• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

New study claims 20 times more jobs created than lost with Trump tarrifs

RVonse

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
that people in the US are living in the matrx
What does "economy improving for the middle class" mean?

The middle class is shrinking.

The US is turning into a third world nation.

Trump's protectionism is how every nation got rich. It is making a few people in the US rich too.

It goes against the orthodoxy of the right but Reagan used them the same way.

Not everything the ignorant demented buffoon is doing is counter-productive.

Just most of what he is doing.

And I agree.

Russians meddling with some game played by rich Americans we call elections doesn't effect my life at all.

https://www.breitbart.com/big-gover...s-lost/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook

Time is running out for the democrats to get their house in order. Especially if the economy continues to improve for the middle class. The average working person cares much more about prosperity than they do identity politics or a fake Russia scandal. The Democrats desperately need someone to tell them that.

That's shocking that the far left Breitbart would print anything pro-Trump! It must be the truth...

https://www.breitbart.com/big-gover...s-lost/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook

Time is running out for the democrats to get their house in order. Especially if the economy continues to improve for the middle class. The average working person cares much more about prosperity than they do identity politics or a fake Russia scandal. The Democrats desperately need someone to tell them that.

That's shocking that the far left Breitbart would print anything pro-Trump! It must be the truth...
Fair enough. So show us something else that disproves my OP so we can see your truth.

I know I am working much more since Trump was elected. But it may just be a local improvement not seen in other areas of the country.

A president can borrow to create a bubble economy.

But there is a cost to many at some point.

A president can borrow to create a bubble economy.

But there is a cost to many at some point.
They say the housing prices in Seattle and California are bubbled up right now.

But I blame low interest rates and monetary printing by the Fed for that more than I do Trump.

You can bolster domestic businesses with protectionist activities.

We've known that for a long time.

But let's call it what it is.

Protectionism.

Not free market capitalism.

Protectionism.

You would be right if all nations were tarriff free but sadly, that is not the case. Trump has said many times that his ultimate goal is for no country to have any tarriffs. And that is what free trade is really suppose to mean
But whenever Trump mentions that ALL countries remove tarriffs, other leaders are simply not interested. Its the rest of the world that is not yet ready for free trade.

Trump is correct and now even conservative talk hosts like Rush Limbaugh agree with him. The US needs tarriffs to globally compete in the tarriff war we have already been losing for 30 years. The fact this hasnt been done already simply displays how incompetent our politicians have been.

But more on topic, the tarriffs being played today are not just temporary support, they are meant to give the US an equal opportunity. IOW, the Trump tarriffs are not just a temp sugar high.

Trump says today... blah, blah, blah.

Trump says tomorrow... blah, blah, blah no good.

He's a senile ignoramus.

Drunk with power.

And his policies are called protectionism.

That is what you are promoting.

Your own word "study' is erroneous...but "claim" is just that. The original claim is utter shyte. Dems are just fine...rethiugs are fucked.

The question is sustainability and quality of jobs. $15-25 an hour are not family living wages. Manufacturing will not come back, computerization and automation precludes that. The debt is accelerating.

It is a big bubble that will burst.

How in the fuck can there be a study out?! The tariffs are new, the effects just starting, and someone has managed to publish a study?

How in the fuck can there be a study out?! The tariffs are new, the effects just starting, and someone has managed to publish a study?
A study that shows the job gains to job losses ratio is 20 to 1. If the linked article is accurate, this ratio is obtained by taking the job gains that are directly affected (about 11,000) and dividing by the job losses that are directly affected (about 500). That "methodology" ignores the widespread indirect effect of tariffs on industries that use inputs that are directly more expensive due to tariffs. For example, any job loses in the construction or nail industry due to the higher costs of steel are not included in the jobs lost.

One of the reasons that tariffs or other trade protectionism is popular is that the benefits are concentrated and easily identified while the costs are widely dispersed and harder to track.

I just finished John Oliver's This Week Tonight where he does a piece on trade. BMW has its largest plant in the world in Spartanburg, North Carolina where they make luxury SUVs. They are being hit with double whammy from tariffs: the costs of making the SUVs is rising, and sales in China are falling due the retaliation tariffs China is imposing.

To put it charitably, that study is incredibly sloppy.

Breitbart is a far far right "news" entity that exists to reelect Trump and further drive it's alt-right agenda.

Breitbart is a far far right "news" entity that exists to reelect Trump and further drive it's alt-right agenda.

