patronized that bakery and thus pushed up its prices.

Or you can keep to a narrow definition of supply and demand, in which case it becomes valid to make claims based off it, but the argument still fails, this time on the facts, because prices aren't, in practice, based on supply and demand.

In practice prices are generally based on supply and demand. You haven't given an example where they're not.

Perhaps there is a rare example where they're not. But you haven't given one. In general, the price of something goes up if the demand for it goes up or the supply of it goes down. Or its price goes down if the demand for it goes down or the supply of it goes up.

Name a case where this is not so.

Our main issue here is why this should not be the case for wages. Why shouldn't the price for labor go down if the supply-demand value of that labor goes down? Why shouldn't it go down as far as necessary, even to $1 per hour or less, if its value goes down that much? This is the question you are not answering.

Either your claim is meaningless, or it's wrong.

Again, yes any claim I made that "everything in the universe is supply-and-demand" is meaningless. That's not my claim now, even if I did mistakenly say that before. What I'm saying is that prices in the market are generally set by supply-and-demand. A loaf of bread, a TV, a box of Cackerjax, etc. The government does not interfere to prevent these prices from going down if the value goes down. There is no minimum price law for anything other than for labor.

I don't absolutely exclude the possibility that there might be something, in a rare case, where supply-and-demand is over-ruled by the government or other force. But it's not the norm -- generally the prices are set by supply-and-demand. Give an example where they are not.

You might give an example where supply-and-demand partly rules, but some other force comes into play also. If it's something like a tobacco tax, I think that should be set aside as something similar to "externalities" where a harmful effect on society leads to a "sin" tax or other penalty to compensate for the damage to people other than the buyers and sellers.

Such a modification to "supply-and-demand" does not change the fact that supply-and-demand is the general rule and generally sets all the prices.

What else is taken into account for setting prices than the principle of supply-and-demand?

Well, just off the top of my head, brand, firm image, market segmentation, lifestyle affiliation, Ease of acquisition/ease of use, additional features, associative buying, variety/standardisation, regulatory factors, tax implications, familiarity, market sentiment, and so on.

Every one of those is a part of supply-and-demand.

Great, so a regulation setting a minimum wage is supply and demand?

No, none of the items mentioned above is a setting of a price on anything. In none of those is government mandating that a particular price or minimum price be set on anything.

The points listed above are factors which might impact on the supply-and-demand factors, but none of them is mandating a particular price. They're still letting supply-and-demand set the price, but might be adding an element which shifts the supply-and-demand price up or down. They are not an attempt to overrule the supply-and-demand price as minimum wage does.

Again, there's nothing stopping you calling everything that affects price as supply and demand, simply because it affects price. But that's a circular argument.

Maybe you're right that there is something affecting price that is not part of supply-and-demand. I'd say it must be very rare. It's not the norm. It's not how the prices are set for a loaf of bread or a TV and so on.

I've made the allowance for government rules that shift prices usually upward, some for legitimate reasons and others maybe not. Just because the state does something that has this impact on some prices does not change the basic fact that prices are set basically by supply-and-demand. Such regulations may be considered as part of the whole process of supply, by increasing the cost of production.

So give us an example of something affecting the prices, other than government regulations, some of which are good and others not, and most of which are well-intended. A regulation mandating a particular price is not a legitimate case. There are virtually no such regulations, and the few that may exist are almost certainly bad for the economy.

We could quibble about a few minor examples, like rent control, which is bad if it's a large amount, but probably harmless if the amount or percent is small. I suggest we not go into such examples as that.

Give us a real significant example, probably not of state intervention into the economy, where there is a normal process of prices being set by something that is not a part of the supply-and-demand dynamic at work and performing its role of increasing the prices when the demand goes up or supply goes down, or of decreasing the prices when the demand goes down or supply goes up.

You have not yet given us an example of this.

Supply and demand defined that way can not support the claims you are making of it.

"defined" what way?

definition: "supply-and-demand" is whatever it is that makes price go up when the supply goes down or the demand goes up, and which makes price go down when the supply goes up or the demand goes down.

My claim is supported by this definition because it is falsifiable, or rather, there could be cases where the prices do not follow this rule: Show cases where the supply goes up or demand goes down and yet price goes up, or show cases where the supply goes down or demand goes up and yet price goes down. All other factors being constant.

I'm not absolutely ruling out any possibility of prices going the opposite direction that supply-and-demand dictates. I'm suggesting it's not the norm. And probably something is wrong if it happens. I.e., if the demand goes up or supply goes down, then the price SHOULD go up, and if it doesn't, I suggest something is wrong somewhere.

If there are cases where the price goes in the "wrong" direction, then let's look at those cases. Let's evaluate what happened and judge whether something interfered with the pricing system that should not have interfered.

But first you have to give us an example, which you have yet to do.

Maybe this would be an example: a syndicate moves into town and forces a company to increase its prices and pay the Mob a percentage, and then it goes around to everyone in the town and FORCES everyone to keep buying the product at the higher price, and even to increase their purchases of the product.

I'm not sure it's ever happened -- probably there have been such distortions of the market in some cases, though maybe not as blatant. Anyway, that would be a case where the price increased without any decrease in supply or increase in real demand (i.e., the increased "demand" is really artificial and not genuine consumer "demand" for the product, which decreases because of the higher price, and true "demand" has to be defined in terms of what consumers want and how much they will pay if they are not forced against their will).

So it is not true that "supply-and-demand" is defined as anything at all that makes prices go one way or the other. Some factors could come into play to drive price up or down but which are not a part of basic supply-and-demand. I'm claiming any such factors are not the norm and would probably be something negative or bad for the economy.

And government regulations per se are not a distortion, as long as they are not an attempt to blatantly fix a price for something, like minimum wage law does. That kind of law is a blatant interference with supply-and-demand and harms the economy. But a law that aims to produce a necessary benefit for everyone, such as environmental regulations, is not an interference with supply-and-demand, because it only adds in a cost that was otherwise being ignored by the market.

If that's all you mean, then you have not proved that we are "hurt" by being allowed to make choices.

Perhaps in some cases a wider range of choices can mean higher prices.

But the wider range of choices is what the consumers want, in that case, and they are willing to pay the higher prices in return for that extra choice.

So they can't choose to have a minimum wage?

No more than they can mandate that the employer must attend Church on Sunday. "Consumer choice" properly refers to choice for a product and what price to pay for it. You can try to brainwash consumers and implant "demands" in them for all sorts of things, including that the company managers or investors etc. be rounded up and herded into cattle cars and reprogrammed or have their genes changed to make them become less "greedy" or whatever.

In that sense perhaps consumers might "choose" to "demand" something other than better quality of the product or lower price. But it's only the better quality and lower price that consumers really want. Anything other than this is implanted into their brains by deceptive or fraudulent claims and propaganda.

They object to minimum wage because it denies employers and employees freedom to choose the wage level.

They support all free choice, including the choice to buy something more expensive.

Do they support the freedom to set hygiene levels? What about the freedom to sell counterfeit goods, or buy with counterfeit currency? Do they support the freedom to ignore safety standards, mug people in the street, or enslave others?

They support all freedoms, or free choice, for anything that does not infringe on someone else's free choice or constitute an act of violence or deprivation toward those other than the buyer and seller.

None of the examples I gave involve violence or deprivation to anyone other than the buyer or seller.

Who is denying anyone free choice for any of the above? What does this have to do with the fact that MW interferes with the free choice of employers and wage-earners to set the terms of employment without outside interference? Free choice by buyers and sellers without outside interference is good for us, just as it's good for you to be free to choose what color of shirt to wear. Should outsiders be able to dictate to you what shirt to wear? So why shouldn't employers and wage-earners individually be just as free to determine the wage level without outside interference?

Poor hygiene, only effects buyer.

You have to give an example. The buyer cannot buy something poisonous and spread it around to others.

