• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Morality is irrelevant to atheism

I don't see how morality, atheism or evolution are related to each other. You can have all, any two in combination, any one, or none of those positions.

I think this misconstrues the terms.

Morality and evolution are a chicken or the egg paradox. Atheism is a rejection(reconsideration?) of the social authority we construct to enforce our moral code of behavior.

The problem comes when this rejection of the authority is mistaken for a rejection of the code of behavior.

This is where it gets tiresome, because some asshole has to pop up and ask something like, "If there is no God or hell, why don't I kill or rape as many people as I want?"

The simple answer to this simple minded question is, "Apparently, you have."

That is indeed simple. And I guess it could even be true, if you define what people want as what they do. But another way of looking at it is that I don't kill or rape as many people as I want for the same reason I don't stay in bed as long as I want instead of going to work-- because there are man-made systems of incentives and disincentives in place which leverage my various, conflicting wants against each other. The asshole, assuming he's not just parroting some other person's talking points, is perhaps troubled by the very real fragility of merely earthly moral code enforcement structures. Clearly, there are people like akirk, who probably would never rape or kill even if the moral code enforcement structure was different, and people like me, who probably would do at least a bit of killing and raping, and people like Lawrence Singleton, who weren't even dissuaded by the current enforcement structure. So the code of behavior is in practice rejectable, and that's what it seems worries the asshole. They want a code of behavior that's universally compelling. Never mind the fact that even people who apparently accept the existence of God and hell have still been known to rape and kill in tremendous quantities. I guess they want the illusion of security, perhaps.

Well, we can argue semantics all day, but the OP is only saying that atheists are immoral.

Because, you know, only people who hand their conscience over to an unquestioned ideology are moral.

Morality and evolution are a chicken or the egg paradox. Atheism is a rejection(reconsideration?) of the social authority we construct to enforce our moral code of behavior.

The problem comes when this rejection of the authority is mistaken for a rejection of the code of behavior.

This is where it gets tiresome, because some asshole has to pop up and ask something like, "If there is no God or hell, why don't I kill or rape as many people as I want?"

The simple answer to this simple minded question is, "Apparently, you have."

That is indeed simple. And I guess it could even be true, if you define what people want as what they do. But another way of looking at it is that I don't kill or rape as many people as I want for the same reason I don't stay in bed as long as I want instead of going to work-- because there are man-made systems of incentives and disincentives in place which leverage my various, conflicting wants against each other. The asshole, assuming he's not just parroting some other person's talking points, is perhaps troubled by the very real fragility of merely earthly moral code enforcement structures. Clearly, there are people like akirk, who probably would never rape or kill even if the moral code enforcement structure was different, and people like me, who probably would do at least a bit of killing and raping, and people like Lawrence Singleton, who weren't even dissuaded by the current enforcement structure. So the code of behavior is in practice rejectable, and that's what it seems worries the asshole. They want a code of behavior that's universally compelling. Never mind the fact that even people who apparently accept the existence of God and hell have still been known to rape and kill in tremendous quantities. I guess they want the illusion of security, perhaps.

If no one ever violated the code of moral behavior, would we have one?

Consider the basic code of moral behavior(don't kill friends, don't steal from friends) to be postulates. The rest is theorems which follow from the postulates. As I said in a previous post, there is much to debate, once we see a need to define friend, kill, and stuff.

Can I kill a man if he is not my friend? Who do I have to convince of this poor guy's non-friend status, in order to receive general approval for killing him? Do I need approval before or after?

There is nothing in a moral code of behavior which prevents me from doing something I really want to do. The code defines the possible consequences of any action. Since the consequences are not certain, I can weigh options and decide if the reward is worth the risk.

I don't see how morality, atheism or evolution are related to each other. You can have all, any two in combination, any one, or none of those positions.

You may feel it tends to have those characteristics, just as a Christian may feel that Christians tend to be good people. But it's not that by definition. What happens if the social authority is atheist?

If I'm in a room full of rabid activists who believe religion to be a force for evil, or study in an institution run by same, then being an atheist doesn't involve questioning social authority at all, but embracing it. I've certainly met plenty of people who claim to be atheists, meet the criteria of atheists, and have little or no inclination to question anything. They're just atheists because all their friends are.