I'm pretty sure that Jimmy was being sarcastic. When I saw that the OP's source was Breitbart, I saw no reason to read it. I only read actual sources of journalism and only read studies done by real economists. Even at that, one must be skeptical about these studies, regardless of the source. And, as already been mentioned, it's far too early to be doing studies on the effect of the tariffs. I doubt this tariff mess will end well if it continues to go on very long.

Protectionism works.

It is no joke.

But of course it flies in the face of the religion of free markets.

Fair enough. So show us something else that disproves my OP so we can see your truth.

I know I am working much more since Trump was elected. But it may just be a local improvement not seen in other areas of the country.

First off, your source is so openly incestuous with the Republican Party in general and Trump in particular, it has less credibility than Omarosa with regards to facts on the Trump administration.

Secondly the "fact" in the article that was sourced was from the Coalition for a Prosperous America, a group with a very suspicious name that obviously is a SuperPAC. It is run by:

Former Trump trade adviser Dan DiMicco and
"Business leader" who endorsed Trump just days after the Access Hollywood scandal Brian O'Shaugnessy

Not exactly my idea of impartial researchers. If you want some counter points, here are a few:

source

• A group representing the solar power industry says that the Trump administration’s decision to increase taxes on imported solar panels will cause the loss of 23,000 jobs this year, with more job cuts in the years ahead.

• The Council on Foreign Relations estimates that Trump’s 25% tax on imported steel would cause 18,000 to 40,000 auto-industry job losses in the U.S. by the end of next year.

• A study from the American Action Forum indicates that a 25% tax on imported cars and auto parts would result in “a net decrease of 157,000 jobs.”

Here is another article citing the Tax Foundation estimates, a non profit organization that has existed since the '30s

Overall, however, most economists believe the tariffs will be a job killer. The Tax Foundation estimates that the Trump tariffs will immediately result in the loss of 48,585 jobs and that job losses could number as high as 250,000 if Trump goes ahead with plans to impose new tariffs on another $200 billion worth of Chinese products.

There is a fuck ton of fake news in the US these days. It's just not coming from mainstream media.

Protectionism.

You would be right if all nations were tarriff free but sadly, that is not the case. Trump has said many times that his ultimate goal is for no country to have any tarriffs. And that is what free trade is really suppose to mean
But whenever Trump mentions that ALL countries remove tarriffs, other leaders are simply not interested. Its the rest of the world that is not yet ready for free trade.

Trump is correct and now even conservative talk hosts like Rush Limbaugh agree with him. The US needs tarriffs to globally compete in the tarriff war we have already been losing for 30 years. The fact this hasnt been done already simply displays how incompetent our politicians have been.
The 1920's are calling and want their outdated and ridiculously oversimplified economic theory back.

But more on topic, the tarriffs being played today are not just temporary support, they are meant to give the US an equal opportunity.
Equal opportunity at what? Uplift to the industries in the US that haven't been here in decades?

Last edited:

First off, your source is so openly incestuous with the Republican Party in general and Trump in particular, it has less credibility than Omarosa with regards to facts on the Trump administration.

Secondly the "fact" in the article that was sourced was from the Coalition for a Prosperous America, a group with a very suspicious name that obviously is a SuperPAC. It is run by:

Former Trump trade adviser Dan DiMicco and
"Business leader" who endorsed Trump just days after the Access Hollywood scandal Brian O'Shaugnessy

Not exactly my idea of impartial researchers. If you want some counter points, here are a few:

source

• A group representing the solar power industry says that the Trump administration’s decision to increase taxes on imported solar panels will cause the loss of 23,000 jobs this year, with more job cuts in the years ahead.

• The Council on Foreign Relations estimates that Trump’s 25% tax on imported steel would cause 18,000 to 40,000 auto-industry job losses in the U.S. by the end of next year.

• A study from the American Action Forum indicates that a 25% tax on imported cars and auto parts would result in “a net decrease of 157,000 jobs.”

Here is another article citing the Tax Foundation estimates, a non profit organization that has existed since the '30s

Overall, however, most economists believe the tariffs will be a job killer. The Tax Foundation estimates that the Trump tariffs will immediately result in the loss of 48,585 jobs and that job losses could number as high as 250,000 if Trump goes ahead with plans to impose new tariffs on another $200 billion worth of Chinese products.

There is a fuck ton of fake news in the US these days. It's just not coming from mainstream media.

So the Breitbart article was candy for the kiddies. No real nourishment.

Back
Top Bottom