• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Nerds And Geeks?

Meh, a lot of the time some people love to use geek and nerd interchangeably, to be the same thing, so it confuses things.

Ugh. This thread is going the way of the "define thug" thread. What's with the obsession with word definitions these days? A new national pastime?

What's with the obsession with word definitions these days? A new national pastime?
No, just noticed that Ray can use a word to mean multiple things at multiple points inside of one thread, so trying to nail his feet to the floor before the discussion.

What's with the obsession with word definitions these days? A new national pastime?
No, just noticed that Ray can use a word to mean multiple things at multiple points inside of one thread, so trying to nail his feet to the floor before the discussion.

You will never be able to do that since I am you and you will only be able to nail yourself to the floor.

And that says a lot about you that you really are trying to control what I say.

You don't want a discussion.

Ugh. This thread is going the way of the "define thug" thread. What's with the obsession with word definitions these days? A new national pastime?

I don't think it's a national pastime, just an obsession for some on here. You never know, whitey might be using "nerd" as code for "nigger" and we can't have that.

And that says a lot about you that you really are trying to control what I say.
HAHA! You're putting words in my mouth. That's dishonest, according to some poster on this board.

On the other hand, I keep asking YOU to provide a definition. You provided one, then changed it, then provided advice about labeling people as if that was part of a definition.... I just want one concise post with your actual and complete definition of 'nerd' that you'll be willing to be held responsible for for the duration of a discussion.
Someone said you had a way with words, but mostly you keep leaving things out and then blaming the reader for not having psychic powers to tell what you really mean.
And bitch that people are trying to 'control' you.

I don't wanna stop

A nerd is a social misfit that is often more intelligent than other people but lacks social skills, and likes things like science fiction, computer games, swords and sorcery fantasy, and science, while most people like sports and fast cars.

A geek is someone who bites the heads off chickens or other birds while performing on stage. Ozzy Ozborne would be a geek.

Edit: I just realized I mispelled the title to this thread/ Is there some way I can correct it?

I'm not familiar with that definition of geek. As I understand it, when contrasting geeks and nerds:

Nerd: smart and studious but socially inept
Geek: obsessively well-studied about a particular topic, but not necessarily socially inept
Whew, I can handle these definitions, as I didn't want to have to start biting off bird heads. But I do like SciFi, science, computers, and fast cars. Watching other people play sports is for the birds...

Do you like nerds and geeks?

Or do you have nothing but disdain for them?

Considering I can be, and have been, labelled as a nerd and/or geek, depending on the definition one uses for those terms, I would have to say I like them as I am not one for self loathing.

The definitions, however, are apparently problematic. I consider myself a nerd and geek because I am passionate about computers, programming, sci-fi, fantasy, gaming, comics, and a number of other pursuits typically relegated to either nerds or geeks. Where I don't fit the typical mold, however, is in the fact that I have never really been socially awkward. Some may have looked down on me in High School for being a nerd, after all it was the early '80s, and there was nothing cool about being a nerd back then, but it didn't cause much in the way of problems for me.

I wasn't picked on much because I had a lot of friends, and I wasn't afraid to stick up for myself and others. I might not have been very big until around my junior year, but my Dad taught me boxing, and on more than one occasion I took on bigger, and supposedly tougher kids without getting creamed. I didn't win every fight, but I did well enough that the bullies respected me. I wasn't afraid to ask girls out on a date, even though I got turned down a lot at first. I just kept trying, and by time I hit that junior year growth spurt I guess I was attractive enough that I was dating fairly often.

Well, that's my story, anyway, and I'm sticking to it.

Go Nerds (and Geeks)!

I'm more likely to like a nerd, more likely to have some disdain for a geek, but this is not absolute. It depends more on other qualities in a person--honesty, reciprocity in interactions, relatively low boastfulness, ability to be self critical without constantly putting oneself down.

I have loved science fiction and watched Star Trek on TV ever since I can remember. I remember being in the front row of the theater in 1977 when I saw my first Star Destroyer and fell in love with most things science fiction. I enjoyed Buck Rogers, Battlestar Galactica, and other "disco in space" shows that were on in the 70's. I was picked on a lot as a kid, and started playing original Dungeons and Dragons in 1986, eventually branching out to multiple table top role-playing games. I took one computer class in high school and leaned some basic programming. My grades were sub par, and I never lived up to my potential, often because I was socially inept and was picked on a lot as a kid, at least until I was already half way through high school. Once there I overcompensated, got into a lot of fights, ditched school, and was a general pain in the ass kid.

Fast forward a lot of years, and I regret the time in my 20's and 30's where I didn't embrace my intellect, and my passions because they were "nerdy". The last 15 years or so, I've found myself, embraced my inner nerd, and I'm much happier. I stopped being socially inept in my high school years, but I always remained introspective. I've been told I can be quite charming in public.

So most of my "nerdy troubles" were in grade school and junior high, ironically when school was much less diverse, and very Christian. Once I got away from all of that I was much more able to find my way.

I'm a nerd and proud of it. What I don't like is "nerdy" type people that use their "title" to behave badly in social settings.

I do not generally like people based on category (there are exceptions) but rather as individuals.

Back
Top Bottom