• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

My Conspiracy Theory

My conspiracy theory: this fall there will be a huge fight over government funding. Primarily it will be over the border wall. Trump will not be able to back down as he claimed the last time was that he wouldn’t do it again. But there aren’t enough votes to stop the democrats from blocking the wall funding. Government will shut down. Trump will blame the democrats and claim that they are blocking the will of the people. His supporters will demand that he lock them up. Trump declares a national emergency and assumes "temporary" powers to enact the budget. After all its the democrats' fault. They’ll deny he has assumed dictatorial powers. The Democrats (the real feckless cunts, WADR) won’t do anything but scream and shout. They may try to file a lawsuit over the use of funds. That will be tied up in courts for years.

SLD
[Bold added]

Hahahaha - That idiot genius Trump claimed credit for it in advance! Fooled you, didn't he? 4-dimensional chess!

... and you came so close to a perfect prediction :(

What's all the fuss about on this side of the border? Trumpty Dumpty said Mexico was going to pay for the wall. Tell Trumpty Dumpty to go fight with the Mexicans for the money he promised he would get.

I'd be sticking those words so fat and so often into his blovating face that he'd actually shut up.

Wouldn't it have been smart for the Dems to have confronted Trump on that yesterday in the Oval office with him on camera... They went there to play right into his hand of looking like they were obstructing. Why the FUUUUUUUCK did they not grandstand right in front of him and on camera during that awesome opportunity to embarrass and derail him? All they had to do is say, "We will fully support the promise our President made to the people of the United States that the Wall will be built and funded by Mexico". Mic drop.
But no... that's OF COURSE not what they did. They came off as "the opposition" instead of the "go ahead, do what you said you would and we will help" crew.

I think you saw things through your filter. What I saw happen was Pelosi try, very patiently, to show Trump how to advance the agenda he claims he wants. He's too chickenshit to even call for a vote from the House, where he claims he has the votes. Probably because he doesn't really have them. Why should the Dems deliver to Trump something they don't want and know to be foolish--and horrendously expensive--and ineffective? He's had the House and the Senate for 2 years now and hasn't accomplished a damn thing which makes him look awfully incompetent.

You're both correct.

I'm also ready for a little anti-political correctness from the Dems. Calling him out on his wall stupidity just might be a way for them to advance their agenda. I think they blew a great opportunity here to do just as Gun Nut said.

What's all the fuss about on this side of the border? Trumpty Dumpty said Mexico was going to pay for the wall. Tell Trumpty Dumpty to go fight with the Mexicans for the money he promised he would get.

I'd be sticking those words so fat and so often into his blovating face that he'd actually shut up.

Wouldn't it have been smart for the Dems to have confronted Trump on that yesterday in the Oval office with him on camera... They went there to play right into his hand of looking like they were obstructing. Why the FUUUUUUUCK did they not grandstand right in front of him and on camera during that awesome opportunity to embarrass and derail him? All they had to do is say, "We will fully support the promise our President made to the people of the United States that the Wall will be built and funded by Mexico". Mic drop.
But no... that's OF COURSE not what they did. They came off as "the opposition" instead of the "go ahead, do what you said you would and we will help" crew.

I think you saw things through your filter. What I saw happen was Pelosi try, very patiently, to show Trump how to advance the agenda he claims he wants. He's too chickenshit to even call for a vote from the House, where he claims he has the votes. Probably because he doesn't really have them. Why should the Dems deliver to Trump something they don't want and know to be foolish--and horrendously expensive--and ineffective? He's had the House and the Senate for 2 years now and hasn't accomplished a damn thing which makes him look awfully incompetent.

We see everything through our own filters, I imagine. You might as well have replied, "You're just saying that because of your point of view"... I agree with what you saw... which is to say, I agree that was what happened. I am saying it was a lost opportunity.

Rather than try to be cooperative in a way that Trump can easily just tweet that the Dems are nothing but obstructionists.. because of their complex language about finances and fancy political speak... knowing (they SHOULD know) that no matter what they say it will be spun by Trump as they are not giving him anything he wants. Go ahead, explain in terms my neighbors will understand what the Dems offered.... no chance it will be taken as anything other than, "trickery to prevent trump from making america great again".

What they SHOULD have done is summarize their "deal" in front of the cameras as "We fully support our President's plan to have Mexico pay for a new border wall". Then, he couldn't as easily just say that we would have the wall built already if not for the Dems.

Actually Chuck and Nancy did a great job. They drew a stark contrast between their willingness to negotiate on border security and McConnell's dictate to the Rethuglicans that they must oppose everything Obama might suggest, even if it was their own idea.
No need to make it look like THREE toddlers in the room fighting with each other. It was delicious to see their calm, patient explanation of the facts of political life to a petulant little punk with nothing between his ears.

What they SHOULD have done is summarize their "deal" in front of the cameras as "We fully support our President's plan to have Mexico pay for a new border wall". Then, he couldn't as easily just say that we would have the wall built already if not for the Dems.

Because it's a ridiculous comment that even Trump supporters likely took as, to some extent, campaign rhetoric. If they didn't then, they do by now and likely do not hold Trump to that statement in it's original form. Chuck and Nancy knew this and even if not, knew that to repeat that ridiculous statement on TV would be to stoop to Trump's level, to step onto Trump's playing field. That takes them off offense. They are no longer driving the narrative in the direction they want. They are now talking about Trump's ridiculous statement.
You really think that's a "mic drop"? That Trump would have no response to your unspoken Pelosi quote? Trump: "The Mexicans will be paying for it over time through my new USMCA as long as the obstructionist democrats do not block it.... but we need funding now." And since the news media hasn't bothered with this imperceptibly different trade deal, few people know fuckall about it and hence cannot score such a statement.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/wh...vernment-months-or-even-years-schumer-n954856

OK, so now he is threatening to declare a national emergency and fund the wall by himself. Rule by decree. I hate it when I'm right. This is not going to end well. The Dems can vote to impeach if he does this (clear constitutional violation), but they don't have the votes in the Senate to do this. No way will he be removed. he will continue to act with impunity and voila we no longer have a functioning democracy.

I'm just waiting for the chants of lock her up to be directed at Pelosi. And Trump will do it, too.

At which point, i hope the remaining federal government workers stop and refuse to obey such an obviously illegal order. Or there are riots in the street. Which there damn well ought to be by now.

SLD

The correct way for Pelosi and the Democrats to play this is to remind the nation that Trump demanded, and got massive tax cuts (mainly going to big business and the already wealthy). We are now back to $1 trillion dollar deficits, double the deficits of the last year of Obama's presidency. And now we have Mitch McConnell telling us we have to slash SS, Medicare and medicaid to cut these deficits Trump's tax cuts are creating. If Trump wants a wall, he has to pay for it. No more deficits. No slashing SS to pay for all of this. There isn't money for this wall. And the Democrats aren't going to sign on to an expensive program that is stupid and will give McConnell more excuses to slash SS, Medicare and Medicaid. Then rather than try to speak in a common sense way to Trump, demand an accounting from McConnell. Put his ass on the spot.

Back
Top Bottom