• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

New report on climate change released today

And when disaster hits you'll be saying there was nothing that could have been done about it.

None of the predictions to date have come to pass. This leads me to doubt the latest cry of "Wolf."

Perhaps it is a slow-moving disaster which we would have plenty of time to react to.

The atmosphere is holding more water. Average dewpoints across the CONUS have increased a lot in the last 50 years. The frequency of occurrence of convective rain events that drop more than 2 inches of rain in one shot has increased by 50% or more over the eastern 2/3s of the CONUS. From 1930 to 2000 the median low temperature at the coastal site by my house for August was 73 degrees F. Record min was 62 and the record warm minimum was 81. 90% of the data were between 69 and 77. In the last 20 years the median has been 78. 50% of the observations have been above 78. In the prior 70 years only 10% of the observations were that high. In all of the last 10 years there has not been one single daily minimum temperature at this coastal site below 70 degrees F. That is over three hundred observations. It has also been quite common to not go below 80F for days on end. It was 84F here this morning which was a record warm minimum for the date. We've gone >10 consecutive years without setting a record cold temp in summer here while averaging dozens of record warm daily minimums. That isn't happening by random chance. The lower troposphere is a lot wetter in this neck of the woods, especially in summer when the Bermuda/Azores high is dominating our weather.

The distribution of the data has shifted. Some would say that the climate has changed. The water temperature is generally running 3-4 degrees warmer, the Atlantic high pressure is deeper and further west which suppresses our diurnal convection because of warmer temperatures in the mid and upper levels. That traps a massive amount of humidity at the surface. Yesterday at daybreak the temperature was 84F and the dewpoint was 81F. The 20th century average was 73F with dewpoint of 72F. Do you comprehend how much more heat is in a parcel of air with a dewpoint of 81 compared to 72 and what it takes to suppress that parcel from rising up and raining out? That humidity is what is getting advected up onto the continent to drive extreme rain events.

Meanwhile, Gulf of Mexico absolutely churning a massive hurricane. Hurricane Laura has strengthened 60 mph in 24 hrs! This thing could go Cat 5 before landfall. Hurricanes have been rev'ing up on the Gulf the last couple decades. And unlike Wilma, this thing may hit at near maximum intensity.

Mathew, Maria, Irma, Joaquin, Dorian, Michael, Harvey, Florence ... Been kind of raging lately. Flooding aside, NC is lucky that Florence stalled against a front and rained out rather than coming ashore as a cat 4.

Some of the weak storms of late are notable as well. Isaias should have sheered out but the 90 degree water in the Bahamas kept it alive and then the way it interacted with an upper level jet to undergo a weird baroclinic forcing is something that I am not accustomed to seeing in early August. That EF3 tornado in Bertie County NC with Isaias was the strongest tornado I can remember being associated with a tropical storm.

Winters are a lot warmer here now as well. Norfolk is having Wilmington weather. Wilmington is having Savannah weather. Cocoa is having West Palm Beach weather. The winter of 2010 is the exception in the last 20 years. Even that year failed to kill the zone 9A plants that I planted in 1997 in zone 7B in Virginia. I have coconuts and mangos in my yard and haven't had to provide any frost or freeze protection for a long time. USDA map says that I am in zone 9B but I am growing unprotected 10B plants without difficulty.

My Stepdad, and avid hunter, told me the tales of yesteryear when it was cold enough to freeze the snot in your nose for hunting season. The marsh froze closing our season well before the official end. His father told tales of his father's day when they sold wild wood duck to the passenger trains when it was even colder. I have hunted there each season since I was 15. The climate has been steadily warming for over a century so that today the freeze comes after the season ends. I remember one year when it snowed in September, and another in June when I was a child. The climate has warmed; you have to go 200 miles north to find the conditions as they were 75 years ago. A similar shift is expected in the next century according to CMIP5 estimates.
We adapted. Now a bug mask is normal, but an insulated cap is not. no better.
The warming has paused for the last decade or two, it seems. Holding steady or a tiny bit of cooling. Perhaps because solar cycle 24 had a low peak and cycle 25 is expected to be about the same.

