• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Nancy Pelosi Pushes Proposal Detrimental to Progressive Ideas

poster

Basic Beliefs
none
In an attempt to make it sound like the idea is a progressive one by freezing taxes paid by low earners, it is actually a very bad idea that handcuffs progressive initiative. Some might say that It would appear Nancy Pelosi is doing her job at pleasing her corporate contributors by basically providing neoliberals on the right and *cough* left veto power. Good one, Nance!

According to a list of Democratic proposals obtained by the Washington Post, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.)—who is currently fighting back against efforts to prevent her from becoming House Speaker—is pushing for a rule that would "require a three-fifths supermajority to raise individual income taxes on the lowest-earning 80 percent of taxpayers."

In response, MoveOn.org called the proposal "a staggeringly bad idea."

Though the proposed rule is framed as an effort to protect the financial well-being of middle-class Americans, Eric Levitz of New York Magazine pointed out that "while progressives are committed to increasing the discretionary income of the bottom 80 percent, that does not necessarily mean keeping their tax rates frozen at historically low levels."

"A bill that required those households to pay a new, smaller monthly sum to the government—so as to fund a single-payer system that would actually reduce their cost of living by delivering radically cheaper healthcare services—could hardly be called regressive," Levitz notes. "And the same can be said for legislation establishing universal child care, paid family leave, or any other program aimed at easing the middle class's financial burdens."

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2...osi-pushes-tax-rule-would-kneecap-progressive

Last edited:
Weird. So if there is massive inflation or something, they may not be able to raise taxes across the board? What is Pelosi's motivation behind this. She never struck me as even a little bit progressive. Amazing that this happens while she is trying to secure being speaker, ya? Something doesn't smell right about this, but hey, maybe she's genuinely trying to do a good thing. Maybe we'll see more of that from her in the future? I guess it could happen. People do change.

So if there is massive inflation or something, they may not be able to raise taxes across the board?

Why would you want to do that?

I agree with Poster on this. I think everyone should pay more taxes AND get more benefits from the government. Why? Because some services are provided more efficiently and effectively by a government than the free market.

Binding the hands of government to raise taxes is a bad idea because it adds additional unnecessary hurdles to those potential increases in efficiency that the left has been trying to implement for decades now. That this idea is coming from a Democrat is disturbing.

I agree with Poster on this. I think everyone should pay more taxes AND get more benefits from the government. Why? Because some services are provided more efficiently and effectively by a government than the free market.

Binding the hands of government to raise taxes is a bad idea because it adds additional unnecessary hurdles to those potential increases in efficiency that the left has been trying to implement for decades now. That this idea is coming from a Democrat is disturbing.

Can't those efficiencies be purchased with rich people's money?

Sounds like a nothing burger to me, a way for Pelosi to remain true to her fiscal conservative roots without committing to very much.

Pelosi has to go. This makes me think she's accepted that reality and is trying to bow out gracefully.

Back
Top Bottom