• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Mississippi Passes "More Dead Kids Please" bill. Texas responds w/ "hold my beer"

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what? I didn't say anyone was harmed. Are we supposed to just automatically accept all claims as true unless they've been shown to be harmful? Does "My pet Spot is a cat; therefore all animals named Spot are cats." become a valid argument if the guy who points out "But my dog is named Spot too." isn't showing anyone would actually be harmed by his dog being a cat?
The problem here, and it keeps getting pointed out, is that "cat" is an invented category here. The boundaries of cat are arbitrary, even if the circumstances to allow the arbitration to shift are mountainous.

The problem is the fact that we are using "woman" and "man" and the categories aren't actually closed here, so when you say "they are a woman" what you are really doing is using figurative language.

What you are actually doing is replacing simile with a metaphor, ie "that person is LIKE the platonic woman, moreso than they are LIKE the platonic man", never mind that these platonics are created from... You guessed it, an arbitrary population selection.

It's a failure to preserve figurative language, and failing likewise to understand that you are inserting imagination where only mechanism belongs.

The problem is that given how obsessive and absolutist and essentialist people are, especially over gender and sex, people will tend to take offense if you point out something they wish to see as binary all-or-nothing is actually shades of gray; they will shit in your mouth and call you a liar despite the fact that the categories they know they see are as illusory as race.
By your reasoning, all terms and definitions are arbitrarily decided. The 'classic' definition of male and of female is based on easily observed physical characteristics as well as functions. The fact that not all individuals fit neatly into one category or the other does not change this. This holds true even when describing plants and....tools and implements which are sometimes described as having a male end or a female end, depending on which fits into the other. Or at least that was how certain tools and implements were referred to by my father's generation. Not all plants fit into male or female, either. A lot are hermaphrodite, having reproductive structures of both male and female plant.

At the same time, it has been known for millennia that not all individuals fit neatly into male or female. Indeed, as has been mentioned several times in this thread, some cultures had and some still have words to describe such individuals. Those cultures are more wise than western based cultures today, in that respect.

Given the emotional response expressed when say, women must choose whether or not to undergo mastectomy and then whether or not to have 'reconstructive' surgery and the absolute venom with which such topics as circumcision are discussed and debated, it is not surprising that discussing gender reassignment surgery evokes so much emotion.
But does it really? This outrage on transgender is pretty new. And the word outrage is accurate. It makes me wonder where it was 10 years ago, or even 5 years ago. The alt-right weren't pro-transgender, but this rage, it feels so manufactured and fake.
I dunno where you were 10 years ago, but it was here when I first joined the forums, in fact they were already beating war drums indicating that fever pitch against the trans community was coming in the form of sports and prisons arguments.

Even back then, the discussion was always a DARVO when it came to cutting.

I feel like my entire membership here has been, year in and year out, one thread about trans panic after another, building, with a half-life on posts, interspersed with discussions panicking about the gays.

It was always going to be trans people after they lost their grip on the false projection they perpetrated on gays. We all knew this, more than a decade ago. I would say as far back as late 00's with the Jessica Manning incident?

It feels manufactured, but the sort of manufacturing that you know is happening, like in Brand New Cherry Flavor, the producer manufactures ways and excuses to steal control over the film project, when it's really because she took his hand off her leg in the car. There was never any question about it, just about whether she could get that slimy piece of shit to actually admit it.

It's the most disgusting kind of "manufactured", the kind there's no excuse for or hiding the fact it happened.

Early stories suggested a later tone and plan of attack, and then some decade or more later they pick up pitch, as the public was primed to hear the spinning and the lies some decade ago.

Maybe dry-run/dress rehearsal/execution fits better?
It's been a thing, but it is close to being a centralized discussion point of the alt-right / GOP. The alt-right and their media are obsessing over it. Naming names, putting targets on people.

People were against it, now they are raging over it. It wasn't a smooth transition.
Maybe it seems that way to you, but it WAS a rather smooth transition into that state.

The major battleground positions politically are Abortion, Gays, Trans, Drugs, and Ethnic Minorities.

