• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Morgan Freeman's Story of God

credoconsolans

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
neopagan leaning toward moral relativism
I've been watching Morgan Freeman's Story of God off and on since last season.

Apparently this is going to be monotheistically centered.

It seems it is against Morgan Freeman's contract to say the word "gods". Plural.

90% of the time, he refers to god as singular.

He's standing in a 11,000 year old archaeological site, where anthropomorphic images have been carved into over a dozen monoliths, the archaeologist theorizes the images might be of the gods these people worshipped. Freeman turns to the camera and says, "It might be God that brought ancient peoples together."

Not god. Morgan, GODS.

He won't say it.

I expected better from National Geographic.

Really? They air a lot of total crap, including many blindly pro-religion shows pretending to be based in valid scholarship.

The cable channel was a 50-50 collab with Fox Newtwork from the start, so it never had the integrity of the magazine. Now that the whole company is 100% Murdoch and changed to a for-profit, you can be sure that it will become something closer to Fox News pretending to do history, sociology, and anthropology.

Also, the pro-monotheism bias is right their in the title, with the capitalized singular "God". This article on the show makes it clear that producer is a Christian, and Freeman is too cowardly to approach the subject with any intellectual honesty, using "God" in such a vague way that he can say he is "a believer" because everyone is a believer by that use of the word. For example, he says he believes in "miracles", because miracles are hope and we all hope for things. IOW, vacuous pseudo-spiritual tripe, which is what I expected from the first trailer I saw.

OTOH, I doubt that PBS would have the guts to do a completely intellectually honest show about "The story of God".

Really? They air a lot of total crap, including many blindly pro-religion shows pretending to be based in valid scholarship.

The cable channel was a 50-50 collab with Fox Newtwork from the start, so it never had the integrity of the magazine. Now that the whole company is 100% Murdoch and changed to a for-profit, you can be sure that it will become something closer to Fox News pretending to do history, sociology, and anthropology.

Also, the pro-monotheism bias is right their in the title, with the capitalized singular "God". This article on the show makes it clear that producer is a Christian, and Freeman is too cowardly to approach the subject with any intellectual honesty, using "God" in such a vague way that he can say he is "a believer" because everyone is a believer by that use of the word. For example, he says he believes in "miracles", because miracles are hope and we all hope for things. IOW, vacuous pseudo-spiritual tripe, which is what I expected from the first trailer I saw.

OTOH, I doubt that PBS would have the guts to do a completely intellectually honest show about "The story of God".

Wow, good to know. Thanks.

Heck, most American documentaries turned to crap during the 1970s when scholarship got tossed out the window with those "In Search of..." documentaries. Don't watch American documentaries. Seriously, don't do that.

Back
Top Bottom