• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

No proof torture helped US find Osama bin Laden, Senate report concludes

NobleSavage

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
A hotly disputed US Senate torture report concludes that waterboarding and other harsh interrogation methods provided no key evidence in the hunt for Osama bin Laden, according to congressional aides and outside experts familiar with the investigation.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/mar/31/senate-report-osama-bin-laden-torture

A report by the Senate Intelligence Committee concludes that the CIA misled the government and the public about aspects of its brutal interrogation program for years — concealing details about the severity of its methods, overstating the significance of plots and prisoners, and taking credit for critical pieces of intelligence that detainees had in fact surrendered before they were subjected to harsh techniques.

The report, built around detailed chronologies of dozens of CIA detainees, documents a long-standing pattern of unsubstantiated claims as agency officials sought permission to use — and later tried to defend — excruciating interrogation methods that yielded little, if any, significant intelligence, according to U.S. officials who have reviewed the document.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...l?Post+generic=?tid=sm_twitter_washingtonpost

I was under the impression that he was found due to some sort of tip-off or other piece of intelligence rather than interrogation or torture.

Republicans have been trying to claim that 'enhanced interrogation' is what led to finding him.

That way they could claim credit for getting him, and justify the use of torture.

I was under the impression that he was found due to some sort of tip-off or other piece of intelligence rather than interrogation or torture.

Well, there's a Democrat in the White House, so I'm pretty sure we're allowed to admit that torture doesn't work without being accused of treason.

Back
Top Bottom