• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Merged NY Rep Santos (merged from GOP elected that guy in WW84 and GOP are liars)

To denote when two or more threads have been merged
By the way, this is Pilip.
0e3fe2d7-7e51-4e67-bc56-5c122aa70e12-1638191125.jpg

I guess it was an uphill climb, since Santos would have been the albatross around the neck of any GOP candidate for the seat.
The pic has no context, but the background suggests costume party to me.
Tom
She was a gunsmith in the IDF. That could be the photo on her employee ID...

Good result. Biden won it by 8 pts. So this trends well for Dems. Of course the GOP voted impeachment before that seat was filled. Johnson's job just got even tougher.
The seat shifted by 15 points. That says a lot about the Republican position. My father considered it about as good as could be hoped for when he lost by 50 points in a -60 district. (Sacrificial candidate, he only ran to keep his opponent from running unopposed.)

By the way, this is Pilip.
0e3fe2d7-7e51-4e67-bc56-5c122aa70e12-1638191125.jpg

I guess it was an uphill climb, since Santos would have been the albatross around the neck of any GOP candidate for the seat.
The pic has no context, but the background suggests costume party to me.
Tom
What says costume party to you?

This looks to me like it's taken out in front (mailboxes are rarely elsewhere) of a building with vegetation and dirt with a wall behind.

On the other hand, I see what looks like two barrels on her gun and while there are long guns with multiple barrels they normally have a single chunk of metal with multiple bores. (Think double-barreled shotgun, or shotgun/rifle combinations.) Separate barrels like this are for "guns" that are actually multiple guns ganged together and firing out of phase with each other--machine guns and the assemblies are big enough that they're mounted weapons, not something you carry. Thus I'm suspecting this is some sort of prop or cosplay.

On the other hand, I see what looks like two barrels on her gun and while there are long guns with multiple barrels they normally have a single chunk of metal with multiple bores. (Think double-barreled shotgun, or shotgun/rifle combinations.) Separate barrels like this are for "guns" that are actually multiple guns ganged together and firing out of phase with each other--machine guns and the assemblies are big enough that they're mounted weapons, not something you carry. Thus I'm suspecting this is some sort of prop or cosplay.
The gun has one barrel, and one shadow on the wall behind it.

Also, double barreled shotguns have two separate barrels; They have spacers braised into the gaps between them for cosmetic and stability reasons, but they are not "a single chunk of metal" in any way. It would be inefficient, awkward, and expensive to machine a single "lump" of Whitworth steel into a double barrel; And doing so would result in an excessively heavy and unbalanced weapon.

Mazi Pilip is one of those pro-lifers who supports a woman’s right to choose (?) - City & State New York - February 9, 2024 - "In a debate against former Rep. Tom Suozzi, the Republican candidate in a bellwether Long Island election showed her inexperience"
Suozzi, a seasoned politician, pressed Pilip, a political newcomer who has been averse to press and other debates, to elucidate clear policy proposals. Pilip struggled to express her specific positions on key issues, relying on statements like, “I have great skills, working with people, communicating with everyone. When I want something, I will deliver.”

... Suozzi said he’s “more conservative than 90% of the Democrats,” while Pilip, a registered Democrat who is running as a Republican, appeared to adopt Democratic talking points on abortion and guns. Both insisted they would be the most hawkish on closing the border, and each blamed the opposing side for not doing enough to stem the flow of asylum-seekers to New York. Pilip repeatedly tried to tie the former member of Congress to President Joe Biden and the Squad, often saying “Suozzi and Biden” when just “Suozzi” would have sufficed.
On abortion:
Suozzi made a point of needling the relative political novice at every opportunity during the debate. When asked about abortion rights, Pilip began what sounded like a well-prepared response in which she utilized her identity. “I am a mother of seven children,” Pilip said. “I think when it comes to abortion, every woman should have that choice to make that decision.” She suggested it was ironic that Suozzi, a man, would lecture a woman on reproductive rights.

But Suozzi turned the statements back on her. “So you’re saying your pro-choice?” Suozzi asked. Pilip began to visibly lose her composure as she responded to Suozzi’s questions, reiterating her belief that reproductive decisions are a personal choice while she is personally pro-life, and talking around using a liberal buzzword. “I’m asking you very clearly, are you pro-choice?” Suozzi asked again as Pilip attempted to toe the line between Republican talking points and assuring she would protect a woman’s reproductive rights. Pilip repeatedly insisted a woman has the choice to make a personal decision about her health, a talking point generally associated with Democrats, while saying that states have the right to make their own policy.
About taxes:
Pilip attacked Suozzi for failing to get the state and local tax deduction cap repealed – leaving Long Islanders with a higher tax burden. “You know the difference between me and you? You are a talker,” Pilip said. “I am the person who will deliver when I promise I will deliver.” But when Suozzi pointed out that New York Republicans have failed to get a SALT bill to a vote despite 13 months in the majority, she only offered that “they’re working on it.” Suozzi called it “an embarrassment” and reminded viewers he had helped pass the repeal three times in the House. “The reality is you can't just do a tweet, you can’t just do a press release,” Suozzi said. “You have to actually build relationships with people from both parties.” Pilip interrupted to say she’s “very good at that.”
Both sides claimed victory.
“Mazi Pilip’s performance was incredibly unsettling,” Suozzi senior adviser Kim Devlin said. “Pilip was completely uninformed, constantly repeated scripted talking points, and grew increasingly erratic over being challenged on issues.” In a press release sent hours before the televised debate, Suozzi’s campaign accused Pilip of failing to provide specifics when asked for them and simply repeated canned Republican talking points.
MP seems like Donald Trump, someone who greatly overestimates her competence.

