• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

NFL

Oh boy! The AFC can go anywhere at this point.

Four teams can still take the top seed in the AFC, going into the final week. The Titans are the first in line with the Patriots needing the most help to take that Bye position. Also in the AFC, 8th and 11th place still can weasel into 7th place. 9th and 10th can't. It is almost certain tiebreakers will determine which seed multiple teams are. Patriots could play the third seed (based on a tiebreaker with Indianapolis based on average phase of moon for victories)... or get a Bye. I think anyone could play anyone else, given the right circumstances in the first round.

I think something weird could happen. If the Patriots win, and Tennessee and Kansas City lose, the Patriots get the First Seed, even if Buffalo wins the AFC East. The WashPo article doesn't say as much, but that seems to be what happens.

Scratch that. Top Conference Team is based on best division winner. Which would be odd, because the Patriots would have the tiebreaker, but not win the conference.

I don't like this new system where only one team gets a bye, it's such a big advantage to give to only one team. Not just cuz Rams are sitting at 2, I can't see them winning at GB either way. Rams play SF next, a team they haven't beat in 5 games, so the 2 spot is not so secure. They've won 5 straight, but have some ugly wins in there. Stafford has been showing an untimely talent for the pick 6, been getting the yips near his end zone. He's thrown 4 this year, threw one last week. They did end up winning, as they did they the prior week despite 3 picks, which is I guess a good sign that they can overcome those TOs, but they were lucky to face Ravens not a full strength, and got some lucky big plays in both games. Stafford is also unhelpfully a slow starter in games, he plays best in 4th quarter which is nice, but would be better not to be digging such big holes.

Ravens still alive, but, both they and their next opponent Pittsburgh will need Colts to lose to Jaguars, along with other help, and that game is probably the biggest lock of the week or even year. Their games have the same start time.

Titans should get the top spot, but they are getting little respect from oddsmakers, being ranked below KC and Bills. Bengals also not much respect even though they are so hot right now. Chiefs are having trouble with Denver atm.

Chargers and Raiders get to play an elimination game Sunday night, because Chargers managed to get killed by Houston, and Raiders have salvaged a season that seemed over with a clutch win over the previously hot Colts.

Biggest surprise to me is to see that the Eagles are already in.

Just started watching the KC game in time to see Denver on a drive into the red zone with the lead and then this happened.

Patriots appear to be a one and done this playoff year, which is fine. Buffalo seems to be the most insane team of the season, the best team that can't manage to do crap on the field.

I will note the Patriots did get screwed with the no contact unnecessary roughing call. Yes, it would have been had contact been made. KC and Tennessee are the favorites in the AFC. If Buffalo ever decided to get going, they'd be a force too. The way this season has gone, who the heck knows. It'll be coaching and matchups.

The NFC seems a bit wider... and Dallas, who suck.

Ravens still alive, but, both they and their next opponent Pittsburgh will need Colts to lose to Jaguars, along with other help, and that game is probably the biggest lock of the week or even year. Their games have the same start time.

lol, and that is why I don't bet on football. Very weird that a team with all the incentive to win, loses to a weaker team on paper who had incentive to lose. Jaguars had their cake and ate it though because Detroit also managed to win a game they had incentive to lose.

Chargers and Raiders get to play an elimination game Sunday night, because Chargers managed to get killed by Houston, and Raiders have salvaged a season that seemed over with a clutch win over the previously hot Colts.

Pittsburgh is as happy as the Raiders for winning, and not tying which they were in surprisingly high danger of, Raiders only breaking a tie in the last seconds of OT. It was another of those amazingly wild games that 2021 has been known for.

Both LA teams lost in OT. The Rams back into the playoffs with a choke job in the second half of a game they led 17-0. Stafford got off to a good start for a change but finished poorly, the game ending on an interception. McVay made some questionable decisions at the end that didn't help.

AZ backed in too, failing to take advantage of Rams loss.

Important note to bettors, I forgot to wear my lucky Rams shirt today, but I'll remember next time.

Pittsburgh is as happy as the Raiders for winning, and not tying which they were in surprisingly high danger of, Raiders only breaking a tie in the last seconds of OT. It was another of those amazingly wild games that 2021 has been known for.
I watched that game but had to leave at end of regulation. What an amazing game. Checked things this morning to see what happened and see that the game was tied in overtime with 2 seconds remaining when the winning 47 yard field goas was kicked. Just a wacky and amazing finish to the regular season.

11hours of football testing, I’m exhausted, particularly after watching the Chargers who insisted on doing things the very hard way.

11hours of football testing, I’m exhausted, particularly after watching the Chargers who insisted on doing things the very hard way.
Yea, that was a frustrating game. They really need a right tackle and improvement on defense. Herbert will sign a massive massive contract next year.

Mother of Jebus! Buffalo was playing with the cheat codes last night. They could have fumbled the ball and still manage to score a touchdown. Jones wasn't great, but his performance was notably better than his stats, and a number of drops. The one end zone interception will have an unknown impact on the course of that game. He doesn't pull off the crazy catch, Patriots likely get a TD and it is 7-7. Don't recall hearing Judon's name much.

Otherwise, Buffalo's great defense was on show last night. And they held the Patriots back, while their offense performed perfectly. Not certain how much was an indicator of the improvements the Pats need verses how good Buffalo is, but I've been of the mindset the Bills were the best team in the AFC all year, they just weren't playing like it at times.

Pats had a slow start to the year, performed better, made the playoffs, lost to a better team. Mac Jones shows promise, but we've seen one and done before, so time will tell. The Patriots spent a fortune which won't be available this summer, so they need to adapt and get better next year to make that spending worth it. I think maybe Belichick is finally not invincible coaching wise. He changed the NFL a bit and the NFL has caught up.

I'm happy, no Patriots fan should not be happy. Making the playoffs isn't a birthright, like it seemed to be for two decades. Making the playoffs means having a good year. Only four teams make it to the Conference Championship games. Only one wins the Super Bowl, and it is rarely the same team(s) every other year.

No shockers yesterday. Pittsburgh to me was the most likely to pull an upset just because they are Pittsburgh, but KC eventually got things in gear. Dallas lost, but to me they always seemed misrepresented by their record (due to the that easy schedule). And the Bucs beat the Eagles. One more game I think. Cards and Rams in one of the most absurd opening Wild Card matchups you can have.

I wasn't shocked or really surprised by the Cowboys loss, but I don't think they were necessarily overrated that much going in. In many respects they did well in the game, but 14 penalties! Aargh! That's lack of coaching. Also the fiasco at the end, with Dak rushing for 10 yards with 14 seconds left on the clock. Poor coaching.

I wasn't shocked or really surprised by the Cowboys loss, but I don't think they were necessarily overrated that much going in. In many respects they did well in the game, but 14 penalties! Aargh! That's lack of coaching. Also the fiasco at the end, with Dak rushing for 10 yards with 14 seconds left on the clock. Poor coaching.
Yeah, the clock is running down, the run is a bad idea. And you don't spike it, you have to run a play!

Yeah, the clock is running down, the run is a bad idea. And you don't spike it, you have to run a play!
You hand the ball to the ref, not to your center.

Kyler Murray looks like a mouse on speed, and not in a good way. I’d never seen a QB throw the ball like a grenade. Easy pick six.

Kyler Murray looks like a mouse on speed, and not in a good way. I’d never seen a QB throw the ball like a grenade. Easy pick six.
Good football over the weekend. But it was all chalk. No surprises. I give up football this time of year to ski unless my favorite teams (Ducks, Seahawks, Chargers) are playing; and they are all toast! To me, the best looking team so far is Buffalo; although Rams were very impressive yesterday.

You hand the ball to the ref, not to your center.
But they practiced handing it to the Center... so clearly he can do the job. :D

Had they run a play, they might have been able to have a chance. Attempting to kill the clock should never be the last play of a game!

Back
Top Bottom