Counterfeit goods, only affects buyer.

Theoretically it also affects the producers. Like if a patent or copyright is violated. We shouldn't get into nitpicking examples like this. There are too many arguments about whether copyrights/patents do more harm than good. We shouldn't delve into all those debates in order to address this MW debate.

Ignore safety standards, only effects buyer

Depends. Others might also be affected. Also, the buyer might be misled into thinking the product is safe when it's not. That's a form of fraud. "Consumer choice" includes some amount of security against fraud or deception or blatant misinformation. If none of that is present and the buyer has good information, then the buyer should be entitled to purchase an "unsafe" product if it's available. What's wrong with that kind of "free choice" if the buyer chooses to take all the risk?

Counterfeit money, only effect seller

No, all people are harmed by counterfeit money. That's not a legitimate example of "free choice" for consumers.

And also it's fraud against the seller, and all buyers and sellers are entitled to be protected against fraud.

Enslave workers, only affects seller (of labour)

No, everyone is affected and harmed and threatened. Get serious.

Mug people in the street, might affect others. Does that mean you're ok with it as long as it's only the buyer who gets mugged?

Of course not, because I might be that buyer. Everyone is a buyer. "Consumer choice" does not include the choice of a consumer to get mugged.

What is your point with these silly examples? Free choice for buyers and sellers means something and should be given high priority. But you can't go from this principle to the silly conclusion that everyone is therefore free to beat up and rob and shoot anyone or reek havoc. It's clear what are the limitations on "free choice" -- Buyers and sellers should have the basic freedom to make their choices as anyone is free to make personal choices.

What to buy or sell, and at what price, etc., is a personal choice that should be safeguarded to each individual. Including whether to buy or sell labor. Why should the buying or selling of labor be subject to impositions from the outside any more than the choice of what costume to wear to a Halloween party?

Or are you starting to see that infringing the freedom of buyer and seller to set terms is not only desirable, but necessary to the conduct of a free market?

No, I hope I don't start imagining such brain-dead nonsense.

And this includes freedom from fraud. To say they favor "freedom" obviously does not mean freedom to commit crimes . . .

That's not obvious at all. You wouldn't support minimum wage merely if it became a criminal offence not to pay it, would you?

I'm talking about REAL "crimes" -- which is not the same thing as anything the state makes illegal. It was a "crime" to harbor a Jew in Nazi Germany, but it wasn't a REAL crime.

I mean "crime" in the higher sense, i.e., "natural law," not just anything a state makes illegal.

Freedom of choice for consumers obviously does not include the freedom to be victimized by fraud, or any other real crime. (It shouldn't be necessary to make these distinctions.)

There is a huge difference, e.g., between a transaction which pollutes the air, which does interfere with the lives of others than just the buyer and seller, and a transaction where cheap labor is hired. The latter impacts on no one other than the particular buyer(s) and seller(s) involved in the transaction, including the employer(s) and employee(s), as long as they are making their choices freely. No one outside this transaction, other than buyer(s) and seller(s), is impacted, and so it does not do any net damage to the world . . .

so it doesn't drive down the price of labour and reduce the spending power of the workforce?

It might do that, if that "workforce" is highly uncompetitive and unproductive, but it does not do any net damage to people. When the price is driven down by new technology it might reduce the incomes of some producers who were inefficient, but it increases the net benefit to all.

The vast benefit to millions or even billions of consumers, from the improvements in production, the progress, the new technology, etc., outweighs the damage to those inefficient producers who were replaced or whose incomes declined.

Otherwise, you must claim that the Luddites were right to smash up the machines that were replacing them. Is that what your minimum wage philosophy is based upon? that replacing workers with robots and computers is bad for society because it reduces the "spending power of the workforce"?

When progress or benefit to consumers is increased, it doesn't matter that some unproductive replaced producers experienced some damage, no matter how widespread that unproductive class might be, or how high is their percentage of the population.

All of these make products more expensive, and thus, by your argument, hurt us all.

No, they make products LESS expensive. Lower labor cost reduces the net prices we pay. The influx of cheap foreign imports is an example of how lower labor cost has made almost everything less expensive (i.e., less than it would have been, i.e., prices would have increased much higher than they have, and they used to increase at a much higher rate back before we had so many imports produced by cheap labor).

Those who favor free choice do not mean free choice to commit crimes etc. This should be obvious.

It should be, but you seem to be struggling to draw a distinction between what should be banned by law, and what should not.

In general the distinctions are clear. But there are always borderline cases for any rules. Just because you can bring up borderline cases does not mean the basic principle is erroneous.

You have been unable to give us any reason why the price for labor should be regulated or fixed by government but not prices of everything else.

You want some things to be banned, and others not, but can't give me the distinction between them.

Everyone wants some things to be banned and others not. You want to ban some things but not other things.

So this is irrelevant to our topic. The question here is why low wages should be banned, when both the employer and employee agree to the low wage and neither is being defrauded or forced by the other.

Instead of answering this, you give arguments against having ANY free choice, and argue that ALL free choice must be banned if any choice is to be banned. Which is silly because you know that some free choice has to be allowed but not other free choice, and that "free choice" has never meant free choice to do anything one wants, including robbing and raping and pillaging and so on. Just because it isn't always easy to lay out all the philosophical principles does not mean there is no basis for having any "free choice" whatever.

The best you've tried is something that effects no one else. A doctor who gets paid in advance and then simply kills his patients doesn't affect anyone other than the buyer and the seller, so that clearly doesn't work.

But both parties have to get what was agreed to. If the buyer is killed by the seller, then he didn't get what was agreed to.

Just because you agree with someone on something doesn't entitle that person to kill you.

It's the transaction agreed to freely that is to be protected against outside interference, such as from the state. But the agreement or deal transacted doesn't entitle one to kill the other. If that were so, then the character in the movie "Psycho" who stabbed to death the girl in the shower could claim he was entitled to do it because she was a customer at his hotel. I don't think that's what people mean when they say they want "freedom" or "free choice" in a free market. I.e., freedom to be murdered by the other party to the transaction.

Is that what you thought "free choice" means?

What's missing is that the buyer or seller must be protected from certain kinds of transaction -- ones which cause harm -- irrespective of whether they freely entered into them or not.

A low-wage job per se does not cause harm. There's lots of low-paid labor, below the minimum-wage level, and it does not cause harm. And the world would be made much worse off, net harm inflicted, if that low-wage labor should be suppressed and minimum-wage restrictions enforced universally in all cases, especially if extended to all forms of labor that are now arbitrarily excluded from being covered.

The terms "organic" and "fair trade" are not clearly defined, and some consumers are defrauded into believing there is something superior in a product labelled as "organic" or "fair trade," when the product is not really superior at all, and there is nothing wrong with investigating promotional claims or advertising that misuse these terms in a way as to defraud consumers.

How does fraudulent advertising affect anyone other than the buyer or seller?

We're all buyers and sellers. Fraud in effect cancels our free choice, because "free choice" includes the element of not being deceived or lied to about what we are choosing. The meaning of "free choice" includes a certain level of correct knowledge or available information to the one choosing, because one must KNOW what one is choosing.

Really, it ought not be necessary to make these distinctions. The fact that you cannot come up with anything better than this really proves that minimum wage is bad for our economy. Is this what minimum wage law is really based upon? that fraud is OK and that "freedom" means it's OK to murder your customer? This is the basic premise upon which we enact minimum wage laws?

The benefits of "consumer choice" do not apply in those cases where the choices are a response to fraudulent claims for the products they are choosing.

So there are situations in which a choice isn't really a choice? Such as one made under duress, or via false information?

Can you see how that leads to a minimum wage, or shall I spell it out for you?

The employer is not using duress or false information.

The dire straits that some job-seekers are in are not a result of any duress from an employer. Just because you're poor does not mean that the employer is threatening you or causing your poverty. The employer is only offering you an option to improve your situation slightly. Whether you accept the offer or turn it down, either way that employer has made you no worse off.