Good result. Biden won it by 8 pts. So this trends well for Dems. Of course the GOP voted impeachment before that seat was filled. Johnson's job just got even tougher.
The seat shifted by 15 points. That says a lot about the Republican position. My father considered it about as good as could be hoped for when he lost by 50 points in a -60 district. (Sacrificial candidate, he only ran to keep his opponent from running unopposed.)
Not really. The district is in the Democrat's favor and Santos ran a middle of the road platform. The guy who won had already won there multiple times, and with the collapse of Santos, it was a miracle the GOP did as well as they did.

What the impact is, is that Biden isn't killing the party, Democrats came out about the same for Suozzi as they did Biden. To me, it implies status quo, which is good for Biden... cause the Dems did very well in the mid-terms (especially relative to historical trends), and Biden won the last election.

The gun has one barrel, and one shadow on the wall behind it.

Also, double barreled shotguns have two separate barrels; They have spacers braised into the gaps between them for cosmetic and stability reasons, but they are not "a single chunk of metal" in any way. It would be inefficient, awkward, and expensive to machine a single "lump" of Whitworth steel into a double barrel; And doing so would result in an excessively heavy and unbalanced weapon.
You are right, I agree that second barrel is a shadow. That's also why the gun looks too bulky.

George Santos is like a glitch in the code. I was stunned he showed up. Once convicted, he likely won't be able to do that again.

I thought floor privileges had to do with permission to speak, not simple presence. I’d think that expulsion would cancel both, but guess not.

George Santos on X: "Tonight, I came to the SOTU…" / X
Tonight, I came to the SOTU with an open mind and heart because I believe in the great idea that is the United States of America.

I just witnessed a weak, frail president deliver spin and lies to the American people from inside the chambers. I have made several personal sacrifices in the name of serving the American people. My promise is that I will never back down because of my love for this country.

New York hasn’t had a real conservative represent them since I left office arbitrarily, thanks to RINO, empty suits like @nicklalota. He is a willing to risk the future of our majority and the future of this country for his own political gain.

After a lot of prayer and conversation with my friends and family, I have made a very important decision that will shake things up.

Tonight, I want to announce that I will be returning to the arena of politics and challenging Nick for the battle over #NY1. I look forward to debating him on the issues and on his weak record as a Republican. The fight for our majority is imperative for the survival of the country.

God bless you all, and we are off to the races!
New York's 1st Congressional District - Ballotpedia

Nick LaLota was first elected to NY-01 in 2022, and he is running again this year. Considering how much local Republicans dislike George Santos, it should be easy for them to support NlL.

Will GS run as Anthony Devolder? Kitara Ravache? If the latter, he could hire Kyrsten Sinema as a fashion consultant. :D

George Santos, ejected from House and facing fraud trial, will run again in N.Y. - WPR - March 8, 2024 - stating that that trial will be in September.

George Santos Says He Is Done With the G.O.P. (The Feeling Is Mutual.) - The New York Times - "Mr. Santos said he would no longer seek the Republican line in a House race on Long Island, and planned to run as an independent."
“The Republican Party continues to lie and swindle its voter base,” Mr. Santos, who has been charged with stealing from campaign donors, said in a post on X. “I, in good conscience, cannot affiliate myself with a party that stands for nothing and falls for everything.”

There has been little evidence that Mr. Santos had done much campaign work or fund-raising for the contest. Nevertheless, he said he would stay in the race and take his “Ultra MAGA/Trump supporting values to the ballot in November as an independent.”

George, George, George...I really thought we were done with you.
His trial may start in September, so I'll follow it, if there's no other big news story at that point.
It is so hard to get into this guy's head. Is he enjoying this phase of things? Does he simply have a need to be talked about? You'd think a
natural instinct would be to go deep under the radar, but nooooo.
I looked up his wikipedia page and realized how little I knew about him. He has a husband -- can't believe I missed that. My favorite passage in the article, though:
Santos was raised as a Catholic and has identified himself as a Catholic. At various points in his career, however, he has claimed to be "Jewish", "Jew-ish", "half Jewish", "a non-observant Jew", "a proud American Jew", and a "Latino Jew".
Well, this proves he's way more versatile than Trump. And the "Jew-ish" construction is Bill Clinton-worthy.
Looking at the photo wikipedia ran of him, I realized that if FX or Netflix does a life of Andrew Cunanan series, they should sign up George. They could be brothers, in so many ways.

Back
Top Bottom