It's not that people were against it and now they are raging, it's more that they always were raging about something, and the dog caught the car on abortion.

Combined with the inability to vilify the L, the B, or the G, due to the political landscape changing in 2010, and the failure of the drug war, this is what's left: trans folks.

It was always in the buffer, and it's neither sudden nor unexpected. It's as scheduled, right on time.

According to Google Trends, it was a minor issue in the US until the beginning of 2014, since when it's been an issue.
But don't call it a social contagen.
Get a grip. While this is a hot button issue, it is for only a very small segment of society. Yet, legislators such as the majority on Mississippi, let their social "contagion" dull their sensibilities to enact stupid legislation in order to signal their "virtue" and the small numbers of raving constituents.

A saner and more humane approach instead of outright banning is to mandate best practices standards for any health care procedure.

... when you say "they are a woman" what you are really doing is using figurative language.
What you are actually doing is replacing simile with a metaphor,...
It's a failure to preserve figurative language, and failing likewise to understand that you are inserting imagination where only mechanism belongs.
... I didn't say "they are a woman"; ...
My point here is that generally, there is and has always been a variety of interests as regards hormonal change.
... We should allow this.
... we should do this following some period of delay.
... We should allow this too, under the same conditions.
... I don't think hormones should necessarily be about that.
I think they should be about...
... I think adults thinking of changing hormones should have to...
... nor having any ethical obligation to...
That's an awful lot of "should"s to try to justify all the "you"s in your previous post with. I was making "is" statements. "Ought" to "is" arguments are rarely any better than "is" to "ought" arguments. So when your point here is some point that isn't actually about me and my posts, how about leaving me out of it?

... when you say "they are a woman" what you are really doing is using figurative language.
What you are actually doing is replacing simile with a metaphor,...
... I didn't say "they are a woman"; ...
My point here is that generally, there is and has always been a variety of interests as regards hormonal change.
... we should do this following some period of delay.
... We should allow this too, under the same conditions.
... I don't think hormones should necessarily be about that.
I think they should be about...
... I think adults thinking of changing hormones should have to...
... nor having any ethical obligation to...
That's an awful lot of "should"s to try to justify all the "you"s in your previous post with. I was making "is" statements. "Ought" to "is" arguments are rarely any better than "is" to "ought" arguments. So when your point here is some point that isn't actually about me and my posts, how about leaving me out of it?
You make no argument with "is". None. Argument on the subject of justification of any state, current or modified, comes from an ought, so if you don't have one, you have no business debating in the thread about what ought be done for and about trans kids, irrespective of what is being done, which is clearly fucking evil.

Prevaricating on other bullshit about whether people should be expected to be "trans" to access is not necessary, especially when making allusions to further unnecessary decisions that the thing we are calling "trans" here, because it's the vogue term, are really just all members of the class "wants to change hormones from default anatomical process".

Unless you can produce "ought not", the position to stand on is either "let them do whatever, assuming they consult with mental health professionals first."

That's it. That's all there is. So what are you here to argue about? Are you just here to jerk around and shit on the subject of the thread, which is supposedly about efforts in various states to prevent only some people from physiological situations that they allow for others of the same age and maturity range, and other peer classifiers.

It is about the state taking measures to stand between, to declare an OUGHT: people OUGHT always accept the shape of their body, and the chemicals it produces.

I strike it through, because it is a lie. When someone's body produces excessive alcohol as a byproduct of eating grains, for example, or when their anatomy produces a chemical which causes a tumor to grow that will consume excessive bodily resources, or which itself produces a toxic byproduct are trivially obvious examples where we widely acknowledge a person's right to seek redress even over the function of their own body, through chemical or structural alteration.

You can either provide real positions on ought here, based on a goal. When you can establish a goal, "is" can be intersected with the goal to produce oughts, in the form of ought (apply strategic model) for (%chance of) goal. For instance I think in the puzzles thread you had some insight or another for what prisoners ought do in a particular life/death scenario, derived from a goal (life > death), and an IS, a scenario description.

