• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

My Hope is that Scotland will vote for Independence

If anything, an England without a Scottish Union partner would lose its royal family to the Scots.

The union of the crown in 1605 happened when James VI, King of Scotland, took on England as well, as the English ran out of heirs. So in the event of a split in the united crown, the Scots would have dibs on the monarchy, with old one-and-six Jimmy being Scottish king first, and only taking on England as a second job.

Not the crown is up for a split. Political union didn't happen at the union of the monarchies; and dissolving the political union wouldn't split the crown. Australia achieved political independence in 1900, but Lizzy II is still our queen.

The Scots are pragmatic folks and knew they couldn't go it alone and voted accordingly.

I find it curious that had they gone independent, they would have "kept the Queen".

They got their own Stone of Scone (that's "skoon") back 10 years ago. Is there no Scottish royalty left?

The Scots are pragmatic folks and knew they couldn't go it alone and voted accordingly.

I find it curious that had they gone independent, they would have "kept the Queen".

They got their own Stone of Scone (that's "skoon") back 10 years ago. Is there no Scottish royalty left?

When Elizabeth I of England died she had no heir and the nearest person with any link to the English throne was James VI of Scotland; so he became king of both the English and Scottish kingdoms, unifying them.

This occurred over 100 years before Scotland and England were unified under a single parliament.

Wow. That must have been an awkward moment for William Wallace's ghost. All that hullaballo and then the Scots just up and inherit the throne. I don't want to say that the guy died for nothing, but he clearly died for nothing.

So when will the leeching, mooching, sponging, panhandling, thieving, parasitic, cancerous, beggarly, deadbeat red states start paying for it?

As soon as they are given the option of home rule, and the ability to fund their welfare, education, water project, and land use as they see fit - just as the Scots demand. But then, the Blue masters will not allow such freedom, correct?

I am sure many blue state denizens would not mind cutting loose Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana, parasite states all.

There always is. (But the last one who was still Scottish became a cardinal; the current heirs are Germans.)

If anything, an England without a Scottish Union partner would lose its royal family to the Scots.

The union of the crown in 1605 happened when James VI, King of Scotland, took on England as well, as the English ran out of heirs. So in the event of a split in the united crown, the Scots would have dibs on the monarchy, with old one-and-six Jimmy being Scottish king first, and only taking on England as a second job.

Not the crown is up for a split. Political union didn't happen at the union of the monarchies; and dissolving the political union wouldn't split the crown. Australia achieved political independence in 1900, but Lizzy II is still our queen.

The Windsors are of German extraction, I believe. The Stuarts are long gone...

There always is. (But the last one who was still Scottish became a cardinal; the current heirs are Germans.)

Dang. What a family tree.

Isn't Prince Philip a Greek though?

As soon as they are given the option of home rule, and the ability to fund their welfare, education, water project, and land use as they see fit - just as the Scots demand. But then, the Blue masters will not allow such freedom, correct?

I am sure many blue state denizens would not mind cutting loose Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana, parasite states all.

Within 15 years the 3 states you just mentioned will be controlled by the Democrats.

871.png

Yeah, Jimmy II was too Catholic, so parliament arranged a coup d'état and invited the Dutch to invade in 1688. There are breaks in the succession all over the place, but the European royals are all related; it makes little sense to discuss their nationality - the Crowned Heads of Europe are a multinational concern.

Apparently the direct heir to the Plantagenets - the man with perhaps the best genealogical claim to the English throne - is a farmer in outback New South Wales.

Well, their male line has died out. But that's normal; it just means family continuity is occasionally allowed to pass through the female line, through which there are still quite a few Stuarts, for instance, Liz version 2.0 -- some Stuart princess married a German king.

Apparently the direct heir to the Plantagenets - the man with perhaps the best genealogical claim to the English throne - is a farmer in outback New South Wales.
The Plantagenets? That passel of French usurpers?!? This is the English throne we're talking about. Go find a descendant of Ulf Haroldson.

(Not that genealogy is especially binding -- the rightful king of England is whoever is elected by the Witenagemot. :biggrina: )

Back
Top Bottom