You're not a victim of duress if all that happened to you is that you were offered something that would be only a small improvement over what you had before. Just because you were hoping for a much larger improvement than what you got does not mean you were a victim of duress.

As to false information, you'll have to give examples. If an employer lies to the job-seeker, promising something that is false, this could be fraud and ought be prosecuted.

But this is not generally the case. Usually the worker knows the terms and is making a total free choice. However, it would be appropriate to require the employer to be forthcoming about health risks or hazards and so on. This would be an appropriate role for an agency like OSHA to play, i.e., not imposing rules, but requiring full disclosure of information to the job-seekers. The job-seekers should be free to decide what level of risk they are willing to take rather than the state or even a union deciding for them.

So you're arguing that the freedom to call your product whatever you want and express your opinion about its merits, should be limited to those claims that aren't fraudulent or misleading, because that's not a true expression of consumer choice, and thus denies the benefits that usually come from consumer choice?

Great. So that's consumers, what about producers/suppliers? Presumably they should also be protected from fraud, robbery, or market fixing from their customers, or else you don't get a functioning market there either.

There can be such a thing as fraud by consumers. In general there is no need to police consumers, however, or impose laws, other than against shoplifting or something of that nature.

If you think there is fraud on a grander scale being committed by consumers, then you need to give an example.

I said customers, not consumers. A manufacturer will buy a lot as a customer, and may enjoy a great deal of power over their suppliers.

Are you speaking of anti-competitive behavior? The "free choice" principle I've presented does not necessarily argue against antitrust law. That's a whole different issue we should not drag into this. There might be a role for the state to enforce competition and penalize anti-competitive behavior, in the interest of consumers, and to expand choices in the market.

But this is no argument for minimum wage, because there are plenty of employers/buyers and thus adequate competition between them for labor.

On the other hand, there might be a case for the lawsuit brought by some hi-tech workers against Apple, as an example of anti-competitive behavior or "restraint-of-trade" by some companies. But the low wages paid to low-value workers are a result of their very low value, not any restraint-of-trade or anticompetitive behavior by companies.

Can you see how there isn't a truly free choice going on there . . .

But there IS truly a free choice. Both of the parties, employer and employee, are made better off by the transaction, because either is free to say no if it's not in their interest.

What makes you think they are free to say no?

That may not be the case in the case of desperation wages.

They are just as free as they were before the job offer was made to them. How can the job offer be restricting their freedom? The employer offering the job is not interfering with their freedom by offering them the job. Whatever "freedom" was denied to them was already being denied to them BEFORE the job offer, and so suppressing that job offer does nothing to make the job-seeker any freer than before.

If you want to protect the job-seeker's freedom, go after whatever was curtailing his freedom, which was not the employer offering the low-wage job. That employer is only a scapegoat for the real culprit, which was something already there prior to the employer entering the picture.

As long as the job-seeker is just as free as he was before, then his choice to take or reject the offer is a free one, because he is free to retain the same amount of freedom he had before.

It certainly isn't the case where workers are forced to accept a job if offered one.

But they are just as free as they would be if NOT offered that job. So the job offer (at a low wage) is not reducing their freedom. The employer is not doing any harm to them or curtailing their freedom in the slightest.

And it ignores the costs of moving from one job to another, which may be insurmountable.

Bummer!

Who is made worse off? The workers won't choose to take that job if it makes them worse off, so it can't be the workers who are worse off. So who's made worse off by the payment to the workers going down below some minimum-wage level?

Workers whose choices are restricted in some way. As is typically the case.

How are their choices restricted by being offered this job? How is their choice restricted anymore than it would be if NO job is offered? They may take this job or refuse it. How can "take it or leave it" ever restrict their choice? How is the one offering this choice to them causing them any less freedom than if he offered them nothing?

SimpleDon

It is this argument that is applied against the minimum wage, that if the wage is increased then some of the existing workers have to be laid off because the wage has been pushed above the marginal productivity of those last workers hired.

That's not really the argument. Rather, it is that in the period following the increase there is an overall reduction of hiring from what it would have been if there had been no increase. Not that some "existing workers have to be laid off."

And what does this have to do with the setting of prices and wages by supply and demand? Because . . . the theory of the free market doesn't allow cost plus pricing or cost plus pricing to set a floor for the prices set by supply and demand.

Who says the free market does not allow this? The free market allows, or encourages, any method of calculating/estimating costs and revenues and choosing whatever method is most reliable. It allows setting "floors" for anything that "floors" should be set for.

It is an indication that something is wrong with the neoclassical theory of prices and wages set by supply and demand. There is no allowance in the theory for cost plus pricing.

Yes there is. What in "supply and demand" prevents cost plus pricing? "Supply and demand" allows for any kind of pricing that works. Eventually they'll invent a still better pricing method and give it a new name and "supply and demand" will then adapt to it.

The theory is that supply and demand set the prices and the wages, period. And yet you realize based on your own experience that in the real world most prices are cost plus and producers can't operate for long at a loss.

If "cost plus" prices are correct, then supply-and-demand sets the prices and wages based on that. There is no contradiction between "cost plus" and "supply and demand."

Neither are taken into account in the theories supporting the free market setting prices and wages by supply and demand.

Both are taken into account, along with anything else that is reliable. If they come up with a "Quack Minus" pricing method that works, then the free market system will adopt that and set prices and wages according to that new improved "Quack Minus" pricing theory. Who says the free market supply-and-demand cannot use whatever pricing method works best?

If the productivity of the workers employed is the same then it would be stupid for the owner to lay off workers when the wage is forced up. The owner by doing so would not only be giving up the profit lost to the increase in the wages . . .

No, if workers are laid off there is no increase in wages. How can there be an increase in wages to workers who are laid off? How can they be paid increased wages if they aren't working anymore?

. . . they also would be giving up the profits from the additional units that the laid off workers would have produced.

But those profits have decreased while the cost of the worker has increased, and if these changes are great enough, then the costs can come to be greater than the profit from the workers, and it's more profitable to reduce production and lay some of them off.

Higher cost in itself has to mean reduced production at some time in the future. I.e., reduced from what it would have been if the cost had not gone higher. All else being equal, of course.

The best option would be to continue to produce the number of units that they can sell . . .

No, the best option is to reduce the production to the number of units that bring the maximum profit. Now that the return per unit is lower than before, the optimum profit level is a reduced output from before and the total profit will now be less than before, or less than it would have been if there had been no labor cost increase.

. . . just like before the wage increase and to just accept the lower profits on each unit sold due to the increased wages.

No, that would be less than the maximum profit level possible for the company. The new maximum profit level is a lower output than before. At the earlier lower cost level the company already had the maximum production level for that cost level. It already employed the maximum workers it could, accepting "lower profits on each unit sold" than if those costs had been higher and pushing the production level to the highest possible under those costs. Now that the cost has increased, that optimum production level is lower than before, and any production level higher than the optimum level means lower profit due to the higher cost.

Any other option results in less overall profit.

No, there's less overall profit if the company continues to pay an increased labor cost that is not giving it a corresponding higher return on that higher cost.

Over some ensuing time period that company has to reduce production levels to below what they would have been had there been no labor cost increase.

There is no reason for the owners to buy less labor because the price goes up.

Wrong. If your reasoning is correct, the minimum wage could be increased to $100/hour and the company should still keep all those workers without laying off any. Your analysis leaves no room for a company to ever lay off workers as a result of higher labor cost, no matter how high this cost might go. Which of course is ludicrous.

You must allow a point at which the company would have to lay off workers. But by your reasoning there is no such point.

If X number of employees produced Y number of products and they were sold to produce the maximum amount of profit before the wage goes up, after the wage goes up the same number of employees X will still produce Y products that can be sold to produce the maximum amount of profit, it will just be less profit than before.