Goals can either be justified a lot of ways but in the absence of "harms none" by some strong and satisfying definition of harm, "I can, so I will, and you can't stop me" is generally recognized as a fucked up non-justification and wrong, and may actually be the basis of the human idea of evil.

Also, it is hypocritical to ask I leave you out of "it" when you decide "it" is the subject of thread you seem to want to be into.

My thought here is that we should find rules we can agree on rather than talking about what are apparently rules we can't.

It is unacceptable to the goals of "trans" individuals, here the entire class of those who intercede on their hormones actively, a class which includes myself, to force long term consequences of exposure to hormones they have vociferously objected to exposure to and to which they continue to object. It is violation of informed consent to decide between equally livable lives and morphologies which they will live with for them.

It is further unacceptable to the goals of such people to maintain their privacy in exposing the shape of a genitalia, especially when hostility is a common immediate reaction despite innocuity. It is a violation of their actual safety in a place where they will unavoidably be challenged physically for their anatomical choices.

It is unacceptable to the goals of people who don't want to be made pregnant to have to expose their genitals for ablutions while people who can make them pregnant are immediately about. People have a desert to consent or not to their exposure to sperms.

It is unacceptable to the goals of people who wish to compete fairly with those of similar competitive advantages to be asked to compete with those who are recently exposed to banned steroids to the league in banned quantities. It is a violation of the foundational principles of gaming and good sportsmanship to expect people who don't use steroids to compete with those who do.

It is unacceptable to the goals of having the widest possible range of choices when one reaches the age of majority where they are allowed to make particular choices, to allow decisions that close choices permanently before the age at which they can even make them. Because reality dictates, is of the form, that we cannot go back and unmake the mistakes of the past without great and painful efforts.

That's the ought I operate on, because there is a set of goal conflicts there which must all be satisfied in the solution.

We can throw away such goals as "fails to feel safe" because anything can make someone feel unsafe. It can mean anything to anyone, and is too vague in this way to be considered as being reliably done in good faith. Such otherwise exclusion of all goals, and trivializes goal based thinking to nonsense. People have a direct and natural right to all feelings of anxiety concerning that which actually makes them unsafe. When we can demonstrate that is not the case (thanks @Loren Pechtel !), There is an obligation to read the evidence and accept it, or refute it through academic debate, not political debate.

We can throw away "fails to exclude that which has visible (nonfunctional) irrelevant anatomy" because the anatomy is irrelevant to the mechanisms of the behavior of the individual and nonfunctional. Treating that which is irrelevant as relevant is contradictory on the surface of it. This is a good example of a goal directly designed as unacceptable to the above!

We can throw away "fails to constrain system to man/woman" because as sta directly touch on something that is necessary and sufficient to either "man" or "woman". Men don't  deserve ownership of all feats accomplished of strength and skill in the presence of testosterone. Nor do women deserve ownership of all feats of strength and skill in the absence of it or presence of estrogen.

There is no justification of either desert, of some manner of exclusivity because no exclusivity exists between the classes. Again we are confronted with something that is hopelessly vague and can prove any claim, a trivialization of the whole goal oriented prove any position.

Likewise any such goal exclusion which can be used to arbitrarily declare any goal unacceptable can be hucked out.

So at the intersection of what we have left, the remaining goal exclusions, get us through to everything we need to restrict, and the way we need to disallow things, and the remainder of the class, quite large a remainder, gets to be applied so long as it doesn't get excluded by the above.

That closes the loop all the way to where I say kids should, ought, be allowed to pick their puberty. This is assuming they care to pick at all, but if they want to make a choice with consequences, such as to start on a hormone that will give them breasts, it should be at the age where most people are trusted to start making and observing others making decisions about, for example, who they show their breasts to.

We do not let 9 and 10 year olds flash breasts about, or make advertisements of sexuality using their breasts.

Generally we scold 12 and even 14 year olds when they are so irresponsible with their anatomy.

But lo, someone turns 15, and we start looking the other eye when they get in a room and let their boyfriend get a hand full, and when they turn 16 and 17, it's irresponsible to not make them take a fresh condom on every date, even if nothing should happen.

