• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

mystery insect

BH

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Muslim
Hello,

I live 50 miles south of Dallas, TX. I had an insect inside my store yesterday night I have never seen before. The girl working with me got a good scare when she saw it walking across the floor in front of her.

It was about an inch and a half long and was about a centimeter wide. It was a dark tan to brown color. It's abdomen was long and elongated like that of a large grasshoppers. It had two front legs that reminded me of those you find on the cicada during its pupal form, when it walks around in that shell cicadas have before molting. It's face was not like a typical insects. The face reminded me more of a crawfish. I fiddled with it with my shoe to see if it would be any danger. When it made no threatening responses I threw a paper towel around it, picked it up, and let it go outside. It put up no resistance and seemed safe and docile.

We are not allowed to have our phones in the store so no pics. Does anyone have any idea what that insect was?

....snip....
It was about an inch and a half long and was about a centimeter wide.
..... snip....
Does anyone have any idea what that insect was?
Apparently it is a transitional form somewhere between an Imperial System insect and a Metric System insect.

Hello,

I live 50 miles south of Dallas, TX. I had an insect inside my store yesterday night I have never seen before. The girl working with me got a good scare when she saw it walking across the floor in front of her.

It was about an inch and a half long and was about a centimeter wide. It was a dark tan to brown color. It's abdomen was long and elongated like that of a large grasshoppers. It had two front legs that reminded me of those you find on the cicada during its pupal form, when it walks around in that shell cicadas have before molting. It's face was not like a typical insects. The face reminded me more of a crawfish. I fiddled with it with my shoe to see if it would be any danger. When it made no threatening responses I threw a paper towel around it, picked it up, and let it go outside. It put up no resistance and seemed safe and docile.

We are not allowed to have our phones in the store so no pics. Does anyone have any idea what that insect was?

Sounds like you had a mole cricket.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mole_cricket

The mole cricket looks just like the insect I saw. Thanks. From what I read on several websites after reading your post it seems they are common around here but are only active at night underground. I wonder what made the mole cricket want to come shopping at my store that night?

It may indeed have come out in the night, somehow wandered into your store and got lost and was looking for someplace to hide. Who can say anything for sure about the ways of the insect people?

I read that in some countries they are thought of as a great food to eat. I believe I'll pass on that but if your culture conditions you to think they are a good source of food they probably are. They are rather large and can supply you with a good bit of meat.

You could have put it in a jar or something and took the photo after work. And what kind of work is that that you can't have a phone with you? Are you in Area 51?

You could have put it in a jar or something and took the photo after work. And what kind of work is that that you can't have a phone with you? Are you in Area 51?
He can't answer either of those questions unless you have both the need to know and the proper clearance.

I manage a retail clothing store. The owner forbids cell phones because they are a possible loss prevention issue. If I or another manager are stuck at the register ringing lots of folks up a dishonest employee could go around a corner and text his/her friends that the manager is tied up so it is a good time to come in and steal.

My vast powers and authoriTIE rest in my ability to ring people up and no one else, but my vast powers are my downfall too!:laughing-smiley-014

Last night I put some liquid soap in a big bucket with water and poured it out on the grass. I did this about four or five times and watched. Sure enough I had one of those things come out of the ground. I have read that the male will sing a song (in Cricketeese) underground in a burrow. Sometimes you can be walking by and hear it and never find where the sound is coming from because it is slightly underground.

Back
Top Bottom