Again, by this logic, the wage can be raised without limit and there is no point where the company lays off workers or hires any fewer workers than before. There is nothing in this analysis which puts any limit on how high the wage can be raised before it finally forces a reduced production level.

Or, possibly, the logic here is that the same production level is maintained, no matter how low the profit goes, until finally, when there is only one penny of profit, then suddenly -- POOF! -- the company turns into a pumpkin.

Last edited:
SimpleDon

Your opinion about the minimum wage being a rational response, too, ignores historical facts. The minimum wage in America was created by eugenicists to weed out the defectives and undesirables from employment, and thus from proper society. It accomplishes its purpose even today. We have, what, 92 million people marginalized and idling in this country? The minimum wage has already priced these people out of the job market, how does raising it put those people to work?

The one of the main reasons that the entire nation was created to preserve slavery. Does that mean that we must abandon the country because the reason that it was formed was a vile one? Besides minimum wages are pretty popular in the whole world. Are you saying that all of them where written by evil bad eugenicists? A bold assertion.

Equaled by the bold assertion that 92 million people are priced out of the labor market by the minimum wage. I can't wait to see your support for that. Also it means that you have to answer my challenge question, if the minimum wage causes widespread massive unemployment does all other wage increases also cause massive unemployment or is the minimum wage just special?

I assume that that was the only disagreements that you had with my points?

I'm sorry. You seem to be laboring under a cluster of misconceptions.

Again, by this logic, the wage can be raised without limit and there is no point where the company lays off workers or hires any fewer workers than before. There is nothing in this analysis which puts any limit on how high the wage can be raised before it finally forces a reduced production level.

Or, possibly, the logic here is that the same production level is maintained, no matter how low the profit goes, until finally, when there is only one penny of profit, then suddenly -- POOF! -- the company turns into a pumpkin.

Huge straw man argument. Of course that same straw man works both ways. Eliminate minimum wage and we could have everyone working for nothing. Of course the company would not be able to sell its products because no one would have money to buy them but that's just a minor quibble.

The problem is that humans have a built in cost to being human. Libertarians seem to ignore that fact. It doesn't play into their economic theory, therefore it's an inhumane philosophy. Economic systems should serve society (humans), not the other way around.

Continuation of my response Loren's post.

But first, we going to step back and take a broader view.

Don't you see the problem here? You are a fan boy for the free market but you don't even seem to understand the axiomatic basis for it. The axiomatic support for the free market is ridiculous. It is cartoonish. It doesn't bear any relationship to what we see out in the real world. It is impractical.

And we haven't even discussed 98% of it yet.

It is apologetics, defense of the faith. It is not trying to understand the economy that we have here today, in the real world. It is trying to support the idea of a free market. Any empirical data that doesn't support the idea of the free market must be marginalized and explained away.

It is not trying to explain history to better understand how we developed the economy that we have today. It is trying to bend history to support the faith of the free market. It is not looking forward to try to improve the outcomes from the economy, it is looking toward instead to an idealistic, an impossible to obtain a future where the market will be, finally, free at last, good god almighty, free at last!

They are not open ended investigations meant to explain the economy, they are apologetics to explain why the free market does exist or can exist.

This should set off alarm bells for anyone who believes in the scientific method. It should send off alarm bells for atheists, especially ones who struggled to throw off another entrenched idea that supporters defend as an article of faith.

And no, most people can't walk off of their jobs if they don't get an adequate raise. They are not free to change jobs because of factors that don't enter directly into the question of supply and demand setting wages. Most are not free to move to a different place for example. Many are trapped by having to keep the health care insurance that they have for example. It is not reasonable to require these things of people to simply get a reasonable wage. Remember that the most basic function of the economy is to distribute resources to the members of society. We do this by paying wages for work.

A new job normally comes with health insurance. And nobody's saying to walk off the job--you can job hunt while you're employed.

What impacts and defines the economy is not what people can do but what people actually do. Wages are higher when employees negotiate wages as a group than when they negotiate individually.

I know a lot of the valid fallacies concerning the economy. I have never come across the fallacy of the infinite profit pool. I can't imagine anyone advancing it. I can only assume that it is your attempt at humor to imply that I believe that there is an infinite pool of profits to tap in this case for wages. I assure you that I don't believe any such thing.

It's my name for the assumption I see again and again from the left that you can fund anything worthwhile by taking the money from excess profit being made by companies. Since a discussion of whether the money is there is never acceptable that means the excess profit must be infinite. It comes in a million guises but they're all basically the same underneath.

But I am not from the left, I would never propose something as idiotic as the idea that there is an infinite pool of profits and I challenge you to produce a single economist, left, right or center that does. You don't do yourself any favors with such an assertion.

As for the idea that there isn't the money to shift to the labor share, wages, from the capital share, profits, I remind you that since we have instituted fiscal policies, Reaganomics, to shift money from the labor share to the capital share of the GDP the labor share has dropped by 8% of GDP, currently about a trillion dollars a year. This has been accompanied by lower growth, lower investment in the economy and greater economic instability as one asset bubble after another has burst.

As I have asked repeatedly in there threads can anyone state that they believe that we currently have too much demand and too little capital available for investment? These are the the conditions that would justify continuing these supply side economic policies.

But neither do I accept the idea that capital, money, is a precious, scarce resource that must be highly rewarded for the economy to work well, another one of the underlying theories required to support the fantasy of the free market. Money is not scarce in a modern economy that uses a fiat money system. Why must we pretend that it is? It only ties us tighter to the people who have money. To give them an importance that they don't deserve.

Thus showing that you don't understand what money is.

Money in a modern economy is nothing more than an abstraction in the macroeconomy, a device to get people to work and to give people the incentive to build production facilities. It should only be judged by how well it does these two things. You have seen me say this many times, the real wealth of a nation is in its natural resources, in its ability to produce and in the human capital that it has. Nothing more. The amount of money that it has or that the population has is not real wealth. The simple fact that any sovereign nation can produce any amount of money that it wants by simply typing numbers into the correct computer should tell you this, money is not real wealth to the macroeconomy.

Yes--and money is the yardstick by which these are measured. While you can increase the money supply that simply causes inflation, it produces no more real wealth to do things with and thus doesn't let you accomplish anything more.

Please tell me what I don't understand about money.

I said that a sovereign nation can create as much money as it wants to create, somewhat disqualifying money as a scarce resources. Is this wrong?

In fact the limit on how much money a country can create is inflation, you are correct. The government can create so much money that it creates so much demand that it out strips the production capacity of the economy. But if money is scarce, the opposite of inflation, and demand is low and there are adequate reserves in the nation's production capacity, the situation now in the US, a nation can create as much money as needed easily, to relieve any possible shortage in the supply of money and the resulting shortage in demand. And this means that money can't be considered a scarce resource, right?

And yet our current set of economic policies treats money as if it is a scarce resource.

Inflation is not caused by increasing the money supply. Inflation is a general, economy wide increase in prices. There is no such a thing as hidden inflation. It is kind of hard to hide price increases.

In theory it would be possible to create inflation by creating too much money. But, as we learned in the current depression, creating money is only part of the problem that you face if you are going to try to increase inflation, as we are currently, almost desperately, trying to do. Not only do you have to create the money, you have to get it into the economy. And you have to get it into the real economy of people buying real products for consumption, not the paper economy of Wall Street. Unless you are willing to use Ben Bernanke's helicopter drop it is hard to get the newly created money into the real economy.

The traditional monetarism tools aren't working. Lowering the interest rates doesn't put money into the economy if people aren't borrowing money. In fact if people were borrowing money they would be creating money on their own. This is where the neoclassical belief that money is scarce resource is causing bad, ineffective policies. Once you realize that money is not a scarce resource, that a healthy, growing economy produces the money that it needs when it needs it, you realize that you can't force money into the economy by lowering interest rates.

