• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Mystery signal does not correspond to any known atomic transition

yeah definitely cool worthy, maybe an observation of something else will explain this if in fact it cannot be explained by known physics...

if in fact it cannot be explained by known physics...
Yeah, that's a good point.

Like that Star Trek episode where the "life form, but unlike any we've ever encountered" turned out to be a previously encountered life form, but it was just wearing a silly hat.

I love stuff like this. I remember being genuinely disappointed when the famous "BLOOP" signal was explained by shifting tectonic plates or something... really thought we'd found Chthulu.

I love stuff like this. I remember being genuinely disappointed when the famous "BLOOP" signal was explained by shifting tectonic plates or something... really thought we'd found Chthulu.

In some ways, it is more interesting to me than discovering life. Life is expected within the known universe. But new matter is something so unimaginably different even though we are expecting to find it as dark matter.

Having said that, it would certainly be much more interesting, at least, socially and biologically to discover new intelligent life.

There should be a web show, Mystery Signal Theater 3000.
And three hosts, who review all the papers that are publixhed, trying to explain mystery signals from deep space, the deep ocean, and Congress, and then mock them using quotes from others papers in history, whose conclusions turned out to be wrong, or grossly incorrect, or laughably naive.

"This reminds me of Giovanni Schiaparelli's Martian canals!"
"Do you suppose Edgar Rice Burroughs will write a book based on this discovery?"
"Isn't he dead?"
"Don't change the subject!"

And three hosts, who review all the papers that are publixhed, trying to explain mystery signals from deep space, the deep ocean, and Congress, and then mock them using quotes from others papers in history, whose conclusions turned out to be wrong, or grossly incorrect, or laughably naive.

"Do you suppose Edgar Rice Burroughs will write a book based on this discovery?"
"Isn't he dead?"

Exactly what explanations are "laughably naïve"? Some scientists are saying that its possibly dark matter which is in a universe full of dark matter, "After we submitted the paper, theoreticians came up with about 60 different dark matter types which could explain this" http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2014/24jul_perseuscluster/ .

"Isn't he dead?"

Exactly what explanations are "laughably naïve"? Some scientists are saying that its possibly dark matter which is in a universe full of dark matter, "After we submitted the paper, theoreticians came up with about 60 different dark matter types which could explain this" http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2014/24jul_perseuscluster/ .
The "60 different dark matter types" are 60 guesses as to what dark matter could be... if it turns out to be some form of exotic matter. The reason for the label "dark matter" is that our observations such as the orbital speed of stars in galaxies and gravitational lensing requires more gravitation and a different distribution of the source of that gravitation than can be accouned for by the matter we can observe (such as stars). We don't have a clue yet why. It may even turn out to be that the reason what we see at those scales don't match the predictions of our models is that our models need refining.

Exactly what explanations are "laughably naïve"?
Are you really not aware of any historical attempts to explain things that appear laughably naive with respect to modern science?
Phlogiston?
The balance of humours?
Phrenology?
Pitldown man? Or more precisely, the evolutionary theories that PM was crafted to fit into...?

The "60 different dark matter types" are 60 guesses as to what dark matter could be... if it turns out to be some form of exotic matter. The reason for the label "dark matter" is that our observations such as the orbital speed of stars in galaxies and gravitational lensing requires more gravitation and a different distribution of the source of that gravitation than can be accouned for by the matter we can observe (such as stars). We don't have a clue yet why. It may even turn out to be that the reason what we see at those scales don't match the predictions of our models is that our models need refining.

Hmmm, I am not sure what this has to do with my question to Keith&Co. My issue is that many explanations given don't seem too outrageous.

Exactly what explanations are "laughably naïve"?
Are you really not aware of any historical attempts to explain things that appear laughably naive with respect to modern science?
Phlogiston?
The balance of humours?
Phrenology?
Pitldown man? Or more precisely, the evolutionary theories that PM was crafted to fit into...?

I thought that you were commenting on what the scientist in the article in the OP said.

Hmmm, I am not sure what this has to do with my question to Keith&Co. My issue is that many explanations given don't seem too outrageous.
It is difficult to impossible to tell what explanation will turn out to be outrageous until after the fact. Luminiferous aethers, phlogiston, humors, etc. all sounded "perfectly reasonable" to people at the time they were proposed as explanations. Today we have unexplained observations and "dark matter" as some exotic theoretical substance like sterile neutrinos (as in the article) is being offered as an explanation. A better answer is we just don't know but that there are many many possible explanations, none of which should be taken too seriously but all investigated. It is when someone assumes they have the answer (when there really isn't enough evidence for that particular assumption) then ignores other possibilities that it becomes outrageous, unless they happen to be right which is damned rare.

Science can't explain this, therefore the Flying Spaghetti Monster is real! This proves it!!!!!!

;)

Back
Top Bottom