The warming has paused for the last decade or two, it seems. Holding steady or a tiny bit of cooling. Perhaps because solar cycle 24 had a low peak and cycle 25 is expected to be about the same.
On what planet has the warming paused?

The warming has paused for the last decade or two, it seems. Holding steady or a tiny bit of cooling.

It is still warming. There has been no pause. The warming has not been linear either. It has accelerated in the last 50 years as has the rate of sea level rise, some of that acceleration may be an artifact of the cold 1970s and early 1980s. Plus that cold in eastern north America with freezes in the 1977 to 1978 period and again in 1980 and 1983 may have been shading by the insane amount of particulate air pollution that we had back then. Anybody remember summer in the central Appalachians back then? You could never even see Massanutten from Stoney Man. Now you can stand on top of Elk Knob on most sunny days and see Mt. Rogers to the north and Roan, Grandfather, and Mitchell to the south. On the coast it was common to be unable to see across the James River in summer which is only 5 miles wide. With coal and diesel regulations the air is a LOT clearer than it was back then.

Anyway, there really isn't a solar output explanation for the trends in the data. Atmospheric physics are a better explanatory fit.

With all due respect George, I don't think you have been looking at the statistics. We are continuing to break records when it comes to warmer seasons, and this is happening in many parts of the world. Did you notice some of the temps in Alaska, Siberia and parts of the Arctic last winter? Boston was hotter than Atlanta for much of this summer. Not all places have changed at the same rate, but overall, the planet is becoming much warmer. Seriously, you need to do some DD from actual scientific sources because wherever you're getting your information doesn't seem reliable.

My Stepdad, and avid hunter, told me the tales of yesteryear when it was cold enough to freeze the snot in your nose for hunting season. The marsh froze closing our season well before the official end. His father told tales of his father's day when they sold wild wood duck to the passenger trains when it was even colder. I have hunted there each season since I was 15. The climate has been steadily warming for over a century so that today the freeze comes after the season ends. I remember one year when it snowed in September, and another in June when I was a child. The climate has warmed; you have to go 200 miles north to find the conditions as they were 75 years ago. A similar shift is expected in the next century according to CMIP5 estimates.
We adapted. Now a bug mask is normal, but an insulated cap is not. no better.

Some things are much easier to adapt to than others. When the proper place to plant the crops moves you have big problems--the new areas don't have well-developed farmland and that's something that can only be developed with a lot of time.

And it's really nasty in the hottest places.

flow 828.gif

This is the current river discharge map as of August 28th. Green dots are flows that fall within the middle 50% of historical observations. These are fairly "normal" flows. Blue dots are flows above the 90th percentile. Black dots are record high. Conversely maroon dots are <10th percentile and red are record low. It is striking how many observations are at the tails of the distribution of observations over the last 50 to 100 years. It is like rain is an all or nothing affair these days. That is something you expect from a warmer atmosphere that holds more water vapor.

View attachment 29136

This is the current river discharge map as of August 28th. Green dots are flows that fall within the middle 50% of historical observations. These are fairly "normal" flows. Blue dots are flows above the 90th percentile. Black dots are record high. Conversely maroon dots are <10th percentile and red are record low. It is striking how many observations are at the tails of the distribution of observations over the last 50 to 100 years. It is like rain is an all or nothing affair these days. That is something you expect from a warmer atmosphere that holds more water vapor.

I don't think you're proving anything here. If green dots are within the 50th percentile then you would expect half the dots to be green--and that's pretty much what we are seeing.

What fraction of observations would you expect to be in the tails of the distribution? Should be around 10% at each end for a total of 20% yeah? How many all time highs or lows should be expected when the data are normally distributed?

In any given snapshot shouldn't 90% of the dots be orange, green, or pale blue? Why are so many dots dark blue, black, maroon, or red? It's well more than 20%.

What fraction of observations would you expect to be in the tails of the distribution? Should be around 10% at each end for a total of 20% yeah? How many all time highs or lows should be expected when the data are normally distributed?

In any given snapshot shouldn't 90% of the dots be orange, green, or pale blue? Why are so many dots dark blue, black, maroon, or red? It's well more than 20%.

It's hard to judge just how many dots there are because the greens overlap a lot.

A Secret Recording Reveals Oil Executives’ Private Views on Climate Change - The New York Times
Last summer, oil and gas-industry groups were lobbying to overturn federal rules on leaks of natural gas, a major contributor to climate change. Their message: The companies had emissions under control.

In private, the lobbyists were saying something very different.

At a discussion convened last year by the Independent Petroleum Association of America, a group that represents energy companies, participants worried that producers were intentionally flaring, or burning off, far too much natural gas, threatening the industry’s image, according to a recording of the meeting reviewed by The New York Times.

“We’re just flaring a tremendous amount of gas,” said Ron Ness, president of the North Dakota Petroleum Council, at the June 2019 gathering, held in Colorado Springs. “This pesky natural gas,” he said. “The value of it is very minimal,” particularly to companies drilling mainly for oil.

A well can produce both oil and natural gas, but oil commands far higher prices. Flaring it is an inexpensive way of getting rid of the gas.
Just like how they knew that global warming was happening back in the 1980's, but that they responded by starting a tobacco-style denial campaign.

As fires burn the west, top Democrats stay quiet on the climate crisis | Democrats | The Guardian - "Nancy Pelosi has been notably tepid on green legislation – so are the Democrats serious about fighting climate change?"

Nancy Pelosi's district is CA-12, most of San Francisco. That city's sky has recently turned dark red from the wildfires.
With hundreds of thousands of Americans forced to evacuate their homes in the western US, Donald Trump hasn’t said a word about the wildfires blazing across multiple states in nearly three weeks.

But some national Democratic leaders also have been slow to call attention to the fires in California, Oregon and Washington which have killed more than 20, forced millions to breathe ash from orange-tinted skies that are blocking out the sun, and seen hundreds of thousands of people flee their homes.

Climate activists say the tepid political response, particularly from the Democratic House speaker, Nancy Pelosi, is yet another sign that US politicians are far from ready to take concrete steps to deal with the realities of climate change, let alone write laws to stop burning fossil fuels in order to slow its effects.
A year and a half ago, NP mocked AOC's Green New Deal as "the green dream or whatever", though she conceded "we welcome the enthusiasm that is there".

AG Jennings announces suit to hold Exxon, American Petroleum Institute, 29 others accountable for climate change costs - State of Delaware News
Attorney General Kathy Jennings announced Thursday that Delaware is suing 31 fossil fuel companies on behalf of the state’s residents and businesses to hold them accountable for decades of deception about the role their products play in causing climate change, the harm that is causing in Delaware, and for the mounting costs of surviving those harms.

“Delawareans are already paying for the malfeasance of the world’s biggest fossil fuel companies,” said Attorney General Jennings. “Exxon, Chevron, and other mega-corporations knew exactly what kind of sacrifices the world would make to support their profits, and they deceived the public for decades. Now we are staring down a crisis at our shores, and taxpayers are once again footing the bill for damage to our roads, our beaches, our environment, and our economy. We are seeking accountability from some of the world’s most powerful businesses to pay for the mess they’ve made.”

Some of the climate change impacts that are outlined in the complaint include:
  • Delaware has the lowest average elevation of any state and more than 22,000 residents are currently threatened by coastal flooding. The state has already experienced over a foot of sea level rise. That number could rise to over six feet by the end of the century.
  • Substantial flooding from climate change is expected in east and south Wilmington, an area where poverty rates reach up to 32% of the population.
  • Sea level rise will threaten over $1 billion in property value, and the loss of Delaware’s beaches will harm the State’s $3.5 billion, 44,000-job tourism industry.
  • By 2050, parts of Delaware are expected to endure 30 additional days per year of temperatures with a heat index above 105°F. More than 20,000 Delawareans are especially vulnerable to extreme heat, and, due to systemic inequities, communities of color and low-income communities are particularly vulnerable to extreme heat events.
  • Extreme weather and rising seas threaten Delaware’s agriculture industry with drought, saltwater intrusion into cropland soils, and higher temperatures and changing rainfall patterns that lead to crop losses, reduced yield, and higher infrastructure, irrigation, and energy costs.

