• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

NFL

blastula

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Gnostic atheist
This has been one of my favorite seasons of concussionball. The safety rules changes likely did open up the passing game, but the defenses did catch up later in the year. It looked early like it would easily break the season points record, but ended up the second highest scoring season in modern era behind 2013. After the KC-LA record scoring explosion in week 12 and people were wondering if this is the new normal, the offenses came back down closer to earth.

There is no one obviously superior team right now, which is fun. I think any postseason team but Dallas and Philly can still plausibly win it all. (you're welcome for the reverse jinx.)

There were more than usual close competitive games this year.

Usually there are a couple teams to keep an eye on, but this year is much different. The Colts and Ravens bother me the most in the AFC as opponents to the New England Defensive Sieves.

No need to worry about the Ravens now, put to the sword by an unconvincing Chargers and a hapless Ravens quarterback. Dear oh dear.

When is a catch not a completion?

Good ole NFL and the complications caused by 100,000,000 rules. A pass, a catch, a fumble, a play blown dead by the referees, an incompletion.

The call might have technically been correct, but only because the referees were wrong.

What's messed up is that the ball is sitting there on the 3 and no one on either team bothers to pick it up, just in case. I think the 3 closest players were Eagles. If the ball is loose & you have any doubt as to whether or not it's a live ball, pick it up.

What's messed up is that the ball is sitting there on the 3 and no one on either team bothers to pick it up, just in case. I think the 3 closest players were Eagles. If the ball is loose & you have any doubt as to whether or not it's a live ball, pick it up.
It was blown dead. Huge penalties involved playing against a player if the play is blown dead.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39LdAJRamFs[/YOUTUBE]

No senor! That miss was excellent drama, from when he made it the first time after the timeout to tbe double doink and the collapsing Bears mascot, and the reactions on Nagy and Trubisky. And that it was the 6th time he's hit an upright this season. And it was slightly tipped.

Foles does it again, and Dallas won, so I clearly don't know what I'm talking about. I had rather the Rams play Dallas than Bears but now maybe not. Elliot will probably get 200 yards. Goff of late has as much fumbleitis as Lamar Jackson, and Gurley is injured, so not as optimistic as should be at 7 point favorites.

On paper, the divisional round looks very competitive all around. Mahomes vs. Luck could be start of many playoff meetings. Saints totally embarrassed Eagles 2 months ago, but can't see that happening this time.

Rivers finally gets a chance to avenge his loss to Brady in the 2007 conference final. That has to be the longest time between having same teams and quarterbacks getting a rematch. A win would be Rivers first against Brady all time in his 8th try.

It was blown dead. Huge penalties involved playing against a player if the play is blown dead.

But all they had to do was pick up the ball; it was just lying there. If opposing players go for a dead ball and make contact with each other, there's either no penalty or offsetting penalties.

It might have been a race between Miller and Leblanc.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSDEpPqbPj0[/YOUTUBE]

LA v LA in the Super Bowl. Never before has such craziness happened. And knowing LA, all of a sudden people in LA would start giving a damn about football. People will rush out to buy their Raider and Jim Everett jerseys.

Until we get to the La La Super Bowl, the Chargers need to handle the Patriots in New England. In the last 18 years, New England is undefeated at home in January, when you exclude their losses. Philip Rivers is also like 37 years old, which is really really old. The weather is forecasted to be sunny and in the 20s, which will be difficult with such an old QB to play in.
Finally, the main reason teams lose to New England in New England is the ole Foxboro verses Foxborough trick. Which one is the stadium in? HAW! Duped again.

I've heard there are other teams playing still in the playoffs. Good luck to all of them, except the Eagles. They can rot in hell with their success in the clutch failure of a QB. Sure, he can win when it matters most, but tell me what is his pre-season record?

I'd like to see the Chargers win but they were so unconvincing in their win over the Ravens I just don't see them doing it.

LA v LA in the Super Bowl. Never before has such craziness happened. And knowing LA, all of a sudden people in LA would start giving a damn about football. People will rush out to buy their Raider and Jim Everett jerseys.

People in L.A. like football, but because so many people in SoCal are originally from somewhere else, or have parents and grandparents that came from somewhere else, you have a lot of different fans of different teams. A friend of mine's parents came from Chicago. Therefore, Bears fans. I know someone whose grandparents came from New York: Giants fans. Etc.

Also, there's lots of things to do in SoCal, which is already an ungodly expensive place to live, so why shell out big money to see a horribly managed, underperforming team--and have the pleasure of sitting in fucking traffic for hours before and after the game. It's like going to work to watch a sports-disaster unfold, except you pay to watch it instead of getting paid.

Granted, the Rams are good, so that helps attendance. And the Chargers are good too, but they need to rebrand (change the name and colors). Nobody, but nobody in L.A. gives a flying fuck about the Chargers. They do have some decent support in the Inland Empire though. But either way, at both stadiums, you'll see huge numbers of opposing fans due to the immigrant nature of Angelinos.

I'll grant that the Rams are a legitimate home team in L.A., but the Raiders are the city's most natural home team. Even before they ever came to L.A. (and then back to Oakland), they were more popular than the Rams, and that's still true despite the move to Vegas. In neither L.A. or Oakland did you ever see large numbers of opposing fans. Hell, go to a Charger game in San Diego and you'd see about 70% Raider fans.

I've heard there are other teams playing still in the playoffs. Good luck to all of them, except the Eagles. They can rot in hell with their success in the clutch failure of a QB. Sure, he can win when it matters most, but tell me what is his pre-season record?

Foles reminds me of Rich Gannon, except Foles has won a Super Bowl. Moronic NFL fans don't think he's good enough to be a starter. They're probably right. He just does things like drive his team down the field for the winning touchdown in the waning minutes of the 4th quarter against the best defense in league, on the road, in a playoff game. Who cares that he led the Eagle to a Super Bowl win and was the Super Bowl MVP? That doesn't mean anything.

Don't think the Cowboys will do much against the Rams - Prescott does not do well against a real pass rush - but on the other hand so far they've managed to win despite all their offensive flaws.

DwzeoYPXgAAFneX.jpg

Prescott did okay, it was Elliott who had a tough day. After just a few weeks ago when Chicago completely dominated Rams lines on both sides, I haven't been optimistic about their chances, but they were the dominators yesterday, most rushing yards Dallas has given up in a playoff. Next up, one of the teams they lost to already.

I've been following the Chargers since about 2000, and I can't remember another team getting tough, big time wins like they did this year, at Pittsburgh, behind in the 4th quarter and winning on the last play. Then at KC, coming from 14 down in the 4th, and going for 2 instead of a tie with seconds left. This is not the same old soft, finding a way to lose Chargers. They can take this game today.

Well this is a different team, usually they're in the game till the end and find a stupid way to lose. They front loaded all the stupid this time. NE at KC should be entertaining.

Back
Top Bottom