We have no business at that point from preventing accesa to hormones that give them power to make those decisions any longer.

All of that is based on an observation of reasonably unacceptable actions within the system.

According to Google Trends, it was a minor issue in the US until the beginning of 2014, since when it's been an issue.
It's not. It's organized hate to try to give people a reason to vote Republican.
If one political party supports mutliating children and the other opposes it; it's not hard how many would vote. Leave the children alone.

It's not. It's organized hate to try to give people a reason to vote Republican.
If one political party supports mutliating children and the other opposes it; it's not hard how many would vote. Leave the children alone.
<Removed>

It's been pointed out that WPATH is against mutilation of children, and the people that passed the bill in the OP have explicitly made a legal carve-out FOR mutilating kids.

<Removed>

Last edited by a moderator:
<Removed>

The Komodo analysis of insurance claims found 56 genital surgeries among patients ages 13 to 17 with a prior gender dysphoria diagnosis from 2019 to 2021. Among teens, “top surgery” to remove breasts is more common. In the three years ending in 2021, at least 776 mastectomies were performed in the United States on patients ages 13 to 17 with a gender dysphoria diagnosis, according to Komodo’s data analysis of insurance claims. This tally does not include procedures that were paid for out of pocket.

At least we all seem to agree that mutilation procedures on minors is wrong. So why is there opposition here on bills meant to stop it?

<Removed>

The Komodo analysis of insurance claims found 56 genital surgeries among patients ages 13 to 17 with a prior gender dysphoria diagnosis from 2019 to 2021. Among teens, “top surgery” to remove breasts is more common. In the three years ending in 2021, at least 776 mastectomies were performed in the United States on patients ages 13 to 17 with a gender dysphoria diagnosis, according to Komodo’s data analysis of insurance claims. This tally does not include procedures that were paid for out of pocket.

At least we all seem to agree that irreversable procedures on minors is wrong. So why is there opposition here on bills meant to stop it?
There isn't opposition to bills meant to "stop it". There is opposition to bills that explicitly enable it, while claiming to stop it. There is opposition to bills that stops the power of those minors to prevent a slew of irreversible change on their body until such a time as they are suitably able to make permanent decisions about how they are to irreversibly change.

There is opposition to bills that force that irreversible change and there is opposition to bills that deprive adults of making changes to their bodies.

But there is no opposition of any kind in this thread from anyone seeking the full rights of people to control their own body, to bills that prevent the mutilation of minors.

This is the second time in less than an hour you have had this pointed out to you: the bill legalizes and indemnifies folks specifically for mutilating minors, so long as it makes them look 'normal'.

Again, you double down on repeating dishonest material rather than just... Turning about and saying "holy shit, it's those other guys mutilating kids, what have I been doing all this time!"

There is opposition to bills that stops the power of those minors to prevent a slew of irreversible change on their body until such a time as they are suitably able to make permanent decisions about how they are to irreversibly change.
Ah, the Left and its forever war with Nature.

Gotta trans the gay away.

Evidence from the 10 available prospective follow-up studies from childhood to adolescence (reviewed in the study by Ristori and SteensmaCitation28) indicates that for ~80% of children who meet the criteria for GDC, the GD recedes with puberty. Instead, many of these adolescents will identify as non-heterosexual.

There is opposition to bills that stops the power of those minors to prevent a slew of irreversible change on their body until such a time as they are suitably able to make permanent decisions about how they are to irreversibly change.
Ah, the right and its forever war with intelligence.

If you belive that a person can change their sex, you are at war with Nature. You will not win.

If you belive that a person can change their sex, you are at war with Nature. You will not win.
What nonsense. There is a difference between gender and sex. And why are you babbling about a war with nature? The issue of transgender affects a very small portion of the world.

The position that transgender treatment for minors should be banned because there is the possibility of either malpractice with irreversible effects or regret on the part of the client is consistently applied to any medical treatment, there’d be no medicine at all - everyone loses due to that stupidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom