• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

NASCAR-Tony Stewart hits and kills driver

Driving at nearly 200 mph without killing yourself is NOT a physical skill?

You're the one who compared it to men drinking beer while watching TV!
I think that was tongue in cheek because men (also some women let's face it) like to drink beer while watching sports.

Sure there is some ability to maintain mental stamina for long periods of time. But to me it's more similar to chess players. The primary traits of a winning race team (and it takes a team) is a great car, top engine performing at peak conditions, a great team, and etc.
I don't know about Nascar but the level of physical fitness and stamina required to drive a Formula 1 car is immense, in addition to all the mental and car control stuff.
In one of the old seasons of Top Gear Richard Hammond was tasked to drive a Renault Formula 1 car around a circuit. He was started on junior Formula Renault cars but could only do so much practice in them because of concerns his neck would go even before he tried the actual F1 car due to the g forces involved.
Surely, chess players are not being violently thrown around with forces equivalent to several times their weights while sitting in a sauna (depending on the track).

Back
Top Bottom