Monetarism's other tool is its open market operations, the Fed buying bonds to inject money into the economy, the QEs. The bonds that the Fed buys are part of the paper economy, money being held out of the real economy of producing products. They are paper investments, nothing more than a slightly different form of money. The money that the Fed injects by buying these bonds goes back into the paper economy. It is good for the stock market and it helps to build asset bubbles, apparently one of the main goals of supply side economic policies. But it doesn't make it into the real economy.

The only sure way of getting money into the economy and increasing demand is for the government to create the money and to spend it into the economy, directly creating demand. They do this by deficit spending. After the Great Financial Crisis and Recession was effective until we as a nation embraced austerity, trying to balance the federal government budget in a depression is insanity. Not only does it prolong the after affects of the massive recession, it ends up costing more and creating more private debt.​

I said that to the macroeconomy money is an abstraction, a means to an end.

So do you believe that money is not an abstraction, that it is real wealth? But it "produces no more real wealth that you can do things with and thus doesn't let you accomplish anything more" when there is too much of it? Sounds pretty abstract to my simple mind, thinking money that stops being real wealth when there is too much of it

I am sorry that I have to guess at your position on these points. Perhaps if you could explain why you hold these position I wouldn't have guess at them.​

Extending that wages are the primary component of demand in the economy, profits are the main component of money available for investment, called supply. It follows that if the economy has too much supply and not enough demand that what is needed is for wages to increase and for profits to decrease. That is the condition that we have now, too much supply and not enough demand.

No. What's needed is to increase the velocity of money. That's what a recession depression is: slow money.

And how do you do that without increasing demand? By increasing profits to make more money available for investment? We have been doing that for thirty years and it hasn't worked yet. How much longer do we try this? Another thirty years?

Do you believe that we are short of supply, profits are too low right now? What about demand, how has it changed in the last thirty years?

What do you think that demand is?

What causes the velocity of money to increase? Demand? Supply? Animal spirits?

Why do you think that a decrease in the velocity of money causes a recession? Why does it slow down? Does it get tired of high velocity? Does money slow down because of old age? The Great Recession of 2008 was triggered by the bursting of the real estate asset bubble. Did the bubble burst because the money was moving too slowly?

Asset bubbles are caused by too much money available for investment. More than can be invested in the economy.

What about financial market paper investments, the buying of stocks, bonds, T bills, are these investments in the real economy or are these things just another form of money, value being stored in different forms, money being made from money and not from increasing the wealth of the nation? Do these investments increase the velocity of money or do they slow it down?

It doesn't require a command economy to correct this. In fact we are in this condition because of the policies of the previously mentioned supply side economics which were nothing more than policies designed to increase supply, to increase profits by decreasing demand, wages. We simply need to slowly start to reverse these policies. No command economy, unless you consider supply side economics, also called Reaganomics, to constitute a command economy. Then I am afraid that you are just slinging words without paying any attention to their meaning, much as you did to avoid having to address my points.

Supply side had nothing to do with it. The economy crashed because people were living on borrowed money. Of course the market finally corrected.

You don't believe that the fiscal policies of the country, policies designed to increase income and wealth inequity in order to increase supply and decrease demand, have anything to do with our current problems of too little demand, too much supply and too much income and wealth inequity? How can you arrive at such a conclusion? You don't believe that the fiscal policies of the nation impact the nation's economy? Or maybe you don't believe that the supply side economic policies worked at all but some unknown set of circumstances intervened to accomplish exactly what the supply side policies would have accomplish had they worked? Or perhaps you join Boneyard Bill in his rationalizations that we no longer are following pure supply side economic policies because the tax rates have been changed up and down since the 1980's and we have written new regulations since then, so that we are now living under socialism, not Reaganomics?

Neoclassical economics, the support for the free market, tells us that private debt doesn't matter, one man's debt is another man's asset, they cancel each other out. Are they wrong?

If the excessive amount of private debt caused the crash, doesn't it tell us that excessive private debt is bad? And since private debt is also other people's private assets that means that excessive private assets must also be bad for the economy? And since the money loaned out to create the debt was largely raised by selling mortgage backed securities to the wealthy as investments the question has to be asked, where did all of that money come from? You don't believe that economic policies to increase the money available for investments had anything to do with excessive amounts of money being available for investments?

Your other points, the condensed version.

[*]Wages are the primary component of demand. This means that you would be increasing demand in good times and decreasing demand in bad times, the exact oppose of what you want.

This is an unfortunate bit of reality that there's no way around. Economics is a feedback cycle.

This is nothing more than saying that we have to live with the instability in the economy. Why? The reality is that we can do things to stabilize the economy. The economy adapted to stabilize itself by adopting sticky prices and sticky wages.

You're ascribing intent where there was none.

No, we have sticky wages and prices because the market has freely chosen to have sticky wages and prices. The government didn't force stickiness on the economy. The economy works better with stickiness. There was no divine decree forcing the adoption of wage and price stickiness. It wasn't written in holy book, it evolved because it works better.

Government and the market grew and evolved together. Controlling bad behavior in the economy, establishing rules for the economy certainly was one of the main reasons for government. From the first time a tribal chief was asked to vouch for the reliability of proposed partner in a trade government has been involved in the economy. To say that you want to get government out of the economy is nothing less than suicidal.

This is the strongest argument against the free market, that the market has evolved over the years based on what works best, not what people think would work best.

Furthermore, we *DO* try to stabilize the economy--look at the inflation rate pre-Fed and in the era of the Fed. Things have been a lot smoother since. There's a limit to how much they can accomplish, though.

Yes, if we learned anything from the Great Recession it is that there is a limit to how much monetary policy, the tools of the Fed, can do. Especially in a serious recession.

In fact I believe that our capitalistic economy is capable of not only being stabilized but that our experience with it has shown it to be very robust and capable of being manipulated to produce much better outcomes than we currently see. It is the fantasy economics of the free market that seems to believe that the economy is a delicate, precious flower that can't be touched for fear of crushing it. A view that can most easily proven false by looking at all of the different forms capitalism takes around the world. All without resorting to a command economy. [/Okay, not so condensed]

And where are you finding these places that did it better? Remember, you can't count places that we are propping up in one way or another. (And every place with an economy on a par with ours does so under our military umbrella.)

Why does being under our military umbrella disqualify a nation from establishing a more equable income distribution and demand side economic policies? Are you unable to imagine that the value of "being under our military umbrella" can't be quantified? That it has no value that can be expressed in money terms?

It is a simple matter to compare the defense budgets of countries that we help to protect with countries that we don't, Germany with France, Sweden or Switzerland for example.

But it doesn't really matter. I am talking about economic fiscal policies to bring back a more equitable balance between profits and wages. The key word is balance, the ratio between the two. It has nothing to do with the level of military spending.

But we don't even have to look at other countries. The US has proven over the last thirty years that the economic policies can be used to change the income distribution. The only difference is that the US has intentionally set our policies to make the rich richer, to make the income distribution worse. We can decide to change our policies to improve the income distribution, strengthen the middle class, alleviate a large amount of our poverty. increase demand and substantially improve the economy.

I don't see any constancy in your arguments. My argument is simple. We have had economic fiscal policies that favor increasing supply, profits, to increase the money available for investment. These policies reduced wages and the labor share of GDP to provide more money for investment.

After thirty years of these economic policies we have too much money available for investments. Surprise. And not enough demand, which comes primarily from wages, to justify added investment.

The solution is obvious, increase wages and decrease profits.

The way to do this is also obvious. Start to slowly reverse the neoliberal, supply side economic policies currently in place.

Raise taxes on the wealthy, especially inheritance taxes, increase the minimum wage, provide more muscle for employees to negotiate wages.

Here is confirmation published in the Wall Street Journal, that all of the inflation that we have had since the recession has come from increased profits. Only 8% of the inflation is attributed to wage increases. All other sources of possible inflation was in deflation at minus 8% balancing wage inflation resulting in the claim that profits has contributed all of the inflation since the recession.