You may feel it tends to have those characteristics, just as a Christian may feel that Christians tend to be good people. But it's not that by definition. What happens if the social authority is atheist?

If I'm in a room full of rabid activists who believe religion to be a force for evil, or study in an institution run by same, then being an atheist doesn't involve questioning social authority at all, but embracing it. I've certainly met plenty of people who claim to be atheists, meet the criteria of atheists, and have little or no inclination to question anything. They're just atheists because all their friends are.

This comes under the heading of what difference does it make?

Religious people tend to believe their moral code of behavior is given by a higher power and to abide by it is an act of devotion and obedience. The non-believer thinks they adhere to the code because of their innate philosophical and intellectual ability to see right and wrong. What's the difference in their behavior? There are always people in the middle who don't give it a lot of thought, one way or the other.

As for atheist social authority, what is that? Is there anyone who refrains from murder because it happens to be a violation of their local criminal code?

Social authority of any kind, just doesn't have that kind of pull. Earthly concerns just can't offer eternal damnation, real of imagined. Criminal statutes help us determine on which side of the street to park and other tedious chores of living close to other people. Where to park is not a matter of conscience, in the same way as killing and robbing your neighbor.

This comes under the heading of what difference does it make?

Religious people tend to believe their moral code of behavior is given by a higher power and to abide by it is an act of devotion and obedience. The non-believer thinks they adhere to the code because of their innate philosophical and intellectual ability to see right and wrong.

Yeah, except that religious people also use philosophy and intellectual ability. There are many criticisms you can make of the great reams of theological output over the centuries, but anti-intellectual isn't really one of them. That's mainly a stereotype of US evangelicals and doesn't represent religion as a whole. And if you've never met a bone-headed atheist who bases his opinions on devotion and obedience to SCIENCE! without any ability or desire to examine those opinions, then you need to get out more.

As for atheist social authority, what is that? Is there anyone who refrains from murder because it happens to be a violation of their local criminal code?

Yes, although technically they are sociopaths.

Social authority of any kind, just doesn't have that kind of pull. Earthly concerns just can't offer eternal damnation, real of imagined. Criminal statutes help us determine on which side of the street to park and other tedious chores of living close to other people. Where to park is not a matter of conscience, in the same way as killing and robbing your neighbour.

We have a scale, with murder towards one end, and parking violations at the other. You clearly see murder as a moral issue, and parking not. For context, I see both as moral issues. But the interesting stuff is in the middle. Is insurance fraud a moral issue? How about shop lifting? Tax returns? Not buying a lawnmower because you know you can borrow your neighbour's, even if that's inconvenient to them? If you set the bar of morality quite low, to the level of parking violations, then you get a different result than if you set it quite high, and treat any act that doesn't immediately hurt someone as being ok (so theft is fine, as long as the victim is rich or insured). So I think social authority does have a great deal of pull. What you seem to be hinting at here is a split between absolute moral authority, and conditional moral judgement.

That is the split I find interesting from a moral philosophy viewpoint. How each tends to deal with moral issues. The absolute moral authority versus conditional moral relativity.

The religious often struggle to deal with the universe in terms of moral absolutes. If you have an all-powerful deity, then wrong is wrong, irrespective of other issues like whether harm was done. The end result is a series of definitive answers to moral questions that are extremely inflexible and often don't get followed.

The stereotypical atheist on the other hand, tends to see morality as a human construct, and thus conditional and relative. Parking offences are simply a guide on how to interact with each other, and may be ignored if the inconvenience is high and the chance of getting caught is low. Murder is extremely inconvenient, particularly for the dead guy, and so should be avoided. The result of this is simply that people, forced by their belief system to evaluate every choice on the fly, will frequently make mistakes and may buckle under pressure, making their morals less reliable and useful than those around them.

It may simply come down to whether you'd prefer other people to use their own judgement, and decide differently from you, or use a pre-made judgement, and bone-headedly do the wrong thing when the codified rule fails to live up to the complexity of the real world.

