• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Nerds And Geeks?

Rayschism

Basic Beliefs
small unobtrusive government, lots of freedom
Do you like nerds and geeks?

Or do you have nothing but disdain for them?

Last edited by a moderator:
Considering your track record so far, could you perhaps define 'nerd' and 'geek' and 'heek' and 'disdain' before we continue?

A nerd is a social misfit that is often more intelligent than other people but lacks social skills, and likes things like science fiction, computer games, swords and sorcery fantasy, and science, while most people like sports and fast cars.

A geek is someone who bites the heads off chickens or other birds while performing on stage. Ozzy Ozborne would be a geek.

Edit: I just realized I mispelled the title to this thread/ Is there some way I can correct it?

A nerd is a social misfit that is often more intelligent than other people but lacks social skills, and likes things like science fiction, computer games, swords and sorcery fantasy, and science, while most people like sports and fast cars.
Thanks. So, you buy into that whole prejudice about smart people having no social skills. Do you watch Big Bang Theory?
A geek is someone who bites the heads off chickens or other birds while performing on stage. Ozzy Ozborne would be a geek.
Thanks. And why do you lump them in with nerds?

And why are the only options 'like' or 'disdain?'

Look for a triangle with an exclamation point, that gets mods' attention. Ask for a mod to correct your title.

Thanks. So, you buy into that whole prejudice about smart people having no social skills. Do you watch Big Bang Theory?
Thanks. And why do you lump them in with nerds?

And why are the only options 'like' or 'disdain?'

Look for a triangle with an exclamation point, that gets mods' attention. Ask for a mod to correct your title.

No I do not to both. But it is true for many nerds. Sometimes stereotypes do have truth to them you know.

And I don't like complicating things unnecessarily.Sometimes complicating things is just the opposite of reduction ad absurdem.

Now let's please get back to the subject of the thread.

No I do not to both. But it is true for many nerds. Sometimes stereotypes do have truth to them you know.
So, again, you cannot come up with your actual definition of a word without pulling teeth?

You said
A nerd is a social misfit
No suggestion of frequently or sometimes or degrees of misfit. You just lumped all nerds into one prejudicial grouping
And I don't like complicating things unnecessarily.Sometimes complicating things is just the opposite of reduction ad absurdem.
Then make up your fucking mind.
EITHER all nerds are social misfits, and stand by that statement, or you spoke in error, rephrase you sweeping stereotype.

_I_ would define 'nerd' as someone who has a very deep interest in a very narrow topic. So you can have gaming nerds, and history nerds, and Scifi nerds, and gourmets, which is just French for 'food nerds.' The social fit/misfit problem would be a separate issue, to me, from the definition of 'nerd.'
Sure, but still trying to figure out just what the subject of the thread actually IS!
Are they ALL social misfits who are into ALL those topics, or are there varying flavors of nerds with subtle differences in their social skill sets?

So, again, you cannot come up with your actual definition of a word without pulling teeth?

You said
A nerd is a social misfit
No suggestion of frequently or sometimes or degrees of misfit. You just lumped all nerds into one prejudicial grouping
Then make up your fucking mind.
EITHER all nerds are social misfits, and stand by that statement, or you spoke in error, rephrase you sweeping stereotype.

_I_ would define 'nerd' as someone who has a very deep interest in a very narrow topic. So you can have gaming nerds, and history nerds, and Scifi nerds, and gourmets, which is just French for 'food nerds.' The social fit/misfit problem would be a separate issue, to me, from the definition of 'nerd.'
Sure, but still trying to figure out just what the subject of the thread actually IS!
Are they ALL social misfits who are into ALL those topics, or are there varying flavors of nerds with subtle differences in their social skill sets?

You're just overthinking things. And I think on purpose just to mess with me. Which only reveals the content of your character.

There was nothing wrong with my post.

You're just overthinking things. And I think on purpose just to mess with me.
Not at all. I asked for your definitions of the words you used.
You gave them.
then you won't take responsibility for the definitions you provided.
It's not 'messing with you' to ask for what you actually mean by any given word you're trying to use to convey an idea.
You just don't seem to be able to actually give your actual definition the first time you try.

Are all nerds social misfits or not?

Which only reveals the content of your character.
Feel free to imagine anything you like about my 'character.' You still haven't fully defined 'nerd.' Or at least, I have no reason to think you've finished providing your actual definition.
Wrong? I never said you did anything 'wrong.' Just noted that your definition seems to slide when held up to scrutiny.

Not at all. I asked for your definitions of the words you used.
You gave them.
then you won't take responsibility for the definitions you provided.
It's not 'messing with you' to ask for what you actually mean by any given word you're trying to use to convey an idea.
You just don't seem to be able to actually give your actual definition the first time you try.

Are all nerds social misfits or not?

Which only reveals the content of your character.
Feel free to imagine anything you like about my 'character.' You still haven't fully defined 'nerd.' Or at least, I have no reason to think you've finished providing your actual definition.
Wrong? I never said you did anything 'wrong.' Just noted that your definition seems to slide when held up to scrutiny.

No. I just have a different way of expressing myself and don't have the exact words that you are demanding that I use to satisfy you because you think you get to control what I say. All you are doing is revealing the content of your character and revealing your own cognitive biases, and some of them confirmation biases.

It is actually I that is challenging you.

No. I just have a different way of expressing myself and don't have the exact words that you are demanding that I use to satisfy you because you think you get to control what I say.
NOT AT ALL, Ray. I don't want to control what you say.
But I did READ what you said, and when I challenged the statement, you changed your meaning.

You COULD take responsibility for what you actually said, or pretend that I'm doing something underhanded... Like reading your post and trying to understand it. Ooooh, evil me.
All you are doing is revealing the content of your character and revealing your own cognitive biases, and some of them confirmation biases.
If that helps you feel that you don't need to change, more power to you, kid.
Um, are you trying to challenge me or trying to convey meaning?
Because if you're using words to communicate, you have an opportunity to actually put your actual meaning on the screen, and if it isn't what you actually meant to say, you can correct it.
Or whine about my character.

Maybe I'm just an English nerd, though. What with words having actual meaning and posts having contents and ideas that are and are not expressed through verbiage.

NOT AT ALL, Ray. I don't want to control what you say.
But I did READ what you said, and when I challenged the statement, you changed your meaning.

You COULD take responsibility for what you actually said, or pretend that I'm doing something underhanded... Like reading your post and trying to understand it. Ooooh, evil me.
All you are doing is revealing the content of your character and revealing your own cognitive biases, and some of them confirmation biases.
If that helps you feel that you don't need to change, more power to you, kid.
Um, are you trying to challenge me or trying to convey meaning?
Because if you're using words to communicate, you have an opportunity to actually put your actual meaning on the screen, and if it isn't what you actually meant to say, you can correct it.
Or whine about my character.

Maybe I'm just an English nerd, though. What with words having actual meaning and posts having contents and ideas that are and are not expressed through verbiage.

I am not trying to challenge anyone, just trying have a conversation.

And I have put my meaning up to the best of my ability I have not tried to change anything. It is actually you who are trying to change things. Not I.

Words do have meanings. They have many many many many meanings. And they are often misused and abused. I, however, really am not trying to do any of that.

I am not an English nerd, and do not try to get so hung up on a singular meaning. I prefer to keep things simple as it is often the simplest things that are the best.

I am not trying to challenge anyone, just trying have a conversation.

Jesus fuck, just pick one and stick to it.

I am not an English nerd, and do not try to get so hung up on a singular meaning. I prefer to keep things simple as it is often the simplest things that are the best.
Ray, YOUR definition of 'nerd' used 'social misfit' and 'lacks social skills.' Very simple and straightforward. But the fairly simple and straightforward consequence of that statement is that you buy into the media prejudice. If you do not buy into that prejudice, WHY do you define nerds that way?
If you don't REALLY define nerds that way, then what is your actual definition of 'nerd?' What do you really mean when you say 'nerd,' if not social misfit that's NOT like most people?

You can scroll back to your second post and review it, to see where you may have misspoken.

Jesus fuck, just pick one and stick to it.

Ray, YOUR definition of 'nerd' used 'social misfit' and 'lacks social skills.' Very simple and straightforward. But the fairly simple and straightforward consequence of that statement is that you buy into the media prejudice. If you do not buy into that prejudice, WHY do you define nerds that way?
If you don't REALLY define nerds that way, then what is your actual definition of 'nerd?' What do you really mean when you say 'nerd,' if not social misfit that's NOT like most people?

You can scroll back to your second post and review it, to see where you may have misspoken.

THe mistake you are making is that you think I am defining all people in one group that way.

Let me try this:

It all depends upon the individual. Because some people do fit the stereotype that both the media and our society presents. Others do not.

I am one that does fit the stereotype, and have experienced a lot of bigotry because of it. I also have poor social skills as well.

Before making the judgement of an individual, we should wait to get to know them first and see what they are really like, as in content of character.

Does that help you?

I apologize for my personal attacks against you.

THe mistake you are making is that you think I am defining all people in one group that way.
If that's my mistake, can you show me where in your definition you made the slightest concession that some nerds may not be social misfits?
Seriously, where did I miss this? It seems pretty cut and dried and sweeping.
Let me try this:

It all depends upon the individual. Because some people do fit the stereotype that both the media and our society presents. Others do not.
So, what's your actual definition of nerd, then?
I am one that does fit the stereotype, and have experienced a lot of bigotry because of it. I also have poor social skills as well.
Okay. How do define 'nerd,' then? I mean a real definition for the word, not just a description of some of the people who are nerds?

And why did you lump them with geeks?
Before making the judgement of an individual, we should wait to get to know them first and see what they are really like, as in content of character.
But if you're going to start with a label that has a media stereotype AND defend the stereotype as sometimes being appropriate, where do you get the, I dunno, authority to decry the stereotype?
Does that help you?
I'm still asking for what, exactly, you're referring to when you say 'nerd.'
Um... Okay, see, I was in the Navy for 20 years and have hung out with former sailors for another 17. I don't actually feel it's a personal attack until blood flows. You're fine, really.

Hell, my last hospital stay, my roommate only knew the words 'yes, no, fuck.' We got along great. Fucker was like a brother to me.

If that's my mistake, can you show me where in your definition you made the slightest concession that some nerds may not be social misfits?
Seriously, where did I miss this? It seems pretty cut and dried and sweeping.
Let me try this:

So, what's your actual definition of nerd, then?
Okay. How do define 'nerd,' then? I mean a real definition for the word, not just a description of some of the people who are nerds?

And why did you lump them with geeks?
But if you're going to start with a label that has a media stereotype AND defend the stereotype as sometimes being appropriate, where do you get the, I dunno, authority to decry the stereotype?
Does that help you?
I'm still asking for what, exactly, you're referring to when you say 'nerd.'
Um... Okay, see, I was in the Navy for 20 years and have hung out with former sailors for another 17. I don't actually feel it's a personal attack until blood flows. You're fine, really.

Hell, my last hospital stay, my roommate only knew the words 'yes, no, fuck.' We got along great. Fucker was like a brother to me.

It's clear to me now that I simply am not going to be able to give you any definition that you ask for without you repeating the same question over and over again.

Why don't you try giving me an example of what you will accept as a definition that you can deal with?

Edit: I just realized I mispelled the title to this thread/ Is there some way I can correct it?

What's not to like?

As happens to many words in the popular lexicon, the common usage of "geek" has shifted from that of a carnival side show performer. The geek was something like a freak, but had no freakish physical traits. He wasn't a giant, or a midget, or a bearded lady, or a hermaphrodite. The geek had to do something freakish. Posing as a boy raised by wolves was a common geek act. He let his hair grow out ragged and would kill a chicken with his bare teeth, to demonstrate his feral feral condition. It was this dedication to his persona, which gives meaning to the current usage of the word to describe someone who has dedicated most of their time to a single pursuit.

Modern geeks may be recognized by their obsession with knowing every possible detail of a subject, or activity. There are computer geeks, sports geeks, beer geeks, etc.

Everyone around here are familiar with various forum geeks. These are the people who try to appear as a stranger to the community, but already know everyone and the intricacies of forum etiquette. They proceed to carefully craft threads which start as slightly intriguing, move to provocative, and progress to outrageous, all with the single goal of getting people to repeat obvious answers, over and over again.

[

It's clear to me now that I simply am not going to be able to give you any definition that you ask for without you repeating the same question over and over again.
Well, if you'll provide a complete definition and stand by your definition, maybe give that a try and see what happens?
I mean, rather than offering a partial one, and then insisting that you didn't mean what you said, and then saying you've given your definition already and then shifting again....
Why don't you try giving me an example of what you will accept as a definition that you can deal with?
Scroll back through the thread. I done did that. I gave you my definition of the word. Do you have any quibble with it?

Do you like nerds and geeks?

As far as my understanding of the term "nerds" goes, I quite like them but don't socialize with them much or rather, I don't participate in their nerd activities. My daughter is a bit of a nerd but she is capable of participating in non nerdy stuff too. One of my friends has nerd tendencies also but he keeps his nerdiness in the background. So I guess I like the nerds that I know !

Simplicity needs clarity. You lack clarity. The quibbling you object to is your opportunity to rethink what you wrote and clarify it so it's less muddled. Why resist an opportunity to rethink your ideas and clarify them? Yes, you can define your terms better. No there are not innumerable meanings to words. That they are often abused is exactly the reason to think about them carefully and strive for clarity. Clarity of words <-> clarity of thought.

nerd |nərd| noun informal a foolish or contemptible person who lacks social skills or is boringly studious: one of those nerds who never asked a girl to dance.
a single-minded expert in a particular technical field: a computer nerd

geek |ɡēk| noun informal an unfashionable or socially inept person.
[usually with modifier] a knowledgeable and obsessive enthusiast: a computer geek.

misfit |ˈmisˌfit| noun a person whose behavior or attitude sets them apart from others in an uncomfortably conspicuous way: a motley collection of social misfits.

(from the New Oxford American Dictionary)

It depends a lot on the individual whether I like or "disdain" them. Very generally speaking, I agree with the dictionary on the "boring" part regarding nerds. I don't see that nerds are "often more intelligent than other people". They seem limited in ways. Not being disdainful of Nerdism... I'm nerdy myself. Just I don't see anything good in it. Or anything bad either, unless they're missing having a more vital life and suffer because of it.

Geek is fine too. Admirable if the person is skilled, as opposed to limited as with the nerd, and can knowledgably describe a lot of fun or helpful facts about whatever his obsession is.

Misfit. Now, this I can really get behind, as an actual life-goal. I think our society is nearly entirely idiotic and to fit in well with it is a contemptible thing. In history, one of my nearest "spiritual kin" are the Greek Cynics.

I'm not familiar with that definition of geek. As I understand it, when contrasting geeks and nerds:

Nerd: smart and studious but socially inept
Geek: obsessively well-studied about a particular topic, but not necessarily socially inept

Back
Top Bottom