Where are our inflation warriors who are so concerned with price increases from an increase in the minimum wage? I expect that they will be here any minute saying that we must suppress profits to prevent inflation.

Possibly they don't trust the source, part of the mainstream media.

Here is the article. http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2014/...pressures-stemming-from-labor-costs-just-yet/

Continuation of my response Loren's post.

But first, we going to step back and take a broader view.

Don't you see the problem here? You are a fan boy for the free market but you don't even seem to understand the axiomatic basis for it. The axiomatic support for the free market is ridiculous. It is cartoonish. It doesn't bear any relationship to what we see out in the real world. It is impractical.

Except nobody has come up with something that works better.

What impacts and defines the economy is not what people can do but what people actually do. Wages are higher when employees negotiate wages as a group than when they negotiate individually.

Of course--extortion is profitable. Normally it carries the risk of jail time but in this case the government will support you.

But I am not from the left, I would never propose something as idiotic as the idea that there is an infinite pool of profits and I challenge you to produce a single economist, left, right or center that does. You don't do yourself any favors with such an assertion.

Of course nobody is saying it actually exists. I'm saying that many of the positions taken by the left make no sense if there isn't such a pool.

As for the idea that there isn't the money to shift to the labor share, wages, from the capital share, profits, I remind you that since we have instituted fiscal policies, Reaganomics, to shift money from the labor share to the capital share of the GDP the labor share has dropped by 8% of GDP, currently about a trillion dollars a year. This has been accompanied by lower growth, lower investment in the economy and greater economic instability as one asset bubble after another has burst.

Labor's share has been dropping because the technology in the workplace has been going up.

Consider my former employer--I saw quite a bit of evolution in how things worked over the two decades I worked for them. The relevant bit of data is worker productivity: When I started there the line produced roughly 1 box per worker per day. By the time they went under I would say that was at least 5 boxes per worker per day. Furthermore, many of them were more complex besides.

Were the workers working harder? While I don't have a good picture of it I would say that if anything the job was easier as machinery was doing more of the manual labor--many things were moved by machinery that were originally moved by hand. The workers spent more of their time actually doing the productive part of their jobs rather than gathering stuff and getting work into position--and the only people whose doing involved objects over 10 pounds were the people loading the finished product into the trucks (and most objects were under 5 pounds.)

The increased productivity was due to reinvesting income into better tools. Why should the workers get the money the tools made? Worker wages did *NOT* fall, it's the number of workers per product fell. That's what's happening all over the place, of course the percentage of money paid out as wages has fallen.

As I have asked repeatedly in there threads can anyone state that they believe that we currently have too much demand and too little capital available for investment? These are the the conditions that would justify continuing these supply side economic policies.

The problem is that you are looking at a short term problem and wanting to apply a fix that might be good now but will be very bad down the road.

In fact the limit on how much money a country can create is inflation, you are correct. The government can create so much money that it creates so much demand that it out strips the production capacity of the economy. But if money is scarce, the opposite of inflation, and demand is low and there are adequate reserves in the nation's production capacity, the situation now in the US, a nation can create as much money as needed easily, to relieve any possible shortage in the supply of money and the resulting shortage in demand. And this means that money can't be considered a scarce resource, right?​

May I direct you to  Quantitative_easing? The government is doing exactly what you say and I think they're doing the right thing. A short term fix to a short term problem.

Inflation is not caused by increasing the money supply. Inflation is a general, economy wide increase in prices. There is no such a thing as hidden inflation. It is kind of hard to hide price increases.

In theory it would be possible to create inflation by creating too much money. But, as we learned in the current depression, creating money is only part of the problem that you face if you are going to try to increase inflation, as we are currently, almost desperately, trying to do. Not only do you have to create the money, you have to get it into the economy. And you have to get it into the real economy of people buying real products for consumption, not the paper economy of Wall Street. Unless you are willing to use Ben Bernanke's helicopter drop it is hard to get the newly created money into the real economy.

It's not merely theory--in practice that's what happens. When the money supply grows faster than the value of the goods/services it's chasing the result is inflation. The only reason QE doesn't cause inflation is that what really counts is the money supply * the speed it moves around. That speed is currently low enough that QE isn't even bringing the money supply up to normal, let alone above normal.

So do you believe that money is not an abstraction, that it is real wealth? But it "produces no more real wealth that you can do things with and thus doesn't let you accomplish anything more" when there is too much of it? Sounds pretty abstract to my simple mind, thinking money that stops being real wealth when there is too much of it

I am sorry that I have to guess at your position on these points. Perhaps if you could explain why you hold these position I wouldn't have guess at them.​

Money isn't wealth, any more than you can build a house out of a yardstick. Good luck making your house fit together if you don't keep using that yardstick to measure what you're doing, though.

You don't believe that the fiscal policies of the country, policies designed to increase income and wealth inequity in order to increase supply and decrease demand, have anything to do with our current problems of too little demand, too much supply and too much income and wealth inequity?

I see a lot of leftist hype, not a lot of reality. The inequality isn't caused by fiscal policy, it's caused by automation.

If the excessive amount of private debt caused the crash, doesn't it tell us that excessive private debt is bad? And since private debt is also other people's private assets that means that excessive private assets must also be bad for the economy? And since the money loaned out to create the debt was largely raised by selling mortgage backed securities to the wealthy as investments the question has to be asked, where did all of that money come from? You don't believe that economic policies to increase the money available for investments had anything to do with excessive amounts of money being available for investments?

Sounds like 1984.

It has nothing to do with whether the borrowing was public or private. Bubbles normally are private because the government usually doesn't do that sort of investing in the first place to get involved, although the government was certainly involved in the lax rules that caused this. It wasn't Reaganomics, it was the CRA. (However, I put most of the blame on Bush because he should have seen what was happening and taken action. Mistakes will happen, a failure to act on an obvious one shouldn't happen.)

No, we have sticky wages and prices because the market has freely chosen to have sticky wages and prices. The government didn't force stickiness on the economy. The economy works better with stickiness. There was no divine decree forcing the adoption of wage and price stickiness. It wasn't written in holy book, it evolved because it works better.

We have sticky wages because workers are liable to leave if their wages are cut. This means costs are sticky which means prices also are.

Why does being under our military umbrella disqualify a nation from establishing a more equable income distribution and demand side economic policies? Are you unable to imagine that the value of "being under our military umbrella" can't be quantified? That it has no value that can be expressed in money terms?

Being under our umbrella means a lot of money we spend on that umbrella they can spend on social things instead.

It is a simple matter to compare the defense budgets of countries that we help to protect with countries that we don't, Germany with France, Sweden or Switzerland for example.

The only one there we don't help is Switzerland and that's helped by it's location--they don't have much of a military beyond infantry.

But it doesn't really matter. I am talking about economic fiscal policies to bring back a more equitable balance between profits and wages. The key word is balance, the ratio between the two. It has nothing to do with the level of military spending.

The problem is that you are basing this on a false premise.

The solution is obvious, increase wages and decrease profits.

The way to do this is also obvious. Start to slowly reverse the neoliberal, supply side economic policies currently in place.

Raise taxes on the wealthy, especially inheritance taxes, increase the minimum wage, provide more muscle for employees to negotiate wages.

That's always the leftist answer. Eat the seed corn.

Argument for higher wage must identify HOW MUCH higher. What's the limit?

(Minimum-wage arguments usually appeal to the need for a minimum standard of living for the worker. But an economic argument showing that the company benefits by paying the higher wage is not based on this. The argument from SimpleDon was not based on the "minimum standard of living" appeal, but on some profit benefit to the company from paying the higher wage rather than reducing production and laying off workers (or reducing hiring).)