In practice, of course, these are stereotypes, and people use a mix of absolute judgement (Murder is wrong) and flexible conditionals (Speeding laws should be obeyed - unless I'm in a hurry). Which is remarkably inconsistent of them, but there you go. But it does make morality and atheism two different and separate subjects.

It may simply come down to whether you'd prefer other people to use their own judgement, and decide differently from you, or use a pre-made judgement, and bone-headedly do the wrong thing when the codified rule fails to live up to the complexity of the real world.

In practice, of course, these are stereotypes, and people use a mix of absolute judgement (Murder is wrong) and flexible conditionals (Speeding laws should be obeyed - unless I'm in a hurry). Which is remarkably inconsistent of them, but there you go. But it does make morality and atheism two different and separate subjects.

I don't see what my preferences have to do with it. It's not as if I have a choice in any of this.

No more than morality and religion are two different and separate subjects. As far as a moral code of behavior is considered, there is no difference between a religious believer and an atheist.

Atheism does not command any particular morality, but that is actually why morality and atheism are highly relevant to each other.

Theism inherently creates an authoritarian structure by which all factual truths and moral precepts are decreed by the unquestionable authority of God. But since there is no basis for knowing God's will, that will is simply invented. Thus theism means that morality is a set of authoritarian decrees by some persons that all others must blindly follow, no matter how destructive those decrees are to those who follow them of to others.

What atheism means is freedom from that authoritarian system, freedom and responsibility to create a more defensible, just, and coherent system of ethics grounded in carefully considered principles and values rather than an authorities arbitrary and self-serving will. And also a system that is free to evolve and incorporate new factual knowledge about reality, which is critical because how values and goals relate to specific behaviors is determined by those factual realities.

Non-theistic ethics are responsible for all of the massive progress in ethics and principles of justice over the past several centuries. We may still sometime act in the heinously immoral, racist, sexist, and genocidal ways advocated by the Bible, but at least most of the modern secular world now recognizes such acts as immoral and that references to the Bible, God or other religious authority has no bearing on whether such acts should be allowed.

Atheism does not command any particular morality, but that is actually why morality and atheism are highly relevant to each other.

Theism inherently creates an authoritarian structure by which all factual truths and moral precepts are decreed by the unquestionable authority of God. But since there is no basis for knowing God's will, that will is simply invented. Thus theism means that morality is a set of authoritarian decrees by some persons that all others must blindly follow, no matter how destructive those decrees are to those who follow them of to others.

What atheism means is freedom from that authoritarian system, freedom and responsibility to create a more defensible, just, and coherent system of ethics grounded in carefully considered principles and values rather than an authorities arbitrary and self-serving will. And also a system that is free to evolve and incorporate new factual knowledge about reality, which is critical because how values and goals relate to specific behaviors is determined by those factual realities.

I'm going to play devil's advocate here.

While it's nice to think of religion as being simply blind unreasoning faith, except in very rare cases that isn't really how it works. The religious discuss and analyse their own beliefs extensively, and produce reams of discussion material on the subject. So while there is certainly a sense of adhering to a common set of values and conclusions based on same, such adherence is not necessarily blind.

Meanwhile, over in atheism, atheists are free to create a coherent system of ethics, principles and values for themselves and other atheists to adhere to. But most don't do any of that themselves - they simply adhere to someone else's just as the religious do. And in reality those systems are less considered and less analysed than those of the religious, which tend to have evolved over many hundreds of years. If your only objection to them is that you feel religious doctrine is self-serving, then you're really objecting to the content of the moral system, not it's origin.

That leaves atheism with it's great ability to choose your values rather than have them issued to you. But do people choose values? I mean do you sit down and decide for yourself whether harm to others is something you should avoid? What could such a contemplation ever be based on? All values either come down to what an acquaintance described as 'The Master or the Void'. Either your value judgements are based on some absolute authority, typically religious, or they're based on nothing at all. Atheism avoids the Master quite neatly, but only by promoting the idea that morals shouldn't be based on anything solid at all. Some people may find that a hard sell.

If values are instead based on our instincts, honed over thousands of years of evolution, then we don't really choose them, and we can expect to find generally the same moral principles in theism as in atheism. When we sit down and contemplate, we're just doing a more personalised version of what religious scholars have done for centuries, Which brings us back to disliking specific religious morality because of it's specific content, it's age, or it's patriarchy, rather than any distinction between atheism and religion in terms of the kind the process that was involved.

Non-theistic ethics are responsible for all of the massive progress in ethics and principles of justice over the past several centuries.

why would you think that. And does that mean that theistic ethics were responsible for all the reforms before then? If so, why did they suddenly stop?

We may still sometime act in the heinously immoral, racist, sexist, and genocidal ways advocated by the Bible, but at least most of the modern secular world now recognizes such acts as immoral and that references to the Bible, God or other religious authority has no bearing on whether such acts should be allowed.

The thing is, most of the religious world doesn't practice those ways either. I mean how many priests do you think regularly stone people to death for eating beef on Friday, approaching a church altar while wearing spectacles, or committing adultery?

Atheists have stated that their "only" claim is that they do not believe in God because there is no
"proof" that God exists.

If evolution explains the origin of humans, then morality is irrelevant. Only survival and procreation
count.

Moreover, Charles Darwin propounded an extraordinarily racist prediction, viz. that blacks would soon
become extinct by virtue of their inferiority, being close to the apes, as Darwin described them.

Arguably one of the most successful groups of humans, in Darwinian terms, would have to be
Muslim terrorists. You atheists can't judge them! No they're just following their successful evolutionary
prerogative.

Please don't direct any of your comments to me. They're overwhelmingly disingenuous and giggly.
Besides, it is patently unfair for dozens of people to overwhelm one person with challenges, questions,
and.... giggly one-liners.

If there are any Christian conservatives here, they should add their comments. I doubt that there are more than
a token few.

Your knowledge of Evolution is scant.

Evolutionary Biologists say nothing about social evolution. And Darwin loathed the term "survival of the fittest." And it was not his. You must remember that evolution is based on three things: replication; variation; and finally, selection. And it has no purpose, no guiding hand. ALL evolutionary inherited traits begin as Gentetic Mutations. That is right: it is mustations that got us here. Homo Sapiens. We are the lone surviving sub-species of the genus homo. Out of 27! Going back some 7 million years to australopithecus afarensis.

Also remember that 99% of ALL species of plants and animals (flora and fauna) that have ever lived on this planet over the past 3 billion years have gone extinct.

In this regards we are truly special. The Last Apes Standing.

Evolution in no way diminishes the importance of morality in society. It simply does not address it. it is apples and oranges. Two different disciplines: Biology and Sociology. Or Philosophy.

Us agnostics and believers in Evolution can place just as much importance on Morality as ANY christian. Since when does understanding how science and Biology work denigrate one's committment to living a moral life? Since never, is the answer. Because it does not.

The problem with religion is that it teaches people to be OK with not understanding the World. (credit to Richard Dawkins!)

If no one ever violated the code of moral behavior, would we have one?

Consider the basic code of moral behavior(don't kill friends, don't steal from friends) to be postulates. The rest is theorems which follow from the postulates. As I said in a previous post, there is much to debate, once we see a need to define friend, kill, and stuff.

Can I kill a man if he is not my friend? Who do I have to convince of this poor guy's non-friend status, in order to receive general approval for killing him? Do I need approval before or after?

There is nothing in a moral code of behavior which prevents me from doing something I really want to do. The code defines the possible consequences of any action.

That seems so vague as to make moral codes useless to individuals. But then, I can't really figure out how to translate your theory into anything that goes on in a person's mind. I understand that there is a desire for predictability. But that demands something more than possible consequences. It demands probability estimates, if not guarantees. If the consequences of violating a given code are avoidable, then what relevance is that code? Whose code is it?

Since the consequences are not certain, I can weigh options and decide if the reward is worth the risk.

Where do deontological ethics fit into this account? Where does an individual person's conscience come in?

I'm going to play devil's advocate here.

While it's nice to think of religion as being simply blind unreasoning faith, except in very rare cases that isn't really how it works. The religious discuss and analyse their own beliefs extensively, and produce reams of discussion material on the subject. So while there is certainly a sense of adhering to a common set of values and conclusions based on same, such adherence is not necessarily blind.

