• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Modern Algebra

One of the reason for continued incorrect use of term "algebra" is its use in high schools. There is math and then there is algebra as something more advanced than "math", after that it is "higher" math, I am talking about russian schools. But there is no such distinction in university, it is all limited to school.
Maybe centuries ago "algebra" was meaningful but now it covers so many diverse topics that it's meaningless without further specification. And I think US higher education should abandon high school naming nomenclature, and in general they have done so.
Seriously, if someone comes to me and shows his transcript with "modern algebra" in it, I would have no fucking idea what that it, and so is everyone else, I would not know there was group theory in there. In fact group theory was created pretty late to be included into "modern" algebra, not to mention "ancient" algebra.

I do think that more than a month of study is better than not even a week, and while I'm sure you know 6 times 2 isn't 10, you aren't really helping the case for your reading comprehension.

Also "Modern Algebra" is a term is not meaningful in modern time. "Algebra" is not used by itself without further specification.
You should call it it "Introduction to (some) algebras" or at least "modern algebras"

No. Algebra is used by itself all the time, and modern algebra is a common term to denote the algebra developed in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. As for calling it "algebras", the ironic thing is that algebras are one of the few major algebraic structures that I won't be discussing at all...

It is not algebra, it's algebras.

You're seriously doubling down on this?

No, it is not algebras.

Algebras are examples of algebraic structures, while Algebra is an entire branch of mathematics.

Besides, wouldn't it be "algebrae"? :p

Back
Top Bottom