• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Neural processing, from the bottom, from the top or somewhere in the middle?

Subsymbolic

Screwtape
Basic Beliefs
Beliefs are an ancient theory of brain content which would be ripe for rejection except it's the idiom in which we came to know ourselves and thus elimination is problematic. We make it up from there
I think there's a revolution in understanding rather a lot of neural processing going on right now and right under our noses. I've argued for this elsewhere, but I think I'll have a go at putting the case that prediction and error correction using strategies that are best modeled and understood as Bayesian equations instantiated in a parallel and multidirectional architecture is a very powerful way of looking at how we work and learn.

So, lets start with the fun of exhibit one:

http://jeffmilner.com/backmasking/

I'm sure most people have encountered at least some of these. Avoid the ones you know and instead try to make sense of the ones that you don't, without looking at the text saying what they say. Once you have exhausted your attempts to make sense of the more arcane ones, read the text and listen to them again. What do you notice?

That's the fun version, here's a slightly more careful version:

https://www.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk/people/matt.davis/sine-wave-speech/

So, take your favourite theory and consider how it might accommodate what appears to be going on here

That'll do for a start!

(You'll be needing two toilet rolls that have been sellotaped together to make a telescope at some point, so don't throw them away kids!

I think a certain Angry Floof might like to click the image in the second link you provided.

I have a sort of "many consciousnesses in a continuum" approach to reality, so there are many very similar consciousnesses in your brain, each triquarkron corresponding to a defining point for consciousness, but all of them having very similar experiences (locally in your brain), thus the "action as one", and the various quantum phenomena we observe due to them being a bit uppity at times. :D

Actually since neural processing also goes from output to input, actually verified, it isn't enough to limit from input to elsewhere. The only direction from which processing is eliminated as meaningful is from top down. First there is physical experience then there is accounting for it and we call that consciousness.

I've considered emotions a disorder, if not an outright disease. Maybe I should start thinking of them as a side effect of something else going on, just something I have to put up with, however unnecessary and distracting they may be.

I've considered emotions a disorder, if not an outright disease. Maybe I should start thinking of them as a side effect of something else going on, just something I have to put up with, however unnecessary and distracting they may be.

They are not a disorder or a disease. They exist because they served a purpose at one time. But we have constructed an artificial world and they can conflict with that world.

They are not necessarily a good guide for behavior in the artificial environment we have made. Especially emotions like anger and aggression which served a very useful purpose when you had to kill to eat.

But with practice they can easily be overcome in most situations.

Very interesting.

Let me check the lyrics

If there's a bustle in your hedgerow, don't be alarmed now
It's just a spring clean for the May queen
Yes, there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run
There's still time to change the road you're on

On reverse should go

no er'ouy daor eht egmahc ot emit llits s'ereht
nur gnol eht ni tub, yb og nac uoy shtap owt era ereht, sey
neeuq yaM eht rof maelc gnirps a tsuj s'ti
won demrala eb t'nod, woregdeh ruoy ni eltsub a s'ereht fi

The recording on reverse is different to what the lyrics on reverse might sound if one tries to pronounce it.

Led Zepellin is one of my favorite groups, songs like D'yer Mak'er, the Immigrant Song, Whole Lotta Love...

Back
Top Bottom