ZiprHead

SimpleDon: If the productivity of the workers employed is the same then it would be stupid for the owner to lay off workers when the wage is forced up. The owner by doing so would not only be giving up the profit lost to the increase in the wages, they also would be giving up the profits from the additional units that the laid off workers would have produced. The best option would be to continue to produce the number of units that they can sell, just like before the wage increase and to just accept the lower profits on each unit sold due to the increased wages. Any other option results in less overall profit. There is no reason for the owners to buy less labor because the price goes up.

. . . by this logic, the wage can be raised without limit and there is no point where the company lays off workers or hires any fewer workers than before. There is nothing in this analysis which puts any limit on how high the wage can be raised before it finally forces a reduced production level.

Or, possibly, the logic here is that the same production level is maintained, no matter how low the profit goes ["just accept the lower profits"], until finally, when there is only one penny of profit, then suddenly -- POOF! -- the company turns into a pumpkin.

Huge straw man argument. Of course that same straw man works both ways. Eliminate minimum wage and we could have everyone working for nothing.

No, there's no "both ways" argument here. The argument against minimum wage sets out clearly what the lower limit is on the wage level, and so it is not an argument for ever-lower wage level. The anti-minimum-wage argument is not that wages should decrease without limit but that they should be set by supply-and-demand rather than an artificial floor that props them up higher than the supply-and-demand level.

The supply-and-demand level is however much is necessary to attract the necessary workers to get the work done at a certain level of quality. That puts a floor on the wage level, which in the U.S. is much higher than "nothing" for virtually all jobs. In some cases it might be only $3 or $4 per hour, but for most jobs it would be close to the current minimum wage level.

But SimpleDon's argument does not state what the maximum level is for wage increases before an increase makes the extra hiring unprofitable and the company is better off to not hire that extra worker.

Here is his more extended argument, in case something was left out in the quote above. The important section is bolded:

The idea of diminishing marginal productivity is the idea that at some point the amount of product produced by adding a unit of resources will start to diminish. In other words hiring additional workers will increase the production by a set amount for each new hire up to a certain number. After that the amount of increased production from each new hire will decrease. In fact, the extra production from each new hire will be less than the extra production from the next to last new hire.

The net result is that the number of workers that the firm is willing to hire depends on the going rate of the wage for the workers hired. It makes no sense to hire someone for $10 an hour if they only increase production by $9.50 an hour. That a company to maximize profit will keep hiring $10 an hour workers until the last hire's added product is $10 an hour at which point they will stop hiring. This added product is called the marginal product in econospeak, and it is called the law of diminishing marginal productivity as a result. Most of the time it is just referred to as marginal productivity or even marginal production or marginal product. It is a way for economists to make a simple idea obscure, so that only economists understand it.

It is this argument that is applied against the minimum wage, that if the wage is increased then some of the existing workers have to be laid off because the wage has been pushed above the marginal productivity of those last workers hired. It is this behind the often repeated phrase that "when the price of something goes up people buy less of it." It is not because the price went up by the theory, but that the cost, the wage, went up because of some non-market force, the law increasing the minimum wage in our case, and forced the layoff of X number of workers because the wage is now above the marginal productivity of the last X number of workers hired.

And what does this have to do with the setting of prices and wages by supply and demand? Because in spite of your protests to the contrary, the theory of the free market doesn't allow cost plus pricing or cost plus pricing to set a floor for the prices set by supply and demand. But it isn't your failing, it is a indication that something is wrong with the neoclassical theory of prices and wages set by supply and demand. There is no allowance in the theory for cost plus pricing. The theory is that supply and demand set the prices and the wages, period. And yet you realize based on your own experience that in the real world most prices are cost plus and producers can't operate for long at a loss. Neither are taken into account in the theories supporting the free market setting prices and wages by supply and demand.

Back to marginal productivity. You probably know enough to realize that this concept is wrong too. In fact, the question of whether such marginal products exist in the real world is solely an empirical question. And the empirical answer is no, they generally don't exist. Studies of actual manufacturing industries are unanimous in finding that worker productivity is constant for the personnel hired. That it is not diminished for the last employees hired as marginal productivity says. And you probably already knew this.

But see what this does to the argument against the minimum wage. If the productivity of the workers employed is the same then it would be stupid for the owner to lay off workers when the wage is forced up. The owner by doing so would not only be giving up the profit lost to the increase in the wages, they also would be giving up the profits from the additional units that the laid off workers would have produced. The best option would be to continue to produce the number of units that they can sell, just like before the wage increase and to just accept the lower profits on each unit sold due to the increased wages. Any other option results in less overall profit. There is no reason for the owners to buy less labor because the price goes up.

In fairness to neoclassical economists I have to tell you that they have known about the flaws in marginal productivity since pretty much about the time that it was proposed a couple of hundred years ago or so. But it keeps popping up because it is taught in introductory economics courses, the ubiquitous "Econ 101" that we are always hearing about. Neoclassical economists in fact explain the problem with the minimum wage using a more sophisticated and equally wrong theory involving the trade off between labor costs and capital investment. You have read a version of it here simplified as "if you raise the minimum wage more jobs will be lost to automation."

In any of the above argument, where does SimpleDon's argument set any limit on how high the wage can go and still produce a net profit for the company? The only qualification is that the "productivity of the worker" must stay the same, but that figure is independent of the worker's wage. If the wage is increased a hundred-fold or a thousand-fold, that does not reduce the "productivity" of the worker."

(Or, if "productivity" is defined as some kind of "profit" left over after the cost is subtracted, like the labor cost, then obviously this "productivity" decreases directly with any wage increase, and so the statement "There is no reason for the owners to buy less labor because the price goes up" makes no sense.)

The quote argues that "it would be stupid for the owner to lay off workers when the wage is forced up" -- but it doesn't give any logical limit on how high that wage is "forced up." By the logic presented, the owner, or the company, has to realize the same profit no matter how high the wage is increased, and any wage increase has to be granted by the company, or is in the company's profit interest. I.e., "The best option would be to continue to produce the number of units that they can sell," rather than lay off workers or reduce hiring in response to the MW increase.

In other words, at the higher wage level, it is always in the company's interest to keep the same amount of production going, with the same number of workers, or increasing them if this was already the plan, because it's always in the company's interest to keep that production going no matter how high the labor cost may rise. Even if it doubles. Or triples. Or . . . . and there is no limit set on how high the wage can go without this still being the case.

But the opposing argument, to allow low wages set by the market, DOES SET A LIMIT on how low wages should go. And that limit is already set by the market, without outside interference, and it's in the company's interest to pay no less than this lower limit level, because if it does, it will lose production and revenue and profit. At that low wage level, the labor cost is worth paying in return for the extra production and the resulting revenue. This revenue pays that labor cost and returns profit to the company.

Of course the company would not be able to sell its products because no one would have money to buy them but that's just a minor quibble.

It's worse than a minor quibble, it is babble nonsense. The company does not get its revenue from the money it pays to workers. The purpose of paying workers, and sometimes increasing the wage to them, is not to provide them with money to buy the company's product. It is not the concern of the company to provide people with money so they can buy the company's product.

Rather, it pays the workers, and sometimes increases the wage level, in order to get the needed work done so it can produce more and serve consumers. Getting the production done to serve consumers is the aim of the company -- or making a profit by serving consumers -- not providing consumers or workers or someone with spending money. It is not the company's concern whether the workers spend their money or what they spend it on. The company's concern is only to get the production done in order to make more profit.

The problem is that humans have a built in cost to being human.

That's not the company's concern. Sometimes it replaces those humans with robots which have lower costs. The company's concern is to get the work done, not provide someone with the means to pay their "cost to being human." If that cost is not worth paying, the company gets rid of that human. The company has no obligation to babysit that human and pay that "cost of being human" anymore than a customer at a store has an obligation to pay the store owner the "cost of being human" to that store owner. Any buyer, including a buyer of labor, pays the lowest price they can find while still getting the quality they were seeking. No buyer is obligated to pay anymore than this lowest price set in the market.

. . . it's an inhumane philosophy. Economic systems should serve society (humans), not the other way around.

The market system of letting supply-and-demand set the prices, including the price for labor, is the most humane economic system and best serves humans, because it maximizes production of the stuff humans want while at the same minimizing the prices they have to pay for the stuff.

What is "inhumane" and does not serve humans is to single out one class of buyers, i.e., employers, and impose a rule on them that they must pay some ill-defined "cost of being human" to the seller, when no other buyers in the economy are singled out for such a penalty.

When we single out any class of producers in the economy and bash them and punish them with discriminatory demands like this, we can expect that this class will decrease in number and that those who remain in this class will shrink from serving in this role as much as they otherwise would. And thus, we are all made worse off because of this bashing and discrimination against the employer class, because there is so much work that could get done that is prevented because of this punishment against them, or the threat of such punishment toward anyone who might consider being an employer.

Last edited:

SimpleDon

Here is confirmation published in the Wall Street Journal, that all of the inflation that we have had since the recession has come from increased profits. Only 8% of the inflation is attributed to wage increases. All other sources of possible inflation was in deflation at minus 8% balancing wage inflation resulting in the claim that profits has contributed all of the inflation since the recession. . . . Here is the article. http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2014/0...osts-just-yet/

The methodology of this article is worthless. You cannot determine what the cause of the inflation is by looking at whose income went up more.

It is possible to have price DEflation and yet also massive profit increase. Or vice versa. If you made more income than your neighbor, it doesn't mean that you caused more infation than he did. Also if sector A got richer than sector B, it doesn't mean that sector A caused more inflation.

The inflation over the last 10-20 years has been relatively small, which is good for consumers, and if this was accompanied by wider inequality and stagnant wages, the conclusion to be drawn, if you insist on drawing mindless conclusions from the empirical data, has to be that lower wages and greater income inequality has benefited consumers, and so if the Fed is seeking more "tools" for its "tool kit" to make the economy work better, it should adopt policies to increase income inequality and suppress wages.

There are many possible scenarios, and it is pretentious of anyone, no matter how many credentials or Ph.D's they boast, to claim they have identified the cause of any particular inflation and know which class or sector of the economy to prop up and which class to blame and punish.

What we know for sure, just as we know consumers prefer to pay lower prices rather than higher, is that if any production cost (labor?) is propped up higher than necessary to get that production done it will unnecessarily also prop up the prices consumers have to pay for the product.

Where are our inflation warriors who are so concerned with price increases from an increase in the minimum wage? I expect that they will be here any minute saying that we must suppress profits to prevent inflation.

No, it's not appropriate to suppress anyone's profit or wages or any prices in order to control inflation, and no "inflation warriors" demanded that wages be suppressed. If one sector of the economy gained income over another, it might be because it performed better at creating value than that other sector. Suppressing or punishing those who perform better is never the solution to anything.

There are ways to control inflation without artificially targeting certain prices to be suppressed. There are ways to reduce or increase the money supply or money circulation overall without tinkering with any particular prices or wages or interest rates or other prices, or singling out any sector of the economy for special reward or punishment.

The minimum wage is an ARTIFICIAL propping up of a price paid to a targeted class, just as a minimum profit law would be, and so it contributes to whatever current inflation there is -- or in a period of DEflation, that artificial high labor cost drives the rate higher toward zero. Any such ARTIFICIAL propping-up of a price has to cause harmful inflation, i.e., unnecessary higher prices consumers have to pay (i.e., higher than they would have been otherwise).

So there's no need to SUPPRESS anything -- just stop this artificial propping-up of those prices (for labor or for anything else).

SimpleDon said:
And what does this have to do with the setting of prices and wages by supply and demand? Because in spite of your protests to the contrary, the theory of the free market doesn't allow cost plus pricing or cost plus pricing to set a floor for the prices set by supply and demand. But it isn't your failing, it is a indication that something is wrong with the neoclassical theory of prices and wages set by supply and demand. There is no allowance in the theory for cost plus pricing. The theory is that supply and demand set the prices and the wages, period. And yet you realize based on your own experience that in the real world most prices are cost plus and producers can't operate for long at a loss. Neither are taken into account in the theories supporting the free market setting prices and wages by supply and demand.

Back to marginal productivity. You probably know enough to realize that this concept is wrong too. In fact, the question of whether such marginal products exist in the real world is solely an empirical question. And the empirical answer is no, they generally don't exist. Studies of actual manufacturing industries are unanimous in finding that worker productivity is constant for the personnel hired. That it is not diminished for the last employees hired as marginal productivity says. And you probably already knew this.
Yep. When marginalism was first mooted, actual factory owners dismissed it - one describing it as

“the product of the itching imaginations of uninformed and inexperienced armchair theorisers.”

But the best bit comes next IMO, when neoclassical economists say 'OK, sure, real firms don't work like that. But entire markets or industries behave *as if* prices and wages were set by Econ101 supply and demand, marginal revenue etc.' ..Because that, as Sraffa et al pointed out, undermines the model entirely. Because you cannot then assume independent supply and demand curves with a unique optimum equilibrium price. More like a different demand curve intersecting any point on the supply curve.

It means that, for example, it isn't axiomatic that any MW raise must reduce demand for labour. You could still say that a big enough raise would reduce demand, but (duh) there was never any argument about that.

What is this bullshit about progressives wanting to eat the seed corn now? We have auto lathes. We have CNC machines. We have factories. We have the corn and the power plants and mines and the fast food places and the farms. Those aren't going to just go away because people get paid more. People want to do work, mostly. The unemployed want jobs and not just because rich people cease getting richer. You must have a dreadfully low opinion of people if you think that we don't want to do work. I seek work out, and when unemployed and when not needing money I still work. Many who win the lottery attempt to retain their 'old' jobs, oftentimes trying to volunteer their time for free. Being a worthless easy chair rider is the occupation only of people who have been taught at great length how to do so without going stir-crazy, and us working people don't have that kind of time. There are people who have learned techniques to dispose of time. Generally, they hate their lives, and would take work if offered despite that; they comprise the entirety of persons who I know who have no job and are not actively seeking one, which are a 5% minority of the sum of unemployed who I know.

People will do work. In fact we are driven to do work, and need work done. The problem is the people who want to not do work. Mostly those consist of 'investors' who don't actually do anything. People would expend the effort to do the things regardless. The limiting factor of human enterprise isn't that the people wouldn't do it, it's the opportunity cost of the things we would end up doing. But that is up to society how we mete permission to spend opportunity capital, not some group that are the distant descendants of people whose greatest accomplishment was merely being somewhere or doing a thing FIRST.

What is this bullshit about progressives wanting to eat the seed corn now? We have auto lathes. We have CNC machines. We have factories. We have the corn and the power plants and mines and the fast food places and the farms. Those aren't going to just go away because people get paid more. People want to do work, mostly. The unemployed want jobs and not just because rich people cease getting richer.

In other words you want to eat the seed corn.

Sure, those things exist--but they wear out. New things are developed that need new tools. You want to eat that capital so there will be no new tools.

In the long run your path leads to the extinction of the human race.

You must have a dreadfully low opinion of people if you think that we don't want to do work. I seek work out, and when unemployed and when not needing money I still work.

Some do. Most don't. Don't think you're representative of the average person--you're here, after all. The average person doesn't participate in things like these forums.

In other words you want to eat the seed corn.

Sure, those things exist--but they wear out. New things are developed that need new tools. You want to eat that capital so there will be no new tools.

In the long run your path leads to the extinction of the human race.

You must have a dreadfully low opinion of people if you think that we don't want to do work. I seek work out, and when unemployed and when not needing money I still work.

Some do. Most don't. ...

Citation needed.

You keep asserting this; but you have provided not one single glimmer of evidence for it.

Please stop asserting it, or start backing it up.

Back
Top Bottom