Taylor Lorenz on Twitter: "Climate change is killing Americans and destroying the country’s physical infrastructure https://t.co/TDOJ8Fq56D" / Twitter
noting
The U.S. Is on the Path to Destruction - The Atlantic - "Climate change is killing Americans and destroying the country’s physical infrastructure."

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "It’s almost as if the climate crisis was punted for so long ..." / Twitter
It’s almost as if the climate crisis was punted for so long due to fossil fuel lobbyists & weak political leadership that it‘s exploded to become so large + lethal that we now need a massive infrastructure & jobs plan to decarbonize the economy on a rapid timeline

Believe me, I too wish that a little carbon tax here &a little fuel efficiency there would solve this.

There was a time in the early 90s where those policies could’ve made an enormous difference. But our leadership failed & ran out the clock. Now we need WWII-level mobilization.

As fires burn the west, top Democrats stay quiet on the climate crisis | Democrats | The Guardian - "Nancy Pelosi has been notably tepid on green legislation – so are the Democrats serious about fighting climate change?"

Nancy Pelosi's district is CA-12, most of San Francisco. That city's sky has recently turned dark red from the wildfires.
With hundreds of thousands of Americans forced to evacuate their homes in the western US, Donald Trump hasn’t said a word about the wildfires blazing across multiple states in nearly three weeks.

But some national Democratic leaders also have been slow to call attention to the fires in California, Oregon and Washington which have killed more than 20, forced millions to breathe ash from orange-tinted skies that are blocking out the sun, and seen hundreds of thousands of people flee their homes.

Climate activists say the tepid political response, particularly from the Democratic House speaker, Nancy Pelosi, is yet another sign that US politicians are far from ready to take concrete steps to deal with the realities of climate change, let alone write laws to stop burning fossil fuels in order to slow its effects.
A year and a half ago, NP mocked AOC's Green New Deal as "the green dream or whatever", though she conceded "we welcome the enthusiasm that is there".

SimpleDon said:
Am I the only one who believes that Nancy Pelosi reached her best if used by date a long time ago?

I think the Democrats have chosen one the worst possible response to the climate crisis, but I also believe that they set themselves up for this decades ago.

In order to address climate change, the country needs to quickly transition away from fossil fuels. This is feasible, but it requires massive government intervention in order to pay for the replacement infrastructure, decommission existing infrastructure that hasn't reached the end of its operating life. provide for the transition of the newly-redundant workforce, and prevent retail energy prices from spiking.

Since the emergence of Third Way politics, Democrats have precluded themselves from engaging in this kind of intervention and redistribution. Energy companies can't be forced to retire their plants; the government can't build their own plants and compete with private industry; government can't provide a jobs guarantee for redundant miners, technicians and tradesmen; government can't impose a price ceiling on energy markets. The Democrats have built their brand around the notion that they are an economically liberal party, which means that the only tools they have left are relatively slow-acting market interventions, like an emissions trading scheme, which ultimately shifts the costs of emissions onto the end user and doesn't effectively address the climate crisis. (Pelosi's lukewarm attitude to ambitious action is just representative of the party._

The other problem with this insipid approach lies in the fact that the Republicans can offer a more attractive alternative where they do absolutely nothing to address climate change and therefore offer no short-term risk to the voter. No risk to jobs, no risk to cost of living. The Republicans can easily motivate people to vote to stop the Democrats.

In an alternate reality, the Democrats are recruiting voters with am ambitious plan to build huge amounts of new infrastructure, guarantee workers' jobs, and guarantee a drop in consumer prices.

The Dems adopted the GOP plan and then the GOP met them half way with saying nothing needs to be done at all.

Back
Top Bottom