• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Modern Humans And Evolution

Is the ability to create two identical objects a break from a "natural" environment?

No. Next question?

You have given no justification for this opinion.

If it occurs nowhere else except in the human species how is it not a break from everything else?

Everything else being all other environments.

Please be specific.

Is the ability to create two identical objects a break from a "natural" environment?

No. Next question?

You have given no justification for this opinion.

If it occurs nowhere else except in the human species how is it not a break from everything else?

Everything else being all other environments.

Please be specific.

How about you be specific first about which environments you were thinking about when claiming that technology (and be it stone age technology) hasn't been a necessity for human survival for hundreds of millennia? Where's that real world Eden you've been having in mind?

But I'll humour you: how's "the ability to create two identical objects" (what ever that may be...) different from the ability to breathe oxygen. If it even is true that the first occurs in humans and nowhere else, so what? The ability to breathe in oxygen occurred in whatever was the first species to acquire it and no one else too, before it became cool. By your logic, that makes it the end of natural selection.

Again I know you want to change the subject.

This is about a trait that has never survived in any environment.

It is about the survival of a trait that could never survive before.

It is not about what humans have done to survive in new environments.

A distinction you seem to be blind to.

Again I know you want to change the subject.

This is about a trait that has never survived in any environment.

It is about the survival of a trait that could never survive before.

It is not about what humans have done to survive in new environments.

A distinction you seem to be blind to.

I am not changing the subject. I claim that our stone age ancestors ancestors have been relying on stone age technology as much as a diabetic today relies on pharmaceutical technology, that they survived only because they were well adapted to such a technological environment and without that technology, human evolution would have taken a very different path millions of years ago already.

You claim that modern humans could survive in some "natural" environments without the use of technology, that until a couple centuries or less ago, technology only served for enhancing comfort and/or expanding into less hospitable environments but wasn't as such a necessity. If you believe that, it should be easy to name one environment in which this is true - one environment in which, throughout the seasonal cycle, food that needs no tools to extract and no cooking to become edible is abundant and in which predators are no major threat. The one where you can buy hot dogs off the street doesn't count though.

If you can't name such an environment, you can't claim a distinction.

Just give me the geographical coordinates and the main available food sources throughout the seasons.

Back
Top Bottom