• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

NASCAR-Tony Stewart hits and kills driver

Celldweller

Basic Beliefs
Book of Leviathan
http://http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/10/justice/tony-stewart-hits-driver/index.html

Tony Stewart will not drive Sunday in a NASCAR Sprint Cup race at Watkins Glen International race track.
A video of the incident shows Ward out of his crashed car, walking on the track toward the race cars, which had slowed for a yellow flag. Ward points a finger and appears to be yelling. One car swerves to avoid Ward on the track.

I don't know much about Nascar, but hasn't Stewart always been a beligerent hothead? The video is horrifying and by the revving of Tony's engine it almost looked deliberate.

"Tony Stewart Kills Driver In Tragic Collision, As NASCAR Reels And Police Investigate
Comment Now Follow Comments

NASCAR star Tony Stewart hit and killed another driver who was walking on the track in a sprint car race on Saturday night.

(Video of the incident is here. Warning: the video is graphic.)

The other driver, Kevin Ward Jr., had collided with Stewart on the previous lap, leaving Ward’s car with a flat tire and pushed into the wall. As officials threw a caution, Ward left his car and began walking down the track — gesturing angrily toward Stewart — before being clipped and dragged 50 feet by Stewart’s car.

Several spectators told Bob Pockrass of The Sporting News that Stewart appeared to throttle his car before colliding with Ward.

The race was immediately suspended, and Stewart was subsequently interviewed by the police. He was not arrested. Police said that Ward was dead on arrival at the hospital and they will continue to investigate the incident, asking spectators to submit their videos of the collision.

The incident, at New York’s Canandaigua Motorsports Park, was not a NASCAR event. However, it will likely raise questions about motorsports’ current approach to on-track safety, particularly because many racers — including Tony Stewart — have left their cars in the middle of live events to angrily confront other drivers.

The tragedy also came hours before Sunday’s NASCAR sprint-car race at Watkins Glen International. Stewart was in New York to compete at Watkins Glen.

Tony Stewart is among NASCAR’s most prominent drivers and one of America’s most famous athletes.

The three-time NASCAR Sprint Cup champion also co-owns a NASCAR team, Stewart-Haas Racing, that is ranked among the most valuable teams in the sport."

http://http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/10/justice/tony-stewart-hits-driver/index.html

Tony Stewart will not drive Sunday in a NASCAR Sprint Cup race at Watkins Glen International race track.
A video of the incident shows Ward out of his crashed car, walking on the track toward the race cars, which had slowed for a yellow flag. Ward points a finger and appears to be yelling. One car swerves to avoid Ward on the track.

I don't know much about Nascar, but hasn't Stewart always been a beligerent hothead? The video is horrifying and by the revving of Tony's engine it almost looked deliberate.

Sorry to sound crass, but Ward deserves the Darwin award for 2014. I watched the video. What kind of an idiot walks around a narrow track with cars driving 50 MPH on it (they were on a yellow flag). It seemed to me that Ward walked straight into his car, never even tried to dodge.

- - - Updated - - -

"Tony Stewart Kills Driver In Tragic Collision, As NASCAR Reels And Police Investigate
Comment Now Follow Comments

NASCAR star Tony Stewart hit and killed another driver who was walking on the track in a sprint car race on Saturday night.

(Video of the incident is here. Warning: the video is graphic.)

The other driver, Kevin Ward Jr., had collided with Stewart on the previous lap, leaving Ward’s car with a flat tire and pushed into the wall. As officials threw a caution, Ward left his car and began walking down the track — gesturing angrily toward Stewart — before being clipped and dragged 50 feet by Stewart’s car.

Several spectators told Bob Pockrass of The Sporting News that Stewart appeared to throttle his car before colliding with Ward.

The race was immediately suspended, and Stewart was subsequently interviewed by the police. He was not arrested. Police said that Ward was dead on arrival at the hospital and they will continue to investigate the incident, asking spectators to submit their videos of the collision.

The incident, at New York’s Canandaigua Motorsports Park, was not a NASCAR event. However, it will likely raise questions about motorsports’ current approach to on-track safety, particularly because many racers — including Tony Stewart — have left their cars in the middle of live events to angrily confront other drivers.

The tragedy also came hours before Sunday’s NASCAR sprint-car race at Watkins Glen International. Stewart was in New York to compete at Watkins Glen.

Tony Stewart is among NASCAR’s most prominent drivers and one of America’s most famous athletes.

The three-time NASCAR Sprint Cup champion also co-owns a NASCAR team, Stewart-Haas Racing, that is ranked among the most valuable teams in the sport."

A Nascar driver is an "athlete"?

Wait, NASCAR drivers have a habit of leaving their vehicles to confront other people who are driving around in race cars?

While Tony Stewart may or may not have committed some form of homicide, on at least some level we must regard this as an example of the gene pool cleansing itself of stupid people.

Wait, NASCAR drivers have a habit of leaving their vehicles to confront other people who are driving around in race cars?

While Tony Stewart may or may not have committed some form of homicide, on at least some level we must regard this as an example of the gene pool cleansing itself of stupid people.

Yea, Tony Stewart was cutoff, and then crashed last year. He jumped out of his car, stalked down the track, and threw his helmet at the car. However, it was daylight, very bright, and he was wearing red. Ward was on a black track, seemed liked it was nighttime (I'm not sure), track wasn't well lit, and he was wearing black. Not smart.

A newspaper piece I skimmed over this morning about this says that the practice of drivers "walking out on to an active race track has to stop." Yeah, you think?

Men drink beer while watching their televised competitions. Sometimes one dies.

Is there another definition of 'athlete?'

I think that an athlete is someone who uses his/her physical abilities to best an opponent in a competition.
Driving at nearly 200 mph without killing yourself is NOT a physical skill?

I think that an athlete is someone who uses his/her physical abilities to best an opponent in a competition.
Driving at nearly 200 mph without killing yourself is NOT a physical skill?

You're the one who compared it to men drinking beer while watching TV! Sure there is some ability to maintain mental stamina for long periods of time. But to me it's more similar to chess players. The primary traits of a winning race team (and it takes a team) is a great car, top engine performing at peak conditions, a great team, and etc.

From one article it sounded like Stewart was second in line and the car in front just missed hitting Ward and Stewart didn't have time to react. The incident is well document, it sounds like, so if Stewart lost his mind, then it shouldn't be hard to show as such.

What a senseless way to die.

I would think it should be banned to stalk a car, small league or big league. Of course, NASCAR probably promotes it because it is good for ratings.

Mostly...:p

fat-belly-flop.jpg

I'm having trouble thinking of any criterion that would disqualify them from that label.
Would you consider a chess master an athlete?

I don't think the physical aspect of chess rises to the level of "athleticism", so no, I don't.

If, as your original question implies, you don't consider NASCAR drivers "athletes", can you explain why?

Back
Top Bottom