• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

NSW Year 12 (leaving) maths exam

Tigers!

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Bible believing revelational redemptionist (Baptist)
NSW (New SOUTH WALES) had 60,00 students earlier this week did their Maths Standard exam. Apparently there was a lot of chatter about how hard and confusing it was .
I did my Victorian equivalent over 40 years ago.
Looking at the given problems they did not appear particularly difficult.
A few comments
- I did not do the Statistics question as it has been 30 years since I looked at stats.
- A lot of finance based questions

I did the questions shown (not all exam questions were shown, just the controversial ones) (excl. stats).

Overall I do not see what the fuss is all about.

What do you think about the questions and the level required?

Last edited:
NSW (New SOUTH WALES) had 60,00 students earlier this week did their Maths Standard exam. Apparently there was a lot of chatter about how hard and confusing it was .
Well, it's a bad sign when the people designing a math exam can't even tell the difference between singular and plural.

I specialized in maths in my last two years at school, decades ago, and those test questions seem rather elementary. Economics was a separate subject, and some of those questions belong there (though they are simple).
The SAT ones seem pretty simple as well, though many of them are rather verbose. I imagine the main problem for students doing this test is the issue of time.

Well, it's a bad sign when the people designing a math exam can't even tell the difference between singular and plural.
That's covered in the Advanced Mathematics Programme, (known in the US as the Advanced Mathematic Program). ;)

I specialized in maths in my last two years at school, decades ago, and those test questions seem rather elementary. Economics was a separate subject, and some of those questions belong there (though they are simple).
The SAT ones seem pretty simple as well, though many of them are rather verbose. I imagine the main problem for students doing this test is the issue of time.
I thought the questions given were a bit elementary.

That's covered in the Advanced Mathematics Programme, (known in the US as the Advanced Mathematic Program). ;)
I take it you lot call Brisbane a "metropoli"?

Brisbane is the place I would go to if I wanted to go back 20 years in time.

Brisbane is barely a metropo.

Back
Top Bottom