• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Nagging could drive men to an early grave, study suggests

Looking at the actual research article (you need paid access), it looks like the effect was more notable for men.....
"In your everyday life, do you experience that any of the following people demand too much of you or seriously worry you?".
I assume "following people" was followed by a list, such as :supervisor, father, mother, spouse, friend, son, daughter, neighbour, teammate - or some such. And then they ....
somehow focussed on "spouse" as the cause of stress?
You're right about the question, anyway: it's so inclusive and unspecific as to be useless.

Looking at the actual research article (you need paid access), it looks like the effect was more notable for men.....
"In your everyday life, do you experience that any of the following people demand too much of you or seriously worry you?".
I assume "following people" was followed by a list, such as :supervisor, father, mother, spouse, friend, son, daughter, neighbour, teammate - or some such. And then they ....
somehow focussed on "spouse" as the cause of stress?

Yeah, they had a list of different social relations that responders answered separately about. Spouse showed the biggest relationship to mortality.

And also a bigger relationship for men than for women. But we still don't know whether the majority of that stress came from having the wife make demands or the husband being jealous, overprotective or having some other kind of anxiety regarding the wife.
If followed up according to these three distinct criteria (leaving 'other' out), it might lead to understanding of the problem and maybe even coping strategies.
As it stands, all we know is that men tend to turn their unexpressed negative emotions into ulcers or heart disease - which we already knew. (We also know that women are more prone to turning their unexpressed negative emotions into migraine and depression. And more likely to seek medical help.)

But some people will turn this inconclusive result into a weapon to shut women up.

Reminds me of a joke I heard recently. It's a heaven joke.

St Peter is coming out of the pearly gates; about to let folks in. There are two signs showing where men should line up. One has a sign saying, "Men who did what their wives tell them to do." The other sign says, "Men who did what they want to do." St Peter walks out and notices there is a huge line at the sign that says, "Men who did what their wives tell them to do," but only one man standing at the other sign. He wonders at the gross discrepancy and asks the one guy what gives? Why is he standing there when all the other men are in the other line? The guy answers, my wife told be to stand here.

You neglected to mention that these men were all over 60 and that one was 95.
The ones who did what they wanted to do had long ago been processed and redirected.

Back
Top Bottom