• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

News flash: NASA got too optimistic

Well, rockets sometimes explode, especially the ones of new design.

This was a reliable old design. But yes, even they sometimes explode. I was in the backyard, hoping to catch a glimpse; my son was in the parking lot at school, doing the same, but he also had the live feed on his phone. So he knew right away, while I stood there cursing the clouds.

You realize they just blew up an Antares rocket? It's ass exploded 20 seconds into the flight.

Was the point of the OP to make a joke? Are you against the Antares rocket? What's the point?

It was a joke that apparently everyone missed.

An Antares rocket, or a rocket to Antares? That's why I was saying the got too optimistic.

Was the point of the OP to make a joke? Are you against the Antares rocket? What's the point?

It was a joke that apparently everyone missed.

An Antares rocket, or a rocket to Antares? That's why I was saying the got too optimistic.
I actually got your "joke", but only after I had been told to look for a joke.

This was a reliable old design.
Not exactly because some parts (ukrainian ones) are new design.
And we don't know for sure if it was engine, could be fuel tank and fuel tank is certainly new design.

The problem was they did not have error bars on test data...tat's what happens when engineers do rocket science...

Another case in point.Some people just do not understand humor.
Would seem Loren is an expert on everything but humor.

Alternately, if they could show that zero-gee cloning technology would produce a cure for ebola, they'd have enough money to launch an aircraft carrier into orbit...

This actually got me curious - if costs quite a bit per kg to send something into space, so is there actually enough money in the world to launch an aircraft carrier into orbit?

It turns out that there is. In fact, there's more than that amount in just physical paper/coin money.

Something to strive for...

I do not know that NASA has produced anything of a great material significance. What has the ISS produced?

What the ISS has demonstrated is that humans going into long term low/zero g regardless of preventive regimens will deteriorate.

The GAO has consistently said that NASA as trickle down creates more in tax revenue than is spent on funding. It is a good stimulus. It also promotes interest in science and engineering.

Boeing developed a scaled down remotely piloted shuttle the Air Force is using. I do not see why it could not be modified or cargo supply for the ISS.,or simple human ferrying. You don't need windows.

Alternately, if they could show that zero-gee cloning technology would produce a cure for ebola, they'd have enough money to launch an aircraft carrier into orbit...

This actually got me curious - if costs quite a bit per kg to send something into space, so is there actually enough money in the world to launch an aircraft carrier into orbit?

It turns out that there is. In fact, there's more than that amount in just physical paper/coin money.

Something to strive for...
And suddenly, the day has purpose....

There was a car accident yesterday! Another example of the Department of Transportation's hubris.

Back
Top Bottom