Faith is by definition unreasoning and blind to evidence. Martin Luther, correctly said that "Reason is the enemy of faith.", except he said it as an attack on reason, which is in fact the anti-intellectualism that was and is at the heart of the Protestantism he helped give birth to.
Religions promote faith as a virtue, because they know that their core beliefs dissolve when exposed to reason. Thus, those who actually apply reason to their religion invariably abandon religion, leaving those who don't apply reason to
Pseudo-intellectual "discussions" in which the core assumptions are never allowed to be questioned is still blind faith, just with the added quality of being dishonest and not admitting to that faith and trying to steal intellectual legitimacy. In addition, two faithers arguing with each other but not actually willing to take the other's arguments seriously is also still blind faith. Blind faith and active self-delusion is how all theists do and must retain their religion.
The fact is that nearly every core idea of theistic religion is so absurd and contradicted by fact and reason that only blind, delusional refusal to reason is capable of maintaining such beliefs.

Meanwhile, over in atheism, atheists are free to create a coherent system of ethics, principles and values for themselves and other atheists to adhere to. But most don't do any of that themselves - they simply adhere to someone else's just as the religious do.

Secular ethics come to be and survive only because they make sense to the majority of people. By definition, there is no authority to defer to. This is why the non-religious are far less likely to endorse moral mandates that prescribe private behavior with no clear harm to another's person or property. They are far less likely to say something is immoral just because they personally do not like it. Religionists do this regularly, because there is no rational basis to determine God's will, thus they can just make their own will God's will, and thus their own tastes dictate morality.
For nearly every moral advancement, secularist have been ahead of the curve and far more likely to among the minority in society pushing for a moral change in the transition period where the old morality is still dominant. There was very little overall moral progress (if anything regress) from the time of the ancient greeks to the Enlightenment, because religion determined morality and dominated society. The rise of secularism triggered by the Enlightenment coincides strongly with the exponential increase in the rate of moral and political progress over the last 300 years. Of

And in reality those systems are less considered and less analysed than those of the religious, which tend to have evolved over many hundreds of years.

Religious ethics have only progressed due to the external pressure of secular ethics. Their is no other possibility, because their is no mechanism for internal evolution in ethics for religion. The source of religious ethics is the authoritarian decrees of God. Since all of these are invented and cannot be judged by mere human minds, there is no mechanism for internal progressive change. Sometimes their is change within religion, but it is arbitrary based upon the authorities want to say to benefit themselves or ensure the future power of their religion. Secular ethics is what modern law is based upon, namely the core principle of not harming others or infringing their liberty, except if neccessary to protect oneself from the harm caused by those others actions. This principle is what makes secular ethics far more principled and coherent, despite far less time for development. Religious ethics have zero principle to create logical coherence. Every decree need only be God's will and that will need not be coherent or principled or applied equally to logically equivalent situations.

That leaves atheism with it's great ability to choose your values rather than have them issued to you. But do people choose values? I mean do you sit down and decide for yourself whether harm to others is something you should avoid?

Yes. Like all non-sociopaths, I have a natural sense of empathy, and I have an ability to predict the mutually beneficial results from a social contract based upon core principles. Unlike religious people, I can and do actually apply these to determine the moral principles I adhere to, and use logic and reason to ensure that I apply those principles consistently. Religious morality commands that if authoritarian decrees run counter to natural empathy or a principled social contract, or consistent application, then those things must be disregarded.

What could such a contemplation ever be based on? All values either come down to what an acquaintance described as 'The Master or the Void'. Either your value judgements are based on some absolute authority, typically religious, or they're based on nothing at all. Atheism avoids the Master quite neatly, but only by promoting the idea that morals shouldn't be based on anything solid at all. Some people may find that a hard sell.

Authority is nothing at all, when that authority doesn't actually exist. Religious morality is just the whim of a small number of human authorities. Secular morality requires widespread agreement for their to be any shared system of rules. This requires core principles consistently applied or their will be no widespread agreement. It leads to a pro-liberty principle in which each person's own will controls their own actions, which entails a logically inherent boundary and limit where actions begin impede another person's will over their body and actions. It is not at all coincidence that the valuing of reason, secularism, and democracy coupled with individual rights and autonomy arose together from the Enlightenment through today. They are inherently mutually reinforcing, and religion and faith are inherently at odds with all of them.
If values are instead based on our instincts, honed over thousands of years of evolution, then we don't really choose them, and we can expect to find generally the same moral principles in theism as in atheism.

Not true. The authoritarian basis of religious morality allows it to completely disregard ethical instincts, such as natural empathy, and to disregard whether one decree is logically contradictory to another. Religious authority also abuses some natural feelings and perverts them into harmful moral extremes, such as with homosexuality. When obedience to God is the definition of "good", then heinous acts that violate natural empathy to the point where they cause the actor physical pain will still be engaged in and justified. In fact, most theistic religion treats listening to your own natural empathy as an immoral selfish act of disobedience. In addition, natural empathy carries far more influence on ethics when those ethics emerge from the bottom-upward via democratic and a shared social contract rather than authoritarian decree of a God. A single authority can easily (and usually do) ignore their own empathy in favor of other self-serving goals. However, a populace free to come to an agreed social contract will not share all the same self-serving goals, but will share natural empathy. THus, empathy has a greater impact on secular morality than religious morality, and arbitrary decrees that are harmful to many or even most people are far more likely to shape religious morality than secular morality.

Non-theistic ethics are responsible for all of the massive progress in ethics and principles of justice over the past several centuries.

why would you think that.

Because there is a highly systematic covariance both across time and between cultures at any given time. And when religion rules a society, their is little moral progress, and any "change" is as likely to be regressive or just arbitrary based on the whim of an authority (like a king wanting to get divorced).

And does that mean that theistic ethics were responsible for all the reforms before then? If so, why did they suddenly stop?
In any society there are religious and secular forces impacting ethics. They vary over time and culture in their relative impact. When religion has dominated, moral progress toward equality and respect for individual autonomy has been very minimal and due to the minimal impact that secular forces had. Rate of progress has greatly accelerated in the West, due to the increased influence of secularism. That rate of moral progress has predictably not increased within societies still very directly ruled by religion (e.g., most of the Arab world).

We may still sometime act in the heinously immoral, racist, sexist, and genocidal ways advocated by the Bible, but at least most of the modern secular world now recognizes such acts as immoral and that references to the Bible, God or other religious authority has no bearing on whether such acts should be allowed.

The thing is, most of the religious world doesn't practice those ways either.
I mean how many priests do you think regularly stone people to death for eating beef on Friday, approaching a church altar while wearing spectacles, or committing adultery?

They don't stone women, because the secular world won't let them. That is why the "priests" very much still do stone people (such as women) and command others to do so, wherever their is no secular force of decency to keep them in check. In the West, they are forced to limit their henious immorality, but still push the boundaries of it whereever they can, such as advocating hatred, violence, and the lack of human rights for homosexuals, promoting racism and sexism in every way they can legally get away with, and trying to smash individual liberty in general. The degree to which the religious do and advocate these things in the West is directly related to their degree of religiosity, as countless research shows. The most progress people in the West are those least confident in any religion or God, and who think about and value religious ideas very little in their actual political and daily judgments.

IOW, monotheistic religion is only not a source of authoritarian destruction and inhumanity when it isn't really monotheistic religion, but rather secularism practiced by people who want to keep their religious label.

That seems so vague as to make moral codes useless to individuals. But then, I can't really figure out how to translate your theory into anything that goes on in a person's mind. I understand that there is a desire for predictability. But that demands something more than possible consequences. It demands probability estimates, if not guarantees. If the consequences of violating a given code are avoidable, then what relevance is that code? Whose code is it?

Since the consequences are not certain, I can weigh options and decide if the reward is worth the risk.

Where do deontological ethics fit into this account? Where does an individual person's conscience come in?

Maybe moral codes are useless to individuals and their only purpose is to give us a standard by which we judge others.

There is no certainty in life and we see consequences avoided every day. Why should we expect perfect execution of any moral code of behavior? How would we recognize perfect execution? Is it possible for some horrible action to be righteous because of some hidden circumstance?

Wouldn't this make our judgment that the code was useless the product of our ignorance?

Back
Top Bottom