• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Names

Why do Native Americans have names like Crazy Horse, Swallow Bird, Touch the Clouds, Kicking Bear, Rain in the Face and Sitting Bull? - Quora

How did Native American personal names originally develop (i.e. “Red Cloud” and “Sitting Bull”)? Further, how did the convention of Native Americans taking an Anglo first name and a Native American surname develop (i.e. Jay Silverheels)? - Quora

These are all translations, and I like this answer to the second one:
Christopher Proescher:

Not all Native American personal names are that way.

Cherokee names might be Kamama, or Tsula, Atsila, or even Sequoia. Someone of the Comanche tribe might be named Huupi-phhati, Isataik Lotsee, Mukwooru, or Nadua.

Sitting Bull, a Lakota Indian was actually named Tȟatȟáŋka Íyotake, which was translated and simplified to “Sitting Bull”. Red Cloud (Maȟpíya Lúta) was also from the Lakota tribe. As you can see, neither had the name we commonly associate with them.

BTW, The Meaning and History of First Names - Behind the Name now has The Meaning and History of Surnames - Behind the Name
I've often thought it would be amusing to insist on "helpfully" translating white people's names into Carlisle English the same way they insist on doing to Indians. I'm Masculine Hedges, good to see you Son-of-a-Rock! Have you met my mother, Chaste Princess